Upon The Recommendation of the Council....

Talk about the timely appearance of a thread...

I just got a packet yesterday. Felt completely out of the blue to me, though I guess I must have made some sort of positive impression on my DE, who I've spoken to on multiple occasions in the past year.

I actually find myself intrigued by it, but I definitely will ask if anyone else among the troop's adult leaders received it. I was looking at the various topics, and some look quite interesting. It would be a bonus if I could scrape the $ together so my son could go to NAYLE as well (he went to NYLT last fall).

Any suggestions on conference topics to check out for a committee chair?

Yeah, I got one too. Maybe because my pack is in such bad shape they thought some extra training might help. I'm holding out for BALOO training instead.

I also got "Scouting" and "Boys Life" for the first time on the same day. Maybe it's what we get for rechartering on time. Somehow I suspect everybody is getting the invitations.

Scoutmomma,

You are in luck!

There's a great course being offered this summer at PTC called "Strictly for Troop Committees." It is designed for people like you, Committee Chairmen, Committee Members and people who train and support them. It will help you to assess your Troop and your Committee and do what is needed to improve your Troop and have a great Troop.

Check out the third week -- June 16-20

I hope to be there.

Best wishes,

Neil Lupton

I didn't get an invite this year but have in the past. We went a few years ago and made a vacation out of it. The programs for the youth are great and geared toward their ages and Scout ranks.

Don't get too down on the pottery classes for the wife. Mine had a riot. Did stuff she never thought she would do. One of the best days she said was just sitting under a tree by the villa and sending post cards.

Our Councils contingent was starting their Trek two days after we got there so we all went to town for dinner.

the training was top notch and I still keep in touch with guys from my session.

I'd do it again in a minute.

• 2 weeks later...

So doesn't somebody want to donate me some time off work, so I can take em up on my invitation?

If you are invited, but can't go, can you ask to go another year? Do certain councils or regions get more spots, or was it just that our council may have been one of those "test" councils. I know a lot of people that got the packet. Really would love to go, and take my 17 year old and let him do NAYLE, but I just can't get away from work this year.

There are basically two ways to get an invitation, 1. be recommended by your council or 2. be in one of those "test" councils where everyone gets an invite. In my council to get recommended all you have to do is tell the council program director that you want to go, and other people can recommend you to this guy too.

AFAIK pretty much everyone that is recommended by the council gets an invitation, so just ask for one next year.(This message has been edited by click23)