Service Hour Credit for Helping Chartered Organization?

Should Scouts get credit for service hours if they do a Service Project for their Chartered Organization. I know service to the chartered organization is encouraged, but many seem to think it is more or less owed to the chartered organization so should not be credited towards rank advancement. Scouts should do the service for their chartered organization without getting credit towards rank advancement. Does anyone agree or disagree?

OK, I'll be different ---

We don't count service to our CO toward rank advancement. The reason why is that it is a thank-you for all they do for us - and they do a lot! They even built us a Scout Hut.

The exception (isn't there always ONE?) is when one of the boys' Eagle project benefitted his church, which is our CO. We counted service hours on the project.

Perhaps if the CO was an uninvolved organization...but I'm not sure if that isn't really situational ethics...

I know a few troops that don't allow service hour credit for work at the charter partner. I have never belonged to such a troop. I agree with rlculver415 that the charter partner is critical to the troop. But I think that your explanation is a distinction without a difference. A lot of the organization we provide service hours to provide us with benefit. For example a local park we do a clean up in might allow us to hold activities there.

service hours to ANY community organization should count -

and when looking for service projects - who better to service than your own CO? yes, you should do them to thank the organization, and the organization should support your troop - isn't that the design of the system?

The church that has supported our troop for over 85 years knows they can count on the boys to not only volunteer for projects that the boys see and recognise as a need, but that they can also call and ask for help on anything. The Pastor and staff of this church are all female - and the majority of the congregation is elderly - heavy work is sometimes tough for them - so we are called upon for everything from moving furniture within the building, to helping the elderly residents of the rental buildings on the property move, to all kind of maintenance and cleanup, in addition to special projects and Eagle projects.

Truth be told, though - does it really matter? most of our boys give way above and beyond the hours necessary for rank advancement at these various tasks, anyway. "counting" the hours is never a problem for us.

My Eagle project was rebuilding/refurbishing a playground at the church that sponsored our troop. Even in disrepair, the playground was used a pretty good bit by neighborhood kids, in spite of the fact the church (increasingly elderly) really had no use for the playground, and wanted to remove it. So, the church didn't have to pay to have it removed, and the neighborhood kept a playground.