Why my beads were not just mailed to me

There is somebody on the open discussion board that is ruffling feathers again. I don't agree with much he says but he sure causes alot of dialog. I have had a hard time controling my mouth when it comes to some of his points of discussion.

I think boys look good in neckers. I hope they like them. Our numbers are up. I want kids to enjoy Scouting as much as I did.

I don't apoligize that I have a Rockwellian view of the world.

I live in a small town in Upstate New York. There's not much special about it. It's "my" town. Where I'm from and where I'll die.

Scouting meant alot to me as a kid. I am still thankful to those who volunteered to run the program in "my" town. Evidently my old Scoutmaster, Bear leader(husband and wife) Cubmaster, Webelos leader feel the same way,they have all lived and died or continue to live in "my" town.

When it came time for the beading. I invited the old Scoutmaster and the Bear Leader. The Cubmaster is now the COR so that was easy. Webelos leader had passed away. Wolf leader was in Florida with Parkinson's disease. My mom was still friends with her and visited with her every winter. So I wrote her a letter to thank her. If you'll indulge me here is it:

Dear Mrs. Sheedy ( I know thats not your name anymore but that is how I always think of you.)

My mother is on her way to see you so I thought Id write a quick note.

I remember all the times I saw you; I was playing with your sons, trip the beach with our families and Cathy Michaels and your niece, trip with you the Watervliet arsenal Firehouse so your sons could see where Grandpa worked.

All those things were fun, but the thing that stuck with me the most was Scouting.

Making candles, skit where I was Abraham Lincoln, pinewood derby, getting promoted.

I thank you for taking the time to do all that. Look at the other events that took place because you volunteered your time.

My mother is by your bed side right now because of Scouting. That is when the two of you became friends. Your trials and tribulations of working together with the wild bunch we had led to a lifelong friendship. I loved Cub Scouts and earned cub scouting's highest award, the arrow of light.

I was not much of a Boy Scout but if I toot my own horn I am a good Scout Leader.

With the help of others I have accomplished the following:

I taught 90 boys how to ice fish.

I exposed boys to a man with a team of sled dogs.

I got a river otter expert to speak about Hudson River otters.

I planned trips to the Boston aquarium and USS Constitution, Ft. Ticonderoga, Cooperstown and the Baseball hall of Fame.

Ive taught 75 leaders how to make a plastic litter bottle of soda into a rocket with a compressor and water.

The List goes on..

Because you were there at a point in my road of life, and my mother was there to help, I love Scouting.

I have taken the most demanding training, Wood Badge, a course Baden Powell himself first organized. This is a strenuous 6 day course in the woods followed by 18 months of project work.

In closing Im thankful most of all because my son is in Scouting. He loves it and is well on his way to earning Cub Scoutings highest award. Long after you and my mother have gone to heaven (only through the grace of Jesus Christ) my Williams grandsons will be in Scouting.

Dee, thats quite a big snowball that you started rolling down the hill. It continues to grow. All of that joy in the hearts of young boys, all because you gave a few afternoons of your time.

Thank you and God Bless you.

My mother hand delivered it, flying to Florida, on a Friday.

Trouble was Dee died before she got there. She never got the letter. It was too late to thank her.

My beading came the week after. The husband and wife Scoutmaster and Bear leader could not make it. Their eyes are bad and they can't see at night. The person that was supposed to drive them was not available at the last minute. They are said to have been the last silver beaver/silver fawn /husband wife team. Mr. Olivan took his WB at Schiff, Mr Hillcourt was there. Mrs. Olivan passed away about 6 months after the beading.

Troop Guide and "Ticket mentor" were the same person. He hung in with me until 8 days before the deadline when I finished. He could not come to the beading because GE sent him to Bombay , India so he could teach people how to work so GE can take jobs away from Americans that make GE wealthy.

COR came, my mother was present both were recognized. We had a cake. Had a log and an axe. CD made it very relevent to the boys. He named off the goals and asked the boys to raise their hands if they participated in any of the goal activities.

It was a sappy sentimental time. But that's the way we do stuff in "my" town.

• 2 months later...

I Am not a God fearing person BUT GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU IN HIS HEART we need more leaders like you. People like you are what makes this country and Scouting what it is. PS the women down in FL. weather you know it or not was at your beading ceremony. Most likly she was standing right next to you.

The poeople who come on to this site and ruffle feathers :( well just ignor them they know not what they are doing and talking about. This is for the True Scoutter at heart and YOU ARE ONE .

BE HAPPY AND DON'T LET THEM GET YOU DOWN :)

EK thank you for you kind words.

I don't fear God either, he's great to me, my kids get fed every day and my toilet flushes what more does a man need? and I pray he blesses you also. I pray he finds a way to your heart.

I hope she(Dee) was right there with me.

There used to be somebody here that we wasted way too much of our collective breath on.

• 1 month later...

This post tells us what Scouting is all about. I just finished the practical training course and have started working my ticket. My primary position is as a Unit Commissioner for two Cub Scout packs. I could have the beading done at a District Committee/Commissioner Roundtable, but we have a custom in our troop where I am a committee member that we are beaded at a troop meeting or Court of Honor. That way the Scouts know the adult leaders are going the extra mile with their training.

I joined Boy Scouts in 1956 and made it as far as First Class when you had to know Morse code or semaphore flag signaling. Before our son was born, I would be asked why I was a Scout leader since I had no sons in the program. The answer was simple. When I was a boy, there were adults who gave of their time to be our adult leaders, and I was just paying them back. Part of the Eagle Scout Oath/Pledge has the words "I will give back to Scouting more than it has given to me." That is the essence of Scouting.

Silver Eagle Pete

SR840