Philmont Invitations and Training

I got an invite about a month ago and sent it back a couple of days later. I'm attending the "Strictly for Scoutmasters" session on July 15. Anyone else on the forum attending?

GNX Guy- How old are your kids? I took my son when he was 14. He did a Mountain Man Trek while I was at the Training Center. It was the first time at Philmont for both of us and turned into a love affair for my son. He came home determined that our Troop was going to do a "real" Trek. It took 3 years, but we made it. He later became a Philmont Staffer for two summers. Interesting to me, I asked him when he was doing a lot of job interviews if anyone ever mentioned that he was an Eagle Scout? He said it rarely came up but the Philmont Staffer part of his resume was always a big topic of conversation. I strongly encourage anyone going to Philmont to take their kids and sign them up for the program for their age group. It is great!!

If you accept an invitation, be sure it is for a topic you know little about and want to learn about. I made the mistake of accepting an invitation for a topic I knew. The topic was not well described in Scouting Magazine or the material sent from PTC. The description for District Activities did not sound like a 101-type training, but an advanced training on District Activities. Alas, it was a 101 training for people who have never done any kind of district level activities planning. With over ten years on various camporee/klondike/similar district level activities, I gained nothing from this course. I contributed to others' learning, but I took away NOTHING NEW for my district. I would have been better off sending that invitation back requesting a different topic.

I don't make a lot of money. I spent close to a month's take home pay to get out there and back from the Maine Wilderness: registration (roughly $350 or so, can't recall now), flight ($750), cheap hotels ($20/night) the two nights before/after the training while waiting for my flight back, travel from Colo Springs Jetport to Philmont/back ($160--grabbed a last minute deal on a discounted rental car), meals before/after (mostly cheap fastfood dollar menu-type meals or occasionally microwave meals from supermarkets..I think the most I spent was $10 on one sit-down dinner and had leftovers for breakfast).

The week I was there, it was determined that I travelled the furthest of all attendees for that week. However, I got more out of sight seeing the two days before and after the training, then from the training itself.

Would I go again? I'm hesitant as the descriptions I see now look just like those from two years ago when I went and I fear getting another 101-type training. Nor could I now afford to spend a month's pay to go out there for it. (Since last time, I've gotten a mortgage.)

Nothing against the training itself. It was well presented, but as I said, I took the wrong topic. I said as such on my evaluation at the end of the week where my major complaint was that they need to plainly spellout a 101-type training as such instead of making it sound like it's a more advanced training. Maybe then they would get more folks from the far corners of this country to make the expensive trip down.

My advice to anyone wanting to go, take a topic you know little about and want to learn more on. DO NOT TAKE SOMETHING YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT!

Follow-up. I just received the materials for this coming summer and it's blank--I'm invited to attend any non-restricted session. Alas, as I said before I can't spare that kind of cash. And one of the sessions I wanted to take two years ago isn't available next summer: International Scouting.

It is also nice to see that they *HAVE* changed the title and description of the course I took, which is now called "Council & District Activities Leadership", and it now better reflects what the actual course content is.

• 2 years later...

Hmm, so,

got this letter in the mail today:

"Upon the recommendation of the Northern Star Council, it is my pleasure to invite you..." followed by lots of glowing praise and flattery.

I'm assuming this is a form letter/marketing piece to fill the conference sessions, yes? I'm given a password and council approval id.

Does this go to every registered scouter, assuming they didn't kill anyone in 08-09?

Anne in Mpls

Annie,

No those invitations are NOT sent everyone. In the council I worked for back in the day, the DEs were asked to recommend folks from their district to attend. So from my perspective,an invite was for the outstanding leaders inthe district. Even then, I did not nominate someone for every course available, nor was everyone nominated by the different DEs selected to receive an invite.

A few other factors I used to nominate people included, 1) what other training/activities they were doing that summer 2) their economic shape (my neck of the woods has been in economic hard times for a few years now) 3) and would they accept the invite.

I received my invite early this week, and at this point I think I will attend and bring my wife and 10-year old son with me for a nice western vacation. My sister moved to Denver and we haven't visited her there, so we'll go a few days early and then drive down.

The point about not attending a session you know a lot about is very interesting. I was planning to attend the Cubmaster sessions, but I'm very comfortable with that topic already, so maybe I need to try something different. I'm having lunch with our Council SE next week, and maybe he'll have a suggestion for me.

I never made it to Philmont in my short time as a boy scout, so I'm excited about finally getting there and also getting my son at early peek. Does anyone who has brought their spouse or children to a PTC session have any advice or recommendations about that?

Thanks, Melg

Thanks Eagle!

I guess I'm a little taken aback by the invite:

In my first year as a UC, I oversaw the demise of both units I was assigned. A nearby unit wanted to get to know me, I helped get their charter renewed in the nick of time, they started inviting me to their committee meetings, etc. so I asked if I could take them on too, then that morphed into being named ADC - my area now has three viable units, and no UCs but me.

I'm now into my second cycle of rechartering. So not sure I can top my first year's performance ;)

So you can see my confusion over a letter addressed to "top volunteers"!

I was kinda thinking of woodbadge this summer...roadtripping out to New Mexico sounds like a blast too, but Woodbadge is certainly more affordable, especially considering I wouldn't have to take as much time off work to do it. (Important as a single mom..)

You've seen my previous posts in this thread. I have received TWO invitations in the past two weeks. I'm guessing that our current DE forgot that I asked not to be invited and perhaps our former DE (now the council field director) may have also put in my name.

What I stated previously hasn't changed. I do not intend to accept the invitation, partially 'cause I really can't afford to spend a month's pay to go out there and back, even though I've received completely open invitations this time around, which is a change in their format from just a couple years back. Of the courses I read over, if I lived closer/could afford to attend, I'd possibly consider the course on international scouting. Why? 'Cause it's something I know little about (other than our interactions here with Scouts Canada just over the boarder) and as such, I might actually get something out of it.

You've seen the spoof Trained patches before? I have one on one of my uniforms: "Overtrained".

I'm also the guy they can't seem to recruit to take Woodbadge. After my past experiences with training, I'm not going to fork over that kind of money, upgrade my gear, oh, and try to convince my company that I need to take-off two long Thursday-Friday-Saturday (so the LDS leaders can attend) weekends during our busy fall season. But that's a rant for a different thread, unless I can produce a course syllabus to show my employer to show it might be worth letting me take it.

Anne, the letter is a form letter, but as others have said, someone has to recommend you to get one. If you see a topic you like/want to learn more about, go for it. They do a good job and your kids will have a blast too as they have a program to keep them busy while you're in class. You'll meet up with them again for meals, unless they're Venturer-age teenagers at which they'll get to go out on a backpacking trip for the week.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

Moxieman,

1) You can get a WB syllabus. The last time I talked with our Supply Division Scout Shop manager, it's not a restricted item.

2) According to my CPA, training (such as PTC) is tax deductible. Since I am NOT a CPA, I recommend you contact yours.

As for me, this is a deferral year. My money and EagleSon attend Mizzou.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Hubby and 20yr old Eagle son received theirs today. Can see hubby getting one but Eagle son rarely attends a meeting or anything else due to work so don't know how he got on the list. Guess I'll ask around the adults in troop and see how many got one.

We will be unable to attend due to unemployment and everything that goes with that.

At one time WB use to offer continuing ed hours. That was before WB21C. Also Some universities would take it as credit for management courses, but again before WB21C. I have not heard about that being offered withthe new course. If they did that, I may be able to get work to let me off to attend.

As for how I described it, that was in my council 10 years ago, so things do change. to bad the other high adventure bases don't offer advacne training.

"At one time WB use to offer continuing ed hours. That was before WB21C. Also Some universities would take it as credit for management courses, but again before WB21C. I have not heard about that being offered withthe new course. If they did that, I may be able to get work to let me off to attend."

AFAIK, they don't offer CEU credits with the new course.

My understand is that to do so, the BSA would have to pay a fee to one of the CEU groups. Not enough people took advantage of the CEU with the old course, so the BSA stopped it.

John-in-KC:

Tax deductions are for those who make enough money to make doing taxes with itemized deductions worth the effort. As I stated previously, the one time I went to PTC, it cost me one month's take-home pay. It'll be a while before I do so again. I barely make ends meet.

Right now, I have an invitation to attend and present my patch collection at a University of Scouting in Southwestern CT. I haven't accepted yet, 'cause I'm still trying to determine how I'm going to come-up with the funds for fuel to drive down/back (6 hours each way). I have relatives I could ask to put me up in Plainville, but they're in their late 70's.

Woodbadge: Round here, it is 'restricted'. I can't get a copy, period.