Hello all!

I am a new Troop Guide this year for Woodbadge. We just had our first Staff Development weekend! It was a lot of fun!

It seems like a lot of our staffers are a bit mischievous and there was a lot of whispering and giggling going on about "enhancing the course experience for the staffers" IE: "what harmless pranks can we pull on eachother?"

Anyone care to share there past pranking episodes???

Not sure if this is a prank or part of the curriculum...

Each day, starting with the first evening, the Staff Patrol Flag went through SM/SPL inspection, with limericks to boot. That means there were 3 inspections before it was accepted.

Now was that to set the standard for us, or for them to have some fun with a part of the program? I dunno.

Our SPL had his favorite coffee mug with him at all times. One of the tan, military issue mugs. It had his totem, some engraving, etc. a real nice mug. Well, someone had seen it laying out one day and "threw it in a campfire." All that was left was a melted chip of blackened tan mug and burnt leather that once held the totem. He was heartbroken, he almost cried. But later, the original mug turned up, the one in the fire was an imposter.

Gonzo1, Not accusing you on this but the prank you described hit a sympathetic nerve in me. I guess I might be a softie but I would have felt guilty if I pulled one like that. Perhaps I misread your description of that prank but taking someone to the edge of sorrow and despair or beyond, even if it's not real, isn't good fun. The topic of pranks has been discussed in earlier threads and it is difficult to identify ones that are positive.

Last year, my husband was a Troop Guide while I was on course. One morning he overslept, so the next day, all the troop guides put their alarm clocks around the edge of his tent, timed to go off simultaneously!

Packsaddle,

I agree. I didn't commit the "prank", it was another patrol, but a "prank" I had seen.

The SPL had searched long and hard, he re-traced his steps, looked everywhere.

I'm a jokester, but I wouldn't actually go that far.

Besides, you know me, I mean, you actually know me. I'm a funny guy, but I'm not cruel. I only knew one of my staffers before I had attended WB, so I would not be inclined to pull pranks on someone I don't know. And before you ask, I won't pull any pranks on you.

Gonzo

When I was a Troop Guide in 2002, all the TG's borrowed a staffer's stuffed Eagle and took pictures of it eating the spamon the patrols had caught and also pictures of him relieving himself on the CD's pillow. Funny that he pooped out Buffalo droppings instead of Eagle droppings. The next day we had a court hearing for him, but even with the pictures as evidence, he was acquitted.

Dancin

When I was a TG one of the experienced staffers showed up at Staff Dev. with plastic pistols that shot foam rubber darts. We all spent a great deal of time shooting the CD and SPL at every opportunity. When we got to breakfast the 2nd day all of our darts were on the table, frozen in a bowl of ice.

Yeah Gonzo, I know you wouldn't do that...I hesitated to respond because I didn't want you to think that I thought you would. How's that for a run-on confusing sentence? Anyway, I know better. What are you guys doing later this summer? PM me.

The frozen darts...I like that. A sense of humor is always good.

They have to be pranks with a sense of humor! Nothing malicious at all...

For Example... our Course Director is an Eagle and has lots of Eagle "totems" sitting at the table. Our prank is to "kidnap" the eagle and take pictures of it in different locations..(In the mess hall,Hidden in the Bear cookie Jar, sitting on a log with an "owl", sitting on a bench in the showers)

Of course the pictures will show up the next morning in the Gilwell Gazette...

Harmless and kind of fun...

not a staff prank but:

My Patrol was the weather patrol during the break. I got this darn near 3/4" 3'-6" diam piece of plywood and made a smiley sun out of it. the next weeeknd the new weather patrols had to carry this mildly heavy big yellow smiley sun around with them where ever they went, Also we decorated the weather patrol rainbrella with many things hanging from it.

At one of the morning formations our Scoutmaster (who looked like Santa) asked for a patrol leaders report, I replied "Ready and willing Santa!" with a snappy salute. mildly funny

Our Council sells uniforms to WB Staff members at cost.

As a rule I use this (Or used to use!!) this opportunity to stock up on uniforms.

A few years back I was staffing a Boy Scout course, I put on a brand new pair of shorts. They fit fine, but half the belt loops were missing!

Needless to say my good pal the Scoutmaster wasn't going to allow this to go un-noticed. That morning on Gilwell Field we had a Belt loop inspection.

As the day went on they (The Staff) came up with the idea that Knighting me would be fun. I became the Earl of Belt loops.

At that same course I played the part of Timmy Tenderfoot.

I like to think I'm not only good looking but along with that I'm in proportion. Some unkind people have said I'm skinny; me only having a 32 inch waist.

For my role as Timmy I wore the uniform of the biggest most gigantic staffer. My size 8 feet could both have fit in his size 17 boots.

For a backpack I found a tent bag that was used for a over-sized tent. We filled it with the biggest pots and pans from the camp kitchen, along with just about anything else that wasn't nailed down. -Including a gallon jug of washing up liquid. For my bugle I had a length of rubber hose. Someone added a dozen eggs to the "Backpack".

The deal was that no matter what I wasn't allowed to say a word -Just make faces and act super dumb?? (No comments are needed!!)

Of course the eggs broke in the pack and the gallon of detergent leaked out all over everything, I had to almost dive in this bag to fish the stuff out. With each dive I became soaked in this evil mixture.

When the "Scoutmaster" asked if I'd brought my musical instrument, I pulled out my length of hose. I had been trying all day to get a note out of it with no joy. But I'm unsure if it was the eggs or the soap? (I remember that it didn't taste very good!!)

Anyway I gave this pipe one almighty big puff, which resulted in a super-sized bubble, which was followed by a very loud noise;I informed it sounded like an elephant in heat.

Of course you had to have been there.

People were laughing so hard that they fell off the benches they were sitting on.

The other staffers couldn't get over that I'd managed to go so long without talking!!

Ea.

AKA The Earl of Belt Loops

At the course I was a TG on last summer, we had a running "duck" gag with the SPL on the 2nd weekend. It started with one of the staffer's having a duck call, which he would blow and then yell "DUCK!!" and we all would duck! The SPL would then look to see what we were ducking from and not see anything. By the 2nd or 3rd time, he started ducking too...just in case. Even the participants started ducking when we'd yell "DUCK!!" At this point then, one of the staffers brought a bunch of rubber ducks and small stuffed ducks and we'd throw them at the SPL. Then on the last morning, we took all the ducks and lined them up into a patrol, complete with a patrol flag, for morning inspection. It was too cute!

Now..when I went through my own course, they did fingernail inspections where all the staffers...male and female alike showed up with painted fingernails. They also checked for bloodshot eyes too!

sue M.

• 2 weeks later...