Upon The Recommendation of the Council....

Yah, Its Me.... I'd say less than a true honor, more than a credit card application ;).

PTC is the BSA's main venue for trainin' the folks who are going back out into the councils to contribute and train others, eh? So it's a recognition that your council thinks you're valuable, or at least trainable :).

As the BSA's premiere site, most of the sessions get very high marks. Plus, you get to meet other great folks in your area of interest who make for good contacts. My experiences with the Center have been almost (but not completely... there was this once...:p) positive.

I'd say well worth pursuing if yeh can afford the time.

Beavah

How this happens is your District Key 3 or your District Executive and a few members of your district sit down in a roundtable format and try to see who they think would best benefit from the leadership trainings out a Philmont.

For some people this recommendation gets repetative, but if you can go I think that everyone that goes ends up coming back a better person.

I was wondering who to "blame" for putting my name in the hat, having also just received the packet. Now I have to figure out how to break the news to my wife. Probably easier to get permission to go for a week than a 14 day trip with a troop - not quite the same, but at least I'm getting to Philmont.

I don't think my wife will be too interested in pottery demonstrations, museum tours, and COPE courses, to say nothing of the sleeping on a cot for 6 nights. Maybe this is a good time for the in-laws to come visit and spend some time with their grandaughter.

The cost is surprisingly cheap - $420 including food. WB for me 5 years ago was around $220. What's everyone's experience been cost-wise for flights / transportation from the Mid-Atlantic area?

Gags

" Probably easier to get permission to go for a week than a 14 day trip with a troop - not quite the same, but at least I'm getting to Philmont."

Permission? Yah-crack! (that's the sound of a whip) You don't need no stinking permission. You say, "Woman! I'm going to Philmont!" Of course, you might wind up living in the basement but at least you made your point clear. :-)(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

Actually this year national is trying something a bit different, a trial with I think 13 Councils. Leaders in key rolls, ie SM, ASM, UC's, CM, DL's etc will automatically receive an invitation in those 13 trial councils.

Just ask your DE to have your name added to the list that the registrar sends to Philmont in I think Oct or so.

I went last year and I'm going back again this year. :) Guess you don't need to ask if I thought it was worth it or if my wife or my 6 year old and 10 year old had fun.

(This message has been edited by GNX Guy)

• 3 weeks later...

I had recieved my package in October. I immediatley came up with a plan to go, put in vacation time at work and it actually works out that my son is out of school by then. We have some friends in Colorado, so we'll stay there for a few days, but, there doesn't seem to be any more direct link into philmont except the Train. So, we'll fly to Colorado, then train to the station in Nm, then take the train all the way home! Railing cross country - my son and I did that a few years ago from Colorado and he still talks about that more than the 3 trips to disney! :)

I do wish there were a few more "off" days to explore Philmont. Can you stay there after the conference for a few days? (that's the only thing I didn't look into)

"I do wish there were a few more "off" days to explore Philmont. Can you stay there after the conference for a few days? (that's the only thing I didn't look into)"

I don't think so but there is a B&B a few miles down the road, private property that is surrounded by Philmont.

I don't believe that conference participants are allowed to go hoofing it off into the back country. Too bad because if I went back, I'd love to scale the Tooth again.