Best thing is to talk to your Unit Commissioner. YP is offered live in multiple locations, at multiple times, throughout most Councils in the US. If not done using the online forum (which truth be told I recommend as annual follow-up, not start-up training), then as I understand the rules it needs to be done by a certified YP trainer.

Then again, our District YP trainer has made a minor career out of YP training!

Fishnbass2,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll need to check with your own district/council people. YPT is specific to the state/municipality you live in. There is information that is local in nature with the training and so you need to always work through your own council when taking YPT online. For example, if I took YPT online through the Chief Seattle Council's Website that would not count for me because I live in Phoenix, AZ and need to go through the Grand Canyon Council's web site.

SWScouter

"if I took YPT online through the Chief Seattle Council's Website that would not count for me because I live in Phoenix, AZ and need to go through the Grand Canyon Council's web site."

http://olc.scouting.org/

That is now correct only for Venturing YPT, as it has not yet been updated to the Online Learning Center yet. With the OLC, you no longer have to go through the council web site to get properly registered. You now create an account using your membership number. As you complete a course, you can print a training certificate and your record is maintained online.

What is council specific is the interval for YPT certification. Stonewall Jackson requires certification every two years, unless the chartering organization has a requirement for a shorter interval.

Ed

I just checked: Venturing YPT is now on the OLC!

Sort of- it looks like they haven't fully integrated VYPT into the OLC yet. You can manually select your council, but not all councils are on the list.(This message has been edited by epalmer84)

fishnbass2,

Welcome to the Forum. I do not know where you are from, but I would assume the local public library would have an internet connection that could be used to take the training. However, I would agree with John-in-KC that the first time it is best to take it "live", if for no other reason than the extra discussion that takes place. The BSA tries to use real life examples as part of the training, but nothing beats a group of people comming up with their own examples.

SWScouter, you said,

"There is information that is local in nature with the training and so you need to always work through your own council when taking YPT online."

Where did you get this information? I know of nothing that is region specific about YPT. Now that the BSA has the "online learning center" you don't even need a specific link from your local council website. Part of the registration process for an account at olc.scouting.org includes information about your council strictly for notification reasons. There was a time in the past that a link from your local council was necessary, but that was not for "region specific" training, but rather to help with the paper reporting process that was used to update the local council that the training was completed.

If there were region specific aspect for YPT, would I not have to take the local version of it before attending Philmont, Sea Base, or for that fact, any activity outside of my local area?

Well, it appears you can just go through the OLC now, however, for YPT there is council specific information. In order to complete the YPT online, you are required to download this council specific information. This includes things like local contact numbers and abuse reporting laws.

SWScouter

Every state has its own laws regarding reporting child abuse. As part of the OLC Youth Protection Training, in the section on recognizing & reporting abuse, you will be required to download a copy of child abuse reporting requirements from your council (drop down list of councils). This will include contact info for your council & your state Dept of Children & Family Services. It will also include an overview of any reporting laws in your state.