Where to train for archery and BB gun instructer

For one of my WB ticket items, I must train and be qualified to do the Archery and BB gun range at day camp. I have asked the Camp Director, who is district training person where, who, and when to get this done, but they are slow at responding. I know this is still early, but is this a class room only, or is there field parts also that would need warmer weather.

In my council I went to the Boy Scout summer camp Shooting Sports Director for my training. I met with him at camp, as camp was started before I needed my card. He went over the training and we talked about the needs of Cubs and all the safety rules and how to handle each range. I needed separate cards for BB and Archery.

there are some field activities the course I attended was an all day Saturday affair at the BS camp with the Shooting sports director in charge of Cub Scout activities. If your council has an active shooting sports program there will be several Shooting sports directors as one is required on property to open the ranges a properly qualified range master may then run the range but the director must remain on property. That is why there will be more than one no one wants to give up every weekend. One will likely be assigned to the cub scout program he will oversee all day camps and family camps normally he will do the training and the adults will get a Cub Scout day camp shooting sports director card and the scouts will get a Junior range master card. Ideally you will have enough scouts to actually run the ranges and you will run around making sure everything goes smooth and scold the little tykes when they don't follow instructions. They must carry their arrows in a certain way etc. Remember cub scouts shooting sports includes wrist rockets as well.

Brian and Fellow Scouters,

Greetings! To answer Brian's question, I would state the Range Officer certification would require a field part, in addition to class room setting.

Some Boy Scouts programs have risk. The shooting range (shotgun, rifle and air rifle), archery range, and waterfront, all have some risk.

Believe it or not. There are accidental shootings and drowning nearly each year. Again, believe it or not, thankfully outside of Boy Scout camps, but on rare occasion youth and adults have been killed or permanently disable with one shot from a BB gun, striking the spine. With proper training the accident rate is extremely low, making Boy Scout Summer camp and Cub Day camps one of the safest summer programs available. So, most all Aquatics Directors and Shooting Sports Directors take their job seriously.

I last served as SSD in 99; and I have not reviewed my Shooting Sports Directors manuals in a few years, but a Shooting Sports Director is allow to certify Range Officers (SSD carried a five year certification, I believe Range Officer was a two year certification). If a Range Officer comes to the camp with existing credentials (from the NRA and NAA, or U.S. Armed Forces for Rifle), the SSD may re-certify a range officer within their local council based on the pre-existing and current credentials. A popular quote that President Reagan even used, which most directors may use also would be "Trust, but verify".

Archery is usually the stopping point. While there may be just one NAA Archery coaches at the local high schools and colleges, it is rare that they are also Cub Scout or Boy Scout parents. So completing a Range Officer course is usually needed for everyone desiring to operate an air rifle and archery range at Cub Day Camp.

As simple as it seems, the safest shooting position for an air rifle in the prone position. A Range Officer or staff can easily stop a boy that is swinging his misfiring BB rifle to the left or right. But the shooting stance for archery (depending of left/right hand dominancy) is standing and straddling a line (or rope) on the ground. After finishing, it is easy for an eager Cub Scout to run to their target to see how well the have done, while his fellow Cub Scouts are still volleying (or firing).

Also, while safety is the first thing taught in Archery Merit Badge class or Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badge Class. It can be difficult for an 11 y/o on his first summer camp.

Safety is tremendously a difficult subject for Cub Scout age to comprehend. Young Cub Scouts between 6-10 years old need simple rules, fast and quick with simple consequences. (If you violate any safety rules, you are off of the range.) While the Range Officer and staff, understand the safety rules and procedures in depth.

For a Shooting Sports Director to conduct a range officers course, range experience is desired, but those that attend have usually been the participant and not in charge of over all safety. Except for the Volumes of literature for the SSD; I have not seen any shorter curriculum or timeline for a Range Officer certification. Part of the "Trust, but verify" would have the SSD taking the newest Range Officers to the field for practical demonstration. The practical is not necessarily to teach a Range Officer how to breath, aim, squeeze, release. It would be too late to learn how to accurately strike a target. The purpose of a practical Range Officer course would be to re-enforce safety procedures, calls and whistles, over and over again.

All that to say. Expect a full day class for Range Officer certification. Maybe a half day of academics in a classroom setting. But definitely expect a half day of practical training at a rifle and archery range.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv