Troop Payment Contribution

Do any of your troops help pay for any or all of the cost of Woodbadge? Or is the person expected to pay? Typically the various Scoutmaster training has been paid for by the person attending but their cost is somewhat minimal $25. Woodbadge in our area is $200.

If your troop does pay or subsidize a portion of it do you put any guidelines on the number of persons that can attend or is their some type of request like a campership. I realize it depends on the funds that are available and we are discussing how we will fund. Just looking for some guidelines for dispersing funds.

Thanks for the help.

Go Brewers

What our troop does is decides as a committee here is how...

how many people are going, to what training and how much does it cost. how much do we have in our bank account, and what is coming up... Oh also did that leader say attend summer camp or another training that the troop paid for...

now depending on the answers to all of that determines if:

- we pay 100%

- pay 50%

- etc

usually we try to pay at least 50% and sometimes 100% of training - at least we try to. Usually the leaders pay for the normal day long training themselves as its like $25.

I hope this helps ... just my wacky 2 cents

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

We have a small troop and our CO contributes nothing. Every cent (plus a lot of MY money) goes to the boys. If your unit contributes training scholarships, that''s wonderful. I would make it a line item in your Unit Budget Plan and factor that in as an expense. Just means you need to sell more popcorn!

I don''t mind the nickel an dime training costs, they are kind of expected.

And I don''t know of a requirement to attend WB but if the leader wants to go and asks for a partial payment of the cost of any course, I would think the troop should seriously consider paying a portion if not for the whole thing - if they think it is worthwhile. Especially if they will get a better or revitalized leader out of it.

This year I''ve already paid out(or in the interests of full disclosure, had a portion off-set by my employer) >350 dollars in training costs, had numerous free training opportunities from the council(YEA!) with two upcoming courses that will add another $42.50 to my total. Only ONE of which is good for more than two years. Still waiting for Council to offer IOLS.

When I''m going to go to WB I will probably ask the CC if the troop wants to help defray at least 1/2 of that particular cost. I may ask for help with the ARC WFR cert also +/- $150, but will try to schedule it so that it does the most coverage of HA outings before it needs to be re-certified. Our ARC gives NO break on the cost of any training.

Of course, I''ll also sell some popcorn....(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

There are also Wood Badge Scholarships.

In several councils I am part of, we have them. The money for the scholarships comes from annual WB reunion breakfasts, and the sales of WB memorabilia. Helps cover the cost.

Also, some outside groups might have them as well. Believe AFL-CIO does.

$200 for a week of training is very reasonable. Keep in mind this covers a week worth of meals, training materials (handouts, etc) and other items. Staff also kick in.

The Cub Pack I was in paid all training costs expect for Wood Badge, it was deemed too expensive.

The first Troop I was with didnt believe in sending its leaders to training and discouraged adults from taking training. All my training costs came out of my pocket.

I never figured out the second troop I was involved with. They had $8,000 in their bank account and everyone had to pay for their own training.

I would love to have the Ship be able to pay of leader training but we just dont have the funds. So far Ship Leaders havent had to pay extra for training. All the basics, NLE, YPT dont cost anything and they offered Venturing Leader Specific and Sea Scout Leader Specialized Training at the Winter Training Weekend.

If I want to attend Sea Badge Ill have to fund it myself.

''Round here it depends on the size of the program.

Bigger units tend to have more fundraisin'' clout and longer histories, and tend to pay for all or part of trainin''. Pretty often they offer to pay, and the adult agrees to fund it him/herself or gives the troop a donation in excess of the cost.

Of course, havin'' better trained leaders and a culture that encourages ongoin'' learning might be the reason they''re bigger units... ;)

Beavah

Our troop would pay 1/2 or more for training. Payment was made in the form of credits towards outings fees. Leaders paid out of pocket and submitted receipts. The troop credited his/her scout account, which could be used for payments for weekend campouts or summer camp.

Our troop has a reasonable amount in our operating budget from dues and fundraising. We budget each year for some training costs. The troop pays in full for leader and youth training when it costs in the $15 to $50 range. For Woodbadge and NYLT that costs $200 or so, the participant pays the fee up front, and then when the training is successfully completed, the troop reimburses half the total fee. It helps get people trained.

I am new to my troop, joined in February. They pay for all adult training. I asked specifically regarding WB. A couple of the committe members shrugged shoulders and answered, Yes the troop pays full cost. A month later I found out that we have several members of the committee/ASM that are running WB this session.

At the mandatory new parent orientation that lasted 4 troop meetings, it was taught that a troop of our size (35-50) boys should have at least 3 WB trained leaders. With leaders retiring yearly, then new leaders are encouraged to attend to keep the ratio. I know we have at least 4 WB''ers and 1 will be attending this month.

Adults do not pay the normal troop camping fee for weekend campouts. The troop funds the meals for the adult patrol. Last weekend the troop traveled 300 miles round trip for a campout. Monday there was a check in the mailbox from the troop treasuer for $25 to defray fuel expenses.

This summer the troop took 32 boys and 5 adults to summer camp. Adult costs were covered by a combination of higher fees to the boys and troop funds.

Adult scouting is not free in my troop, but comes pretty close.

Our troop reimburses for fees paid upon completion. We do not reimburse for transportation and additional food costs. So far we have not found it necessary to restrict these reimbursements. It would be nice to have so many adults go to training that we had that problem.