What Leatherman Should I Get

I am looking at getting a Leatherman tool soon and visited their website. I took their online tool finder tutorial and it recommended either the Super Tool 200 or the Juice XE6. Both of these look like good choices to me, however I am leaning toward the Juice XE6 because of its smaller size. I am somewhat concerned that it appears to have no locks on the blades and/or tools. Does anyone have any experience with this model? I would also like to get some input on the locks of the ST200 be it good or bad. Thanks!

I have the supertool also. The locks work well, but on my model (may not be the 2000), you have to pull up another blade to "unlock" the one you have out.

Have you looked at the Gerber Multi-Plier at all. I have one of those too, and you don't have to "butterfly" it to get the pliers out, and the locks on the Gerber are sliding things that involve less drama than the leatherman, in my opinion. And frankly, I'm no swordsmith, but I think the quality and workmanship of the Gerber is a little better than the Leatherman.

KS

IMHO, a Leatherman is a GREAT tool, but a poor knife. The Gerber isn't quite a good of a tool, but has a better blade. I've been sharpening knives since I was a kid, and can make them shave, but I've never been able to get a Leatherman sharp. I can sharpen my Gerber blade.

To be honest, I don't carry either one camping. I use one for work. I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

I use a supertool and like its versatitlity and uses. I agree the knifes are hard to sharpen, haven't figured out how to hold my mouth right i guess. Have seen the Gerber and not had a chance to use one much . The owners liked them and seemed to like to show off the plier function.

Thanks for the great input. It looks like I'm going to be doing a little more research before I decide. I'm going to a couple of stores today to see if I can get my hands on some of these tools. I have only owned Schrade knives in the past so looking at the products from the different companies should be interesting.

I saw a Leatherman Wave yesterday that also looked interesting. The only Gerber I have found so far didn't have the features I was looking for. I'll let you folks know what I discover.

I got ahold of a Leatherman Wave this weekend. It felt good and I liked the one-hand opening function of the common cutting blades. I'm still a little concerned about the blade material being hard to sharpen, but I'm probably going to go with this one.

Thanks for the input!

Both are very good tools. I chose the Gerber because I could use it with one hand better than the Leatherman. If I'm caught on a rope or something the like...hopefully only with my left hand...but I could reach around and pull the tool out of the pouch with either hand. I could get the tool open with one hand if I had too.

Hello all,

After looking at lots of tools I settled on the Swiss Army tool by Victorinox. It's stainless steel and has a very smooth feel. The edges are rounded so when you're using the pliers the tool doesn't bite into your hand.

(a city slicker like me appreciates that!)

You can open all the accessories without folding open the tool itself, and all of the accessories lock.

The main knife blade isn't too bad. It's a typical Swiss Army knife blade. All of the other tools are machined rather than stamped so the edges are really good, expecially the screwdrivers.

Besides the pliers which I use all the time, surprisingly the second most used accessory is the saw blade. It's really sharp, machined like I said, about like a good keyhole saw or tree brach saw. I use it for just that, trimming small stock on campouts.

The only con I have is that the nylon carrying case has a belt loop that is single-stitched. After less than a year of use the belt loop pulled out and I had to sew it back to the case, and I used an X-pattern for strength.

Here's a summary:

Pros:

1. Good quality steel: Victorinox

2. Comfortable to use.

3. Locking tools.

4. Great saw. (never thought I'd praise a saw!)

Cons:

1. Poor carrying case design.

It's called the "Swiss Army SwissTool" and available on Amazon for about $60. That's the cheapest I've see it in the store, too. Usually they go for $65-70.

You might say "Whoa, that's expensive." But I challenge you to hold one in your hand, first. Love conquers all!

YIS,

Bill Farrell

Sugar Land, Texas

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I would say to go with the PST or PstII, I am a Ranger and carry a Pst. I use it most of the day, The one I carry on my Belt was a gift from my brother inlaw about 7 or 8 Years ago. I brought a new Pst for my off duty time. You have to remenber that pocket types will wear a hole in your pocket. And large belt types get very heavy at times and get hung up on brush and trees.

But i must also say that my Dad carried a swiss for 40 years. It's your call.