things we might change about WB

I completed Wood Badge in 1991 (NE VI-18). From Wood Badge, partially as a result of immersion in role playing a Scout and partially from the counsellors, I developed a passion for scout led program (Scouting is a program for boys run by boys!!)that became my guiding light throughout my tenure as Scoutmaster and later as an Assistant District Commissioner.

Last year I retired and moved to a new area. At a Wood Badge gathering earlier this year I talked with a former course director about the high number of WB trained Scout Masters I had encountered who seemed intent on being the best SPL ever, and he told me the emphasis on boy led program was gone from the new and improved course. I admit it doesn't make much sense to emphasize Scout led program whe a large proportion of the participants are from program elements where this is not germane.

It's inmaterial to me whether the course is based on the elements of leadership or Covey's seven habits, the important idea to grasp is that Scout Masters are in the leadership mentoring business more so than leadership itself.

For Wood Badge to continue to be a valuable, successful program this concept needs to be put back in.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sharley,

I respectfully disagree that boy-run Scouting has been taken out of the program. The participants function as patrols, with PLs and APLs. The staff model how a troop should operate, with the CD being the SM. The SPL runs the program, with the SM guiding and mentoring. The PLs report to the SPL, not the SM. The SPL is in charge of Program, not the SM. The SPL runs the PLC meetings, with the SM setting in the back. The Troop Guides are under the guidance of one of the ASMs, but are directed by the SPL. Saying the course teaches SMs to be SPLs back in their troops is simply incorrect. To me, this is one of the real benefits of WB - teaching how a troop should operate. I read lots of posts here about a lot of troops that have gotten off the reservation and operate as Webelos III dens. I've had several participants come up to me and say "this isn't how we run things in our troop" and they are glad they got to see how a boy-run troop should function.

Building on what BrentAllen posted, the idea of WB is to show the participants how the scouting program works from the YOUTH perspective. They start as Webelos, cross over to patrols under a troop guide, etc etc. As noted, the course models an ideal scout troop. For some leaders, it can be a real shock, especially if they come from poorly run (for what every reason) troops.

I have to agree with Brent and emb021.

Of course, there is a flip side to what they said: The Troop, especially the program side Scouters, and the parents have to be willing to invest heavily in developing young men as leaders.

If we do not give the Scouts the tools, we risk setting them up for failure in program being boy-run. This means we have to influence kids to take Brownsea etc, and we have to use unit JLT (I am not a believer in the unit package of NYLT; I've been told by developmental psychologists who've studied both packages that the old unit JLT is the stronger program package).

John

I used to be an Owl

C-40-05

• 3 months later...

Greetings friends and fellow Scouters

I came home today from Wood Badge W7-589-2-08. Camp Kiesel Near Ogden Utah Since this is my second time through WB I feel somewhat qualified to comment and revive this thread. My first course was W1-611-87. That was 21 years ago. A broad perspective between the two courses. Both of my WB experiences will without doubt be remembered as high points in my life. My first course I was young and filled with expectations. Now I am much older and have hiked a few miles in these old boots. As has been said of the old course, much time was taken up camping, cooking and practicing scout skills. The modern course much of your time is spent listening to lectures. In My Humble Opinion the BSA spent too much on these presentations. The whole course felt too much like a big business training seminar aimed at businessmen with PhDs. I am just an old country boy with a high school diploma. Most of what was presented went so far over my head I could not tell you hardly anything that was taught. What I thought was missing was good old fashioned know how practical things like how to sit a boy down and talk to him, how to express love and concern in an appropriate manor. I remember listening to lectures in my first course but I also remember understanding them. Well maybe I am getting old. I am not as quick as I once was. I do know one thing, I do love scouting, working with the boys and adults. I plan to work my ticket and wear two sets of beads. Who knows maybe Ill go back to WB in 20 more years.

See you on the Trail

Scout Master

• 1 month later...

I have just completed my 2nd weekend of our WB course. Honestly, I didn't learn very much from the lectures. If you've ever attended any course on leadership or conflict management, you can TEACH the WB lectures. I was very fortunate to have many long time Scouters in my patrol and program...That is where I picked up many of the things I learned. My only real complaint was the repetative form we had to use in writing out tickets out. I think I could have had my tickets written in 20 minutes (after choosing what I wanted to do) if the forms hadn't asked the same questions several times.

"All hail the MIGHTY QUAIL!"

AH