Commissioners College question

Does anyone here have experience either as a participant or instructor with this program? If so, I''d like to hear your thoughts. There is one coming up in my area and it has been suggested that people attend, even those who are not commissioners but who often end up working with units on things like cub round-up planning and execution, and webelos-scout transition matters (ie, people like me). How worth while is it, what sorts of topics might be included, who typically attends, what are the ballpark costs in your area, etc..

This is sort of a last-minute decision since the session is next weekend, and I don''t have a lot of time to make a choice. Nor do a lot of local people seem to know much about it. This is being sponsored by a nearby council and the instructional staff seems to include people from every council in the region except my own. Any input would be appreciated.

Really hard to answer that question.

There are many Commissioner College programs out there, many of them excellent. The better ones have a well developed program with the expectation that the participants come back for 3-4 years to take additional courses and earn specific degrees. Typically you would take specific course each year to earn a bachelor, masters, post grad (some may not have these), then doctoral degree. Some programs require extra work to earn the doctoral degree, like doing a research paper or project.

I would hope that this particular program has a course catalog that you could check out. Has no one in your council participated in this program? If the staff are from ''every council in our region by mine'', I would have to wonder why.

In my region, the Atlanta Area Council has for many years run a very well respected College of Commissioner Science program. Many people from my home council (in southern florida) attended it, and from this started their own, similiar program, expanding it to a University of Scouting Arts with a four year ''degree program'', etc. Nearby councils also run College of Commissioner Science programs with multi-year degrees, tho not to that extent.

As to costs, most of these program are your typical weekend training weekend costs, so are in the range of $20-40 bucks. (food and materials are you main costs)

Lisa,

I took my Roundtable Staff training through Commissioner''s College. I agree with emb021. I cannot address the quality of instruction in your neck of the woods. Maybe Beavah can, if you contact him offlist.

OTOH, I''d unconditionally recommend anyone around Kansas City to take the Heart of America Council''s college. I know several of the volunteers who run it; good, dedicated and well-trained people all.

My only problem with my home area College is it conflicts with a Scouting event I''m alreay committed to supporting :(

I think part of the question for both of us, Lisa, involves "will we stay in Scouting after our sons move along?" If your answer is yes, then Commissioner''s College is one path to continuing volunteer training in program and in program support of Scouting. For me, I answer that question yes. Long story short, the Adult Association Method of Scouting works for us grown-ups as well as the kids :)

Lisa,

Northeast Georgia Council offers Commisioner College in October. I can''t remember there being a fee, but I might have paid $10 or $15, just can''t remember, lunch provided, you get a patch and a rocker (Basic, bachelor, master and doctor) for your level of training. Good training. I''ll try to go again this year.

The college Lisa is talking about is the Michigan College of Commissioner Science. This is held jointly by council''s in Michigan such as Scenic Trails, Gerald R. Ford, Lake Huron Area, Southwest Michigan, Tall Pine, Blue Water, and Chief Okemos, and Great Sauk. The metro councils is Michigan, such as Detroit Area and Clinton Valley can participate if they want by sending participants or by staffing a degree program. Lake Huron Area, the council I represent is staffing two degree programs, Bachelor/Master of Roundtable and Master of Unit Commissioner Service. I am the Dean of MUC and my ACC for Training is the Dean of B/M of RT. These degrees are based on the syllbus for Commissioner College and are staffed by some of the best commissioner these councils have to offer.

David Harrison

There is a syllabus and suggested courses for Com. College. Individual Councils have, to some extent, the ability to add or change the course offering.

You should be able to get the listing of the specific courses being offered from your council service center.

There is usually some great information presented at Com. College. Much of it I liken to the Trivia and Minutia of Scouting....great stuff, if your into some of the how''s and whys of what the program is about.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - I went and it was a very good program, one of the better scout trainings that I''ve attended in fact. I learned a lot about what unit commissioners do (and what they aren''t really supposed to do). The staff did a nice job of presenting the material and of balancing out the needs of us newbie types vs. those who have a lifetime of experience but just hadn''t been to this particular training before. And it was really good to meet some folks from other councils in my area too.

Sorry for the double post - I meant to ask this in my last post and forgot. Does completing a basic degree at "commissioners college" count as being "trained" as a unit commissioner? I''ve been trying to find the exact requirements online and I''m not sure whether that constitutes basic training for new commissioners or not.

Lisa,

It would depend on the Council Commissioner. In my council, I count any Bachelor degree as the Basic Training for that position (ie:Unit Commissioner if BUC was taken, RT Commissioner if B/M of RT was taken).

I think your Council Commissioner, Dick would count these too. As far as I know, all the councils that participate in the college count them. I would also count Basic Training and let a commissioner take the Master''s Degree at the college.

David Harrison

"Does completing a basic degree at "commissioners college" count as being "trained" as a unit commissioner?"

No.

Basic training for commissioners has been established by National. Attending commissioners college is looked upon as supplemental training.

Thanks David and emb for your replies. Looks like I need to ask this one locally. I''m ok w/ more training (if that''s the answer) but the thing is, I''ve never seen unit commish training on our district or council training agenda. Maybe I just over-looked it though.

Lisa,

If you are becoming a UC, ask the ADC running your team, or ask your DC directly. They have obligations to ensure you get trained.

FWIW, on the National website, under the Commish (lower right corner), I think the progress card for your knot is dowloadable there.

If you are becoming a UC, I know you''ll do it right :) I''d love to hear your lessons learned; I''m decisively engaged with getting EagleSon out to college right now, next year it will be a good way to give to the community and fill the gap in my time!

Does anyone know if Commissioner training is only available through council sponsored colleges of Commissioner Science or are they available similar to to leader specific training courses offered by various councils?

In our council, we have a University of Scouting which offers a College of Boy Scouting, Cub Scouting, Venturing, and Commissioner Science. The Boy Scouting, Cub Scouting, and Venturing programs are supplemental training and attendees are supposed to have completed training required for their registered position in order to attend a U of S.

Is the College of Commissioner Science supplemental training, or primary functional training?

As I understand it, there are several levels of Commissioner service at the council level:

Council and District Commissioners and their Assistants

Unit Commissioners

Roundtable Commissioners

and Roundtable Staff

Is there a specific training course for each of these?

Is there a training course for Roundtable staff and is it different or the same as for unit commissioners?

Thanks.