Please help the unenlightened. As a future reward for helping some Cubs complete their knot work later this year, I had planned to "reward" them at the end by teaching each one to tie his own woggle (out of colored cord, not leather), which they could wear as a temporary slide.

I would appreciate my fellow critters advising me if a homemade rope woggle is strictly a WB totem, or if I'm in the clear.

US2BFX

Anyone can tie knots. Anyone can make a woggle. Woggles and knots (any knot) are not restricted to Wood Badge use only. How would you even begin to police that.

Heck, you don't even have to be a member of BSA to make yourself a knoted woggle (even out of leather).

A woggle is absolutely not constrained to use with Wood Badge.

The only thing from Wood Badge which should be used only by Wood Badge bead recipients is the Wood Badge regalia (Beads, Scarf, and the Woggle received as part of the Wood Badge)

You or anyone can make and wear woggles for whatever purpose you wish.

I'd love to watch those boys attempt tying their woggles! Have fun, ChuckSt8er!

Eagle Pete

Many people make and give away turks head knot neckerchief slides. Nothing wrong with that. So long as you don't make them out of leather thong such that someone would think them a Wood Badge Woggle, have at it.

Yep - the only "sacred" WB-only regalia I know of is the tan neckerchief with the tartan & woggle that are presented along with beads. I see boys from different units wearing woggles from time to time, and I know of one troop who used to give them out as internal recognition.

Similar question comes to mind, though... what guidelines have you ever seen for wearing the all-tartan necker given to WB21C course participants -prior- to receiving their beads?

I've seen them worn to district meetings and events from time to time, but never really saw or heard any guidance on when not to wear them when I took my course. Can it still be worn by someone who took the course but never received their beads?

As I am seriously knot impaired myself I did not tie knots for neckerchief slides but my webelos den had custom slides all the same we took 3/4 " PVC pipe cut into 2" sections and glued various items to same with hot glue gun the slides with cheap matchbox style cars for the pinewood derby were a big hit. we had colorful dinosaur ones and flag versions also it was a quick enough craft that even webelos were willing to do it. This really helps as the boys are constantly losing their regulation slide. Thank God we are in a no necker troop.

Thanks all - - I had a sense I was on secure ground, but wanted to make sure (ask first, never assume).

Once I went through WB last spring, I finally noticed the pattern imprinted on the Tiger/Cub neckerchief slides and said "Hmmm. I'll bet the guys would like making their own real woggles."

The Turk's Head is what the BSA standard neckerchief slide represents! Go for it!

Asides: If you make your own rope, use good cordage that will make really good rope for them.

Kernmantle lay rappeling rope is available in very small diameter (mainly a carry aid vice a working rope; it can be quite beautiful in the Turk's Head. Talk to REI.

John

I used to be an Owl

C-40-05

"what guidelines have you ever seen for wearing the all-tartan necker given to WB21C course participants -prior- to receiving their beads?

"I've seen them worn to district meetings and events from time to time, but never really saw or heard any guidance on when not to wear them when I took my course. Can it still be worn by someone who took the course but never received their beads? "

The practice is that the WB Participant should continue to wear the participant neckerchief (the all-tartan one you speak of) until they have completed their ticket and earned their beads. At that point, the participant neckerchief will be removed and replaced with the WB neckerchief, woggle and beads.

Around here you see people continue to wear the participant neckerchief until beading.

I traded for a leather type woggle many years ago from a british scout. It was a leather They used them in their troop

Wood Badge particpants may wear the particpants kneckerchief until they reiceve the mauve kneckerchief. They can, if they wish, also wear the particpant kneckerchief after they complete their ticket with their leather woggle and beads. I wear mine as a working kneckerchief if I am going to be doing something that I might not want to get my mauve dirty

If you are looking for paracord to use for woggles, here is a good site. Lots of different colors, orange, , gold, blue etc

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/parachute_cord.htm

Cubmaster Randy wrote:

"They can, if they wish, also wear the particpant kneckerchief after they complete their ticket with their leather woggle and beads."

HUH???

Would you please cite that from the Uniform Guide or the WB Administrative Guide? I've not heard that line before...

I may be a Uniform Licensee, but absent a hard citation, that sounds out beyond the pale.

"They can, if they wish, also wear the particpant kneckerchief after they complete their ticket with their leather woggle and beads. I wear mine as a working kneckerchief if I am going to be doing something that I might not want to get my mauve dirty."

I have to say 'huh?'

I don't know of anyone who, after earning their beads, would wear the participant neckerchief again unless they had to. When I staffed WB, all the staff wore the participant neckerchief during the course.

If I am doing something that I might get my WB neckerchief dirty, I would just not wear a neckerchief. Most people in my area only wear their WB neckerchiefs at formal occasions. The 'tradition' is that one would wear your unit neckerchief, and only wear your WB neckerchief as needed.

That is what I was told at my beading ceremony and what I have heard at several other beading cereomonies since then.

I'll have to check my staff guide to see if i can find reference, but i don't remember seeing it there.

However, from the Daily Gazette

The axe and log embroidered on your neckerchief is the symbol of Gilwell Park. The neckerchief symbolizes service to all

that see it worn: service to the unit, the district, and the council. Whenever Scouters gather, at camporees, summer camp, pack activitieslook aroundyou will see a Troop 1 neckerchief at work.

To a participant, the Troop 1 neckerchief is a reminder of joining together as a team, bridging to become a Scout, coming together

as a patrol and as a team; learning skills, working together, and growing in Scout spirit.

To a staff member, the Troop 1 neckerchief is a reminder that we are all members of the same unit and together with the participants

work to create an atmosphere of teamwork and fun.

At the end of the Wood Badge course, the plaid Troop 1 neckerchief may continue to be worn with pride at any time Wood Badge Scouters answer the call for service.

I agree that most, if not all people, will choose to wear the mauve to show that they have succesfully completed their ticket. I'm just saying it is an option per the last line "At the end of the Wood Badge course, the plaid Troop 1 neckerchief may continue to be worn with pride at any time Wood Badge Scouters answer the call for service"