Not prepared for M.B. sessions

jbroganjr -

nope - don't need that vest....

When I "finished up" with the boy in our troop, he had actually started at MB opportunity days under another counselor. But because I also counseled that badge, and I am in his troop and neighborhood, he contacted me to finish it up when he was ready - 7 or 8 months later.

Now, this particular boy is rather young and shy. though he has been in the troop almost 2 yrs, he just reached Tenderfoot at summer camp this summer. his family is very religious and he misses alot of scout things because of church events. He DID mention it to me that he had completed the requirements and needed to have them signed off - after his mom reminded him.

he never did get the gumption up to call me at home - but I'm never home anyway, and I had told him he'd probably get the machine, but that I WOULD get back to him. His mom also explained that he panicked when confronted with a machine and would just hang up - something ALOT of young boys do - they just don't "think on their feet" -esp when dealing with an adult.

i guess I'm saying that how much i "follow up" depends on the boy and the badge - some need a little more help, others don't.

With this boy - he worked better face to face - so after meeting one night, when I had time and he had remembered his stuff - we sat down in a corner of the main room and went over it. much of it he had done in school - speeches and things - and he had done a great job.

Many of the merit badge counselors in our area simply don't return calls - from adults or kids. and this is just plain rude - even if they are no longer counseling, they could AT LEAST return the call and say so! Our district has not put out a new list in over 2 years!

On the whole,though, we post a list of merit badge counselors that we know in our troop and area and the badges they counsel in our troop library, and the boys are expected to make first contact. but after that, it's a two -way street.

Our camps send the partials home to the troop, too - and they are finished on the local level at the boys pace. The "merit badge opportunity days" worked the same way - except that some MBC's choose to return the partial card directly to the boy on the last day, and others turned them in to the organizers to be returned to the troop at roundtable.

some MB counselors were very poor with blue cards. i feel the MB counselor at leaset must take responsibility for making himself available by signing the card initially and being available by phone! The one who did "Cit in the Comm" Didn't even sign the card in the beginning, and didn't sign off for the partial requirements they DID do, on my son's and some other boys' cards. My son is ADHD - and this kind of organizational follow up is just out of his league without help. More persistant boys got their cards signed. Since there was more than one running classes, we couldn't even contact him to find out what they HAD completed!

there was a merit badge counselor in our troop for that MB - and I encouraged my son to at least contact her and get credit for what he had already done - even if he didn't choose to finish it then. Which he did, once, and they never got together. I reminded him a few times, but if he chooses to "loose" that work - well, I can only do so much. Even with his ADHD - HE has to take some responsibility for pursuing badges and getting credit for work done!

When it becomes important enough to him - he will.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does a merit badge opportunity day or university fit into the BSA plans if a troop working on 1 or 2 per year does not? If the district sponsored it; it would certainly seem these people would be familiar with the methods of scouting and advancement procedures. I wonder how they are helping the boys to develop if they are setting it all up for them. My son arranged a time with a local merit badge counselor to work on his citizenship badges; the counselor told him he preferred to work on them as a group so my son made a sign up sheet and announced it at the next meeting. The scouts that were interested signed up and they met with the counselor on their own time. Did he deprive younger scouts of the opportunity to contact the counselor themselves? They didn't feel that way and were ecstatic to earn the badges. The ones that did not keep track of their work and did not return it did not complete the badge and had a partial at the end of the time. When looking at the big looseleaf book youth leaders use to plan meetings, it is easy to see that meetings can be tied into merit badges. As Korea explained, a theme is planned with the meeting plans centered around the plan. If a troop merit badge counselor is on hand is there anything wrong with issuing a partial to the boys that pass the requirements? Does it force them to complete the rest of the badge to issue partial blue cards? Or does it give them something to work on in the future? Is summer camp counter productive to BSA goals and program methods? Why do they offer merit badge classes for more than one scout? How is this using the BSA methods? I think we all agree that meetings are not meant to be merit badge classes all the time or even a majority of the time but use some common sense...if the boys want to work on a couple badges a year that is something they should be able to plan into the meeting time without thinking they are flushing the program.

The program does not recommend merit badge classes during troop meetings for the same reason you wouldn't do them during a Court of Honor or Patrol Leaders Council meeting. It does not meet the goal or purpose of the meeting. I dont believe anyone has said it would flush the program. Several posters have simply pointed out in response to the original question that teaching merit badges is not a part of troop meetings (see the Scoutmaster Handbook), nor is it recommended as a troop activity except under very restricted circumstances, (see the Advancement Committee Policy and Procedures manual).

In order to do the class as a troop it needs to be a topic that the entire troop would get enjoyment and benefit from. It would need to be one that could be presented in a way to meet the comprehension, abilities, and interest, of a variety of ages at once. When a MB counselor meets with one or two scouts his/her instruction can easily be aimed at that age level. The troop program is designed to give instruction in three age groups in order to be the most effective.

The Boy Scout Handbook tells the scout that they can pick their own merit badges based on their personal interests. It tells them to get a blue card from the scoutmaster and to contact a counselor to set an appointment to meet with them. That is the way merit badges are designed to be done. The program allows exceptions for summer camp under specific caveats.

Can MB be done at troop meetings? Yes, but it should not divide the patrol or be a regular diet of the troop meeting according to the BSA program.

Bob White

The Boy Scout Handbook tells a Scout he can pick his own badges but he must have approval form his SM & the SM picks the counselor.

Now if the PLC decides they want to set aside 1 meeting each month for merit badge instruction, so be it! It is their program. And I can't seem to find where in the Scoutmaster Handbook where it says teaching merit badges is not recommended as a Troop activity. Anyone got a page #?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

"The Boy Scout Handbook tells a Scout he can pick his own badges but he must have approval form his SM & the SM picks the counselor"

Actually it doesn't say any such thing.

Page 187 of the Boy Scout Handbook "Obtain from the Scoutmaster a signed merit badge application and the name of a qualified counselor for that merit badge."

It does not say that you require the scoutmasters approval. No advancement requires that you get an adult to approve you to learn something. It does not say the the SM picks the counselor. Just that you get the name of a qualified counselor from the SM before you begin.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

To me, a signed merit badge card indicates approval. Same as whne you sign your kid's report card!

And by the SM giving the Scout the name of a qualified MB counselor, the SM is picking the counselor, not the Scout.

Still looking for that page # about merit badges not being a recommended Troop activity.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

"To me, a signed merit badge card indicates approval. Same as whne you sign your kid's report card!

As you say that what it means 'to you' but that view is not supported in any scout resource or scout leader training.

"And by the SM giving the Scout the name of a qualified MB counselor, the SM is picking the counselor, not the Scout."

What if there are multiple counselors available, doesn't a scout in the troop you serve have a say in which is closer, or known to him, or someone he would like to meet? What about when there is only one counselor, that is hardly "picking for him"? Again that is a personal interpretation not supported in any scouting resource or training.

"Still looking for that page # about merit badges not being a recommended Troop activity"

Good, I'm glad you are revisiting the handbooks. Try the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual, and I believe the Scoutmasters Handbook. If you still have trouble finding it let us know. There are a number of posters who can direct you to the appropriate pages.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Just to see everybody break this down to little itty bitty pieces, has been entertainment enough.

Come on Scouters (assumption, yes), no minds have been changed. Everybody's right, and no one is going to budge.

Case closed.

YIS

sst3rd

We don't teach MB topic at troop meetings, but during advancement time boys working on badges can meet with MBC's and get requirements passed and signed. Usually it is one or two boys and others are available to work with the lower ranks on advancement. I sure hope this model is acceptable because that is how we have been doing it, although not ALL MB work takes place at troop mtgs.

Also, a question about working on them in groups. I have been told this is not how MB are supposed to be taught, and we don't do this in our troop, but it certainly takes place in camp, so how is that different? Also, coming up in a few weeks is a MB day put on by different counselors in the district. There will be group teaching here and this was promoted at a recent roundtable. Am I missing something?

If multiple counselors are available then that's great! It's not interpretation. IN the Boy Scout Handbook it says "Obtain from the Scoutmaster a signed merit badge application and the name of a qualified counselor for that merit badge." No interpretation is necessary. The Scoutmaster give the Scout a signed blue card & merit badge counselor name. That's what it says!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

The appropriate reference in the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures is found on pages 26-27, "Group Instruction of Merit Badges".

1. Allows for the group instruction of merit badges when the subject is appropriate to a mass presentation, or special facilities and experts make this method more practical.

2. Allows MB instructors to present the HIGHLIGHTS of a merit badge subject in unit meetings, with perhaps a skill the Scouts can try. This is to spark interest in the subject.

Nowhere does this section indicate that MBs should be taught at unit meetings, just dangled like a lure.

Hope this helps!

PS - for those who may care - yep, I finally got trained! :)

Bob White,

I know what the SM Handbook says, and I agree with your interpretation. The SM is the one who is assumed to keep the resource - the MB counselor list. The Scout does not have this resource. Therefore, the Scout obtains the information from the SM so that he (the SCOUT) can choose his MB counselor.

My resources are not with me right now, but doesn't the Committee Guide Book or other resource say that the Troop Advancement Chair keep the MB Counselor list? Therefore, shouldn't the BSA literature be updated to say "Obtain from the Scoutmaster a signed merit badge application and the FROM THE ADVANCEMENT CHAIR, the name of a qualified counselor for that merit badge."

As a SM, any task I can off-load to another is welcomed! (I typed this only half jokingly.)

Actually, according to the source I cited previously the advancement chair maintains the list of MB couselors. Hopefully, he/she gives a printed copy to the SM whenever it is updated - at least annually. Often, in our troop, the advancement chair is present only during BORs and COHs. (Not including TC meetings, which usually don't include the boys.)

There techically is no such thing as an Advancement Chairman (officially). It is not a recognized adult position in Scouting. The adult who oversees and enhances the part of the program that is advancement is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of, the Committee Chair (officially). I do believe, however, that in most Troops, the practice is that this person is treated as if there is an actual office of Advancement Chair. I believe this is actually a good thing, for, as was mentioned, anything a Scoutmaster can delegate (probably a better way to phrase it) is good. This would be true of the CC also.

That said, when a Scout approaches whomever maintains the list of Merit Badge Councelors, they should be given all reasonable options for whom the Scout may contact. Certainly, it makes no sense to tell a Scout that there is a councelor 50 miles away if there are others in town, but a scout should be told of all reasonable options, and be allowed to make the final choice himself.

I would be very in favor of the Scoutmaster offering his oppinion as to which instructor may be the best fit for that Scout, but the final decision should be the boys.

Mark