In the other thread, Eamonn said:

"Sadly from the look of it Pine Tree Council is more than twice the size of our Council."

Area-wise, we might be (covering the western 1/3rd of Maine), but population-wise, we're really small. We have five districts and maybe a total of 400 units (Cubs through Venturers/Explorers).

And Lisabob said:

"Still, it is a bit of an "in-group" thing. It would help if we had more active UCs to get the word out to pack leaders, who often don't even know it exists until their third or fourth year in cubbing. All of our neighboring councils have also made the switch. The only unfortunate thing is that they all offer their UoS on the same day every year!"

Our council advertises it in the council newsletter sent to all adult leaders quarterly (and this time of year to all the parents of the youth too). In addition it's on their website and we do get the word out the best we can at roundtables/emails/district websites.

I agree, it seems that many councils have a habit of holding the event on the same date. I know many here who would love to go to a neighboring council's event, but cloning is out of the question. :)

OK -I kinda guesstimated!!

We have about 10,000 Youth members, of while a little more than half are in LFL.

While I can't back this up! -I do feel that a lot of events like units have peaks and valleys.

For a while it just seems that the chemistry is right and a group of people who share the same interests and goals come together. Then for some unknown reason it falls apart. Maybe not all at once, but over time.

About ten years back in the District we had a group of people who just somehow managed to mesh and get things done. Of about 20 only two or three remain. We still talk and see each other, but what ever was once there just isn't.

Events like a University of Scouting depend on a team of people, sadly over time teams tend to not stay together. Even with new members coming in, with great intentions, things just never remain the same.

Just look at the season the Pittsburgh Steelers had this year!!

Eamonn.

Eamonn, Since moxie and I are neighbors sorta, this is definately Patriots country. But if you want to see a big council with sparse units check out the Katahdin Area Council. ( covering 2/3 of the State o'Maine and 1/3 of the population!) It's where I grew up and sad to see so few units left. A prospective scout may have to drive an hour to a Scout meeting in some locations. And UofS could be a three hour or more drive for some!

I'm not a big sports fan (of any sport).

I hear you about the ups and downs. Fortunately, we're in an up at the moment with our University (and the Council has finally updated their website).

http://www.pinetreebsa.org/university/index.html

And much to my annoyance, our neighbors to the west are hosting theirs the same day:

http://www.dwcbsa.org/training/univsctflier.pdf

Why not the week before or after so some of our folks (and theirs) could then go to both? I think both councils are missing some opportunities here.

• 2 weeks later...

Two hours from Hudson, huh? So, are you currently in Great Northern or Wannalancit District? I spent my undergraduate days at "Party" State in Plymouth (Wannalancit District) and helped out Troop 56 while I was there (1988-92).

Looking to our neighbors to the south I'm in shock! They aren't hosting theirs the same weekend!

The three councils in Central Mass, Pioneer Valley, Mohegan and Knox Trail, will be hold their University of Scouting/Commissioner College on March 10:

http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/view_homepage.asp?orgkey=1339

(scroll down)

or

http://www.nashuavalleybsa.org/wordpress/?p=56