Well sort of. Just got tapped to serve as SPL in 08 and want to get started on the most challenging and daunting of tasks anyone on staff can face...playing the kudo. Anyone know of any sweet deals out there?

There are actually a number on eBay at the moment. You might also search for "shofar", as the kudu horn is used for this purpose as well.

Remember- one of the recent changes to the program is that only one person may use the kudu- I suspect this is a health and hygiene issue.

Ed

I should have clarified...I'm not looking for a used Kudo and would have edited the topic title if I could figure out how. My understanding is a shofar is drilled on the end/tip of the horn whereas a proper Kudo has the mouthpiece drilled along the length a few inches up from the tip.

BTW...the rule regarding not sharing Kudos came from National and was communicated at last year's Area Conferences.

In answer to your question of where it is printed: Administrative Guide, 2005 printing, page 19.

One Designated Kudu Horn Blower

In an effort to minimize the possible transmission of respiratory invections, only one person may blow the kudu horn at a Wood Badge course.

Also, in answer to the question about Venturing Tabs for Troop Guides the Staff Guide (The Syllabus) on page 296 and 297 states that the person who will play the Venturing Advisor should be wearing Venturing tabs and after the TG's recite the Venturing Code, the advisor should present them with their Venturing tabs.

Hope this helps.

Dancin Fox

David Harrison

FWIW-

Lastest version of the Wood Badge Administrative Guide is #18-591C (2006).

Good luck trying to get a copy. Have been tried to get a copy of the latest version to 'keep up' with the changes with little luck.

"The A version is what we used in April-May of 2006.

If you can find it, you can copy it as it is a bin item. Our CC is on staff this fall- I will ask him what version he is using."

I'd prefer getting printed copies vs photocopies. But National seems to only send a limited number of Admin & Staff guides to CD, and you can't seem to be able to order more, so most of the staff gets only photocopies from those sent.

When I was at my council's WB breakfast earlier this year, which was also the same weekend as this year's staff development, I checked some of the staff course binders to check the bin numbers to see if there were new version out. Thus I know they were using the C revision of the Admin guide.

>Thus I know they were using the C revision of the Admin guide.

I'm not surprised it has been updated, but I don't understand why they would not update the online version. Frankly, I like having the PDF on hand as it is searchable. When I was scribe last year, I could find material in the guides and readily print up whatever was needed.

Ed

• 3 months later...

Bumping this up. Still looking for a source for pre-drilled kudu horns. Spiritsigns appears to have gone offline and the quartermaster store only sells blank horns. The shofars I have seen are drilled on the tip and not along the length.