Are Eagles necessarily good adult leaders?

Resqman,

I'm not so sure all of it has to go on the pile. I wasn't an Eagle. Even so, the Scout Oath, Law, Motto and Slogan, not to mention the Admonition and Obligation of the Order (for that matter, the Brotherhood Oath)... they all are part of who I became and how I've carried myself since.

Beavah,

Yes, I can be pedantic. That's why I pride myself now on being a "Uniform Licensee." BSA isn't Mother Army :) That said, learning what is discretionary and what is mandated is not the easiest thing inside the Boy Scouts of America!! You've shared, time and again, the quality of some of BSAs authors, and the inability to consistently parse words and phrases.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

My answer is no they are not necessarily good leaders but they can be trained. I notice the same things today as I did as a youth back in the 80's. Some Eagles fall under the "eagle is a mission" point of view. The acheivement of Boy Scoutings highest rank is an end for these folks. There are oters and many of these people, my self included, that believe that Scouting is as much a way of life more than the acheivement of the highest rank. I have been around plenty of adult scouters that attained Eagle when they were in scouts and many were fairly good leaders. Although there are those who state that the program has changed over the years, there is much that has not changed. The program is once again placing more focus on basic scout skills. As John-in-KC points out the Scout Law, Oath, Motto, and slogan as well as the admonition have not changed. One possible way to know which type a prospective leader will be is ask them the simple question; what did you do for scouting after you attained Eagle. Eagle Scouts that were dedicated to the program and felt compelled to pass on their knowledge after attaining Eagle will likely be jewels of leaders.

I am an Eagle Scout that has been through a lot of training and is about to go through Woodbadge in about 4 months, but I do have to agree with the situation. There are Eagle Scouts that are out there that feel that they are more superior to others because they are Eagle Scouts. To me getting my Eagle Scout was an accomplishment. It shows that I have dedication and that I have proven my self as a leader when I was a boy, but now that I am an adult it is a way to get the boys to continue on The road to get their Eagle Scout. It doesn't mean that I know more about how to be an adult leader, because being an adult leader and being a youth leader are two totally different things. Getting training is one of the most important parts of being and adult leader, because if you don't you will never know what your actually role is suppose to be in the unit.

But this just doesn't go for Eagle Scouts that are coming back to be adult leaders. It also effects some parents that think they know it all about Scouting and they refuse to get any training. I am not say that it effects most parents, because most parents want to know what they have gotten themselves into and how to do this effectively. They think that they know what is best for the unit that they are in and that anyone that has been around and through training doesn't know what is right.

• 2 weeks later...

I have meet many people that were notan Eagle Scout in charge of running a troop that have no business leading boys because they are only thinking of what awards they can earn that they never had the chance to earn as a boy. Just because your an Eagle scout does not you the excuse that you don't need to be trained. I have also meet Eagle scouts that are doing the job better because they are an Eagle scout. Sometimes I wonder if leaders automatically bash a leader because they were an Eagle scout. Or I hear "you should know that because your an Eagle scout." Scouting changes daily and if you are not constantly taking a training course, Eagle or not, you will fall behind.

Beavah, now just because someone is prior military doesn't mean that they don't have more than one golf club in the bag in terms of leadership styles... there's a lot more out there than just Good Cop/Bad Cop. Although in that framework I much prefer Good Cop.

And beaver729 is spot on about training, I have considered it my primary responsibility to get all of the training I can get to accomplished. How can a new leader do their job if they don't know what the job is? How can a continuing leader do the right things for the troop if they don't know about program changes?

Seems like, really I just quit reading (as much)about the Corps and am now reading about BSA.

• 3 weeks later...

Short answer to the initial question? YES hehe.

Actually, taken alone, I don't think simply being an Eagle Scout is enough to ensure you will be a good leader.

I do think that having been a scout as a youth and especially being an Eagle Scout provides one with a frame of reference and understanding of the underlying goals of the program not easily gained elsewhere. That said, any leader still needs to go through all the necessary training and follow the policies and procedures of the BSA and his/her council and chartering organization.

I am an Eagle Scout ('81) and an Arrow of Light recipient. I have found my scouting experiences as a youth invaluable in my scouting experiences as an adult. I have taken all my training and then some. Sure some of it has been redundant (i.e. does an Eagle Scout really need to go to BALOO?) but I imagine it, at a minimum, levels the playing field for all leaders.

I was a bit suprised and disappointed to hear how many "negative" experience folks have had with leaders who are Eagle Scouts.

"(i.e. does an Eagle Scout really need to go to BALOO?)"

Short answer - YES

Boy Scout camping is VERY different from Cub Scout camping.

Camping as a youth participant is VERY different from being the adult responsible for putting together everything involved in a Pack Family Overnighter.

Just to clarify, I have been to Baloo Training. I have attending every training needed for me to assume my leadership role(s) in the program and never used my previous scouting experiences as a way to try to "opt out" of any class. That isnt to say I found all the courses I have attended valuable. Baloo was one of them but that was my personal experience. (I found it to be way too basic)

If you want to make training more fun and have the experience to have some input call your district training chair and volunteer to be a trainer. You can "double dip" get credit for teaching a class and also being a participant. I never attended baloo started as a WDL so I went to Webelos leader outdoor instead. I have served as an instructor for Baloo with the main part I did being stoves, lanterns, tents and sleeping bags. Plus helping out with lunch and other stuff. Most districts need extra training staff.

As far as the original topic of this thread Eagles can make good leaders if they have gotten to the point where they do not have to lead from the front any more. Most of the best troop leaders hang back and observe let the boys even run a little wild and only direct to keep them safe. A youth leader leads from the front by example with the rest of the troop following him.