knot the usual knot question...

Winger,

I did pay attention in 9th grade. 10, 11 and 12 too when the REALLY big words got used. LOL Maybe I'll start using them too. Just don't expect me to explain myself to the confused masses. Now if there was just an interpretor for Beavah, we might be in good shape.

Brent,

I try to avoid going to our Scout Shop/Council office as much as possible as I usually end up with another hat when I leave. I do need to stop in this week for my silvers so I'll look into that book. Thanks. I did try to find some info on this topic, but all the other knot threads seem to quickly devolve into arguments about wearing no knots versus 43 rows of knots and I quickly lose interest in the arguments. If I want to listen to grade school bickering, I'll wait for my next Tiger Den meeting. Just seems to me that it would be darn near impossible for a 30yr old Scouter to have more than 4 or 5 knots (other than Eagle and AOL) without concurrent tenure, but I've seen it. Not that I'm questioning their integrity, that's for another thread.

"Devolve" Better Winger? LOL

It has nothing to do with the definition of "is," it has to do with the definition of "tenure." Tenure refers to a specific position. There's no real need for clarification since "tenure" is well defined in any dictionary as is "is."

I would argue that it doesn't even have to be "program specific" since one could be a Cub Master in one pack and a Committee Member in another. Two seperate positions, two tenures.

"Search the forum and you will find this question has been answered before"

Newton answered many questions about light but it doesn't mean that his answers were right.

Brent,

I'm not normally one to argue an issue to which I honestly don't know the answer, nor do I usually use quotations (possibly) out of context, BUT...

Got my copy of the Leadership Training Committee Guide along with my "silvers" and my District Committee patch after work today. Haven't read through the whole thing yet, but it does seem to be a resource I should have as Training Chair. As to the aforementioned quote concerning dual (or in my case treble) tenure from pg 25, directly after the subtopic Tenure is the subtopic Approval.  "Approval for an award is the responsibility of the council training committee; however, the committee can authorize others to approve certain requirements." Here it comes... "The local council is the final authority in interpreting and approving all training recognition awards."

I'm not saying you are wrong, all I AM saying is that apparently there is SOME room for interpretation.

I beg to differ...

devolve Pronunciation: \di-ˈvlv, -ˈvȯlv, d-\ Function: verb Inflected Form(s): devolved; devolving Etymology: Middle English, from Latin devolvere, from de- + volvere to roll more at voluble Date: 15th century

transitive verb : to pass on (as responsibility, rights, or powers) from one person or entity to another intransitive verb

1 a: to pass by transmission or succession b: to fall or be passed usually as a responsibility or obligation

2: to come by or as if by flowing down

3: to degenerate through a gradual change or evolution

Told you I paid attention. ;)

Merriam Webster online. www.m-w.com I don't think I have a dictionary newer than 1958. The matching encyclopedia was convenient for reports when I was in school in the 80's. 30 year old reference books are very useful for plagarism. LOL Somehow I always managed to forget it when I did my bibliographies.;)