Just What is WoodBadge "supposed" to be...

Why do so many of you want to demonize Woodbadge?

Its a training program to assist adults in delivering a fun-filled youth oriented outdoor program. My post above was an attempt to demonstrate that a good Boy Scout program is more than just Pioneering skills.

Scouting is a complicated program. It has advancements (customized to meet the interests of individual scouts), boy leadership balanced with adult association, off-site campouts, meal planning community service, "ideals of character" and religious involvement. A lot must be understood to deliver a solid program. (staying on topic) Wood badge is a training event to help the adult deliver a complete program.

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

I don't get the need for some folks to slam the new course, either, especially from those who haven't gone thru it.

Someone mentioned WB being like Eagle, and they're right. The cornerstone of earning the Eagle rank is the project. Ideally, if they've planned it right, the candidate should be able to hand the project plan off to any Life Scout and have the project executed. But that's not how it works. They're also expected to show leadership.

WB gives adults that same challenge.

Scoutcraft isn't the biggest challenge for most Scoutmasters. The bigger challenge is making sure they've got a good program. Sometimes that means motivating and coaching the boys on how to lead, and sometimes it's all about convincing the adults to get out of the boys' way. Either way, knowing how to tie a one-handed bowline isn't going to help much with that.

If the end result is a troop where the boys are having fun, and the aims and methods are able to be applied, does it really matter that the WB curriculum isn't what it was ten years ago?...

Why do so many of you want to demonize Woodbadge? Its a training program to assist adults in delivering a fun-filled youth oriented outdoor program....Someone mentioned WB being like Eagle, and they're right.

Yah, I don't think folks are demonizin' WB, necessarily. Critiquing, perhaps :). It is a training program to assist adults in delivering a fun-filled youth oriented outdoor program. So it's a fair question to ask "Does it succeed?" Especially if it's our "capstone" training.

I figure it helps a little.

But I don't think it's like Eagle at all, except in da minds of adults who want to brag about their beads.

Eagle requires basic knowledge of real outdoors skills just to get started. We claim it takes about a year to teach those well, perhaps a bit more.

Eagle requires "advanced" knowledge in a bunch more outdoor skills and specialty areas. We claim it takes a couple of years to teach those.

Eagle requires service in a POR that is observed, critiqued, and coached. And probably actual real-live instructin' of kids and such. An Eagle Scout has been through several annual planning meetings for real, and been a leader on a whole bunch of outings, etc. etc.

We don't do much of that for WB, eh? We claim we don't have the time.

It's a fine course, eh? Gives folks a few ideas, gives 'em enthusiasm, gives 'em a social network, gives 'em an incentive to try to work on somethin'. Nuthin' wrong with that. Well worth the time.

But it ain't a Scouting MBA or an Eagle. And if that's what we really want it to be, we should rethink it.

Beavah

Hmmm, perhaps WB is a religion to some. Any critical discussions are met with the same response one gets when you critically analyze someone else's religion.

I have never had an abortion, but I have an opinion on it. I've never served in the armed forces, but I have an opinion on the Iraq war. The fact that I haven't attended WB doesn't mean that I don't have an opinion on it. In fact, I think my opinion should be extremely valuable to those who evangelize WB and want as many scouters to join them.

Maybe BSA should have let the course evolve over a number of years, rolling out changes over a long time instead of making what is seen as a drastic change to the course.

BMW used to say that their changes in styling and engineering were evolutionary and not revolutionary.

For me, WB was not a "substitute" for not having earned Eagle in my youth. The Scout I was helped make me the man I am.

WB, to me, is the "commitment" point in volunteering as a Scouter. I intend to be around the movement for years to come. It's a common bond with other Scouters around the world. It's a genuine goal that all who serve Scouting should earn.

It's a network. The two times I asked a WB'er for help and they personally had to say no, they also found someone else to step up and cover the need.

A wise man told me "It's all about people and relationships. When it becomes about activities and things, life will go awry. Focus on the people and the relationships."

My thoughts.

John

I used to be an Owl

C-40-05

I think I agree with Gern and Beavah, and FWIW, I almost completely DISAGREE with Kudu.

WB should be Boy Scout leader specific, 2-3 adults WB trained per troop, more for larger troops. Brownsea, JLT, NYLT, LMNOP, XYZ, PDQ and other alphabet soup courses are available for Patrol Leadeers and SPL's.

The troop should be run by the scouts, but WB trained leaders give the proper guidance and training to them.

WB, in my opinion should be viewed as the ultimate scout leader training experience. The guided discovery lends to the mystique.

The course should be outdoors as much as possible and Boy Scout leader specific.

"Brownsea, JLT, NYLT, LMNOP, XYZ, PDQ and other alphabet soup courses are available for Patrol Leadeers and SPL's."

And in which of them does the Scoutmaster teach Patrolmanship (exactly how to hold Patrol Meetings, Patrol Hikes, or even a tame form of Patrol Campouts) as opposed to "Leadership Development"?

I will be impressed with Wood Badge the day its graduates use the word "Patrol" (singular) more often than they use the word "Troop"!

Kudu

Kudu,

WB or any other component of BSA ain't gonna be what is was back in the 1960's. When I went to WB, it was patrol oriented. I attended Scoutmaster Fundamentals, also outdoors mostly) and patrol oriented. Today's IOLS is outdoors and patrol oriented. WB today is supposed to be patrol oriented, right?

Now, here's where I'll over-state the obvious: Troops are made up of patrols. SPL is the "senior" boy leader. SM guides the boys. If the SM attends the training and this next part is key - the SM must apply what he (she) learns in the various courses. Then if the boys apply what they learn at their course, it should come together.

Here's the rub: Some well meaning parents get in the way. Well meaning parents don't go to training and don't send their scouts either. Well meaning parents hover over the nest, hover over the patrol, hover over the scout, swoop down onto anyone who appears to get in their way. These well meaning parents screw it up.

I went to Brownsea as SPL, but it wasn't offered before that date ever in my council, so, I was there with other SPL's. I suppose JLT and other similar course teach the PL's and SPL's how to do the hikes, campouts, patrol meetings, etc. i can't say for sure, I haven't been to those course in 25+ years. Our troop has sent some of our scouts, they appear to learn something, but it's the SM who must apply what is learned and stick with it.

No Slack!

I have not been to WoodBadge.. maybe one day... but I think that the intent is similar to that of NYLT for boys. Many of the things, I see discussed here, are very similar to the things in my son's NYLT book. The team building and interpersonal skills are the same. The most common complaints I hear about WB are the same as the ones I heard from my son. the standard "Death by Powerpoint." He recommends it to his buddies. Says it was a hard week, but a great week, that he learned lots. Oh yeah, he went out of council, since our small insular council couldn't get enough boys to sign up. He had to learn those teamwork skills quick, since he knew no one there. I am thinking when I do WB, it will be in another council. Just don't have the belief in too many people in our council.