"I don''''t believe BALOO is required for any of the Cub positions. "

Actually every Pack should have at least two BALOO trained leaders, since it is required to have one on any Pack campout. It is actually a good idea to plan on two for a campout in case one has o leave or doesn't make it.

My question however was do I need to finish an overnight Outdoor Leader course...(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)

One of our TGs who has the curriculum can answer for sure which is the appropriate training, but I remember that outdoor leader for your particular program level was an expected training before you showed up at WB.

That said, I''ve got a few days now of Army fieldcraft. My course director was more than willing to waive the BSA course in lieu of actual practice.

John

I used to be an Owl

C-40-05

Sorry Pack212Scouter, I didn''t mean to imply BALOO wasn''t required in general -- it''s just not a prerequisite for Cub leaders attending Woodbadge in the last two councils I''ve been involved with.

Since your WB course is still many months out, it would benefit you to go thru BALOO since there is an outdoor component to WB.(This message has been edited by eolesen)

Our Council''s Woodbadge course requires each participant to have completed the required training for his/her position. I''ve not done Woodbadge, but I''ve always found it a bit unfair that Boy Scout Leaders had to take more training than Cub Scout Leaders in order to go to Woodbadge (i.e., the Outdoor Leader training for Boy Scouts is required in addition to New Leader Essentials and Leader Specific which are the only requirements for Cub Leaders. From descriptions of the Woodbadge courses I''ve read here, I see no benefit from requiring Boy Scout Leaders to have more initial training than Cub Scout Leaders.

gwd-scouter

According to National, the following are the only qualifications I am aware of...

"Qualifications

Each Scouter invited to participate in Wood Badge training must have completed the basic training courses for their Scout position and completed the outdoor skills training programs appropriate for their Scouting position."

source: http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=wood+badge

I am not sure where you got the impression that Boy Scout leaders have any more pre-requisite requirements than any other scout leader.

Eagle Pete

Eagle-Pete. Thanks for the info on National''s requirements. In our Council, however, anyone attending must complete the required training for their particular Scouting position. So Cub Scout Leaders only have to take New Leader Essentials and New Leader Specific. No outdoor training class is required for their position - appropriate maybe, but not required. Same, for example, for Troop Committee members. SMs and ASMs must complete Essentials, Specific, and Outdoor Leader, but Committee members only have to do Essentials and Specific. That''s what I meant by SMs and ASMs having to do more required (prerequisite) training than others.

gwd-scouter

I understand, but the Wood Badge pre-requisite is for all scout leaders, including Cub Leaders, to complete Outdoor Leadership Skills. So it appears your council is, in fact, following the National Wood Badge requirements.

The reason for this is at Wood Badge you not only receive leadership skills as a Cub Scout leader, but for all families of Scouting. Therefore, National requires all scout leaders to complete Outdoor Leadership Skills regardless of their current scouting position prior to attending Wood Badge.

As a Cub Scout leader at Wood Badge you are getting advanced training, not just the basic training required to wear the Trained strip.

Hope this helps.

Eagle Pete

I guess I''m not stating this correctly. In our Council, Cub Leaders and Committee people (Pack and Troop) are not required to take supplemental outdoor leader training since it is not required as part of their position training - regardless of whether they decide to someday go to Woodbadge. Boy Scout Leaders (SM and ASMs) on the other hand MUST take outdoor leader training because it IS required as part of their position in Scouting - again, regardless of whether or not they go to Woodbadge.

So, at least in our Council, SMs and ASMs that go to Woodbadge are required to have OLS, whereas Cub Leaders and Committee Members are not.

Ok, I missunderstood then. My apologies.

If, infact, your local council is allowing any participants to attend Wood Badge without Outdoor Leadership Skills then your council is not following National on Wood Badge requirements.

You may want to point this out if you are in a position to do so.

Eagle Pete

I just looked it up in the staff guide. Here is the official training list

1Scoutings Basic Leader Training Courses

■ New Leader Essentials

All adult leaders

■ Leader specific training for

Den leaders

Cubmasters

Webelos leaders

Tiger Cub leaders

Pack committee members

Troop committee members

Scoutmasters and assistant Scoutmasters

Varsity Scout Coaches and assistant Coaches

Venturing leaders

■ Commissioner basic training for commissioners

■ District committee training for district committee members

■ Council committee training or executive board orientation for council volunteers

Previous versions of leader training courses are acceptable prerequisites.

2Scoutings Outdoor Skills Training

■ Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (required for Scoutmasters, assistant Scoutmasters,

and Varsity coaches and assistants)

(All participants are encouraged to complete the Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills training

before attending a Wood Badge course, but it is not required.)

Hope this helps

Grizzly

And, yes, SM/ASM and Varsity coaches DO require one more class than all other positions.

Personally, I think either OLS or BALOO should be required for all leaders going to WB. It was pretty clear that there were some people in my class who had never been on a campout prior to WB, and that''s not the time to be figuring out that Scouts, like bears, do have to poop in the woods sometime...

Ironically, Venturing leaders are not required to go thru OLS, while Varsity coaches are. Which one is more likely to be leading an activity in the wilderness?...