I'm about to sign up for Wood Badge this Spring, and this question came up in our latest committee meeting.

Do units usually pay for the cost of Wood Badge for one of their leaders, or does the leader usually pay for it out of pocket?

In our unit (a Cub Scout Pack), we usually pay the nominal costs that may be associated with leader training, such as at University of Scouting, although most training in our Council is usually free.

But given that the cost of Wood Badge is more substantial, should the unit pay for it? One concern was that for one or two leaders, it would not be a burden on the Pack, but what if a bunch of leaders suddenly wanted to sign up for it; now, I thought this was an unlikely scenario, given how hard it can sometimes be to get leaders to take the minimum training for their positions. Or should it be on a case by case basis depending on whether paying would be an undue burden on that particular leader?

Thoughts?

I took WB as a cub leader too, along with our Cubmaster. In our case, the pack paid something like $50 each. We each paid something like $120 plus any other costs out of pocket(like uniforming - both of us were still fairly new and working on acquiring pieces of the uniform). We each also applied for and received WB grants from our council's WB association to cover the remainder.

I thought that was a pretty fair division. I know that it would have been financially difficult for me to pay the full cost at the time and I also would not have felt right asking the pack to pay the full cost either, given the budget they had to work with. But I do also think asking the pack to pay part of the cost is fair. If nothing else, it provides another incentive for the WB'er to make sure to finish his/her ticket because the pack is investing in you and that's part of the "pay off" for the pack. And it gives the pack a greater interest and stake, may also help to get "buy in" from pack leaders into what you're doing.

Hey Dan - hope you get to be a BOBWHITE!

Lisa'bob

Dan,

I went thru WB back in the fall of 2003 when I was involved in Cubs. Our CM was on staff for the course and we had 3 other leaders go thru the same WB course with me. It was after we returned from WB that the committee discussed and voted on helping to pay 50% of the cost of WB if the funds were available. It just depends on the individual unit and what they want to do. some will pay it all, some will pay a portion and some will pay none. Personally, I think it is an excellent investment if a unit is financially able as it is in the best interest of the unit to have WB trained leaders.

Keep in mind, many Councils have scholarship funds to help pay for WB if cost is an issue for a participant.

I paid the whole ammount; and to boot closed down my shop for the 6 days of the course (I'm self employed)

Not to sound the martyr card, but have never thought of asking (or expecting compensation) for my Scouter "Duties" (for want of a better word)

BAck when gasoline was high, parents were howling about not getting enough for the higher gas bill; as I have a two seater vehicle, can't do my share of transporting Scouts, but haul equipment instead. If we need something for the camp, I'll drive into town and get it.

I do it for the good of my unit and for the fellowship of fellow Scouts.

Just the way I am!

It would have been difficult for me to pay the cost, but when mentioned the course to my committee chair (I'm the cubmaster), she said the pack would pay for it.

Therefore, when I wrote my ticket items, I made sure the majority provided a benefit to the pack.

Dan,

In my case, I did. Then again, I had the resources to do so :)

I wish for you ALMOST the same thing Lisa does: I hope you become an Owl. BobWhites: They TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!!! ;)

Truthfully, I wish for you a Patrol that passes through forming, storming, and norming pretty fast. The relationships are the biggest thing that matter!

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts. Now I feel like I can go back to my committee with some data for them to make a decision.

And to Lisa'bob and John-in-KC, a special thanks. It's exciting to see the enthusiasm for your patrol and patrolmates. I can't wait to experience it, no matter what animal I get. Although I'm partial to Beavers, since they were my college mascot....

If you are a union member, and AFL/CIO affiliated, the national office has a scholarship program to pay for WB. Check with your Council and union local president. Shop Steward might not know about it. Only problems are , you must apply WAY BEFORE the program, and ONLY AFL/CIO union members may avail themselves of this.

'COurse, maybe you could convince your local to sponsor you? Or its national afiliate? good, recognized leadership training!

Good luck, and have fun!

YiS(This message has been edited by SSScout)

Some units may cover all or part of the cost, usually reimbursing the participant once they get their beads.

Some councils may have WB scholarships, to help scouters who need some help financially. If your council doesn't have this, encourage them to do so. Most cases councils will have a 'wb association' (basically, everyone one who has earned their beads), and have an annual wb gathering or the like, the proceeds of which fund the scholarship. They may sell WB stuff, again, proceeds going to scholarship.

Dan

The bottom line is someone has to pay the fee. The difference is that some units have more motivation to supplement the training costs to leaders than others.

Ours opted to offer full payment for Wood Badge participants. This is possible primarily because they have the means and desire to have quality leaders. They see it more of an investment. It is an investment in the leaders - but more importantly an investment in the future of our boys in the Scouting program.

Incidentally, if you happen to belong to an LDS unit, recent focus of the general leadership of the Church has been shifting much more in favor of the Wood Badge training program. The General Young Men Presidency has specifically stated that the Church not only endorses the BSA programs, but in fact strongly encourages those who have been called to scouting to be trained in their positions. I feel it would be well worth your effort to discuss the options you may have with local leadership in regards to finding assistance with paying for Wood Badge. Not all units will be in favor or be able to find the funds, however training is encouraged by the General leadership of the Church.*

Eagle Pete

*Source: "Where Scouting is available, priesthood and Young Men leaders are encouraged to become adequately trained and familiar with the requirements for Scouting awards as well as the Duty to God Award so both programs can be prayerfully applied in meeting the needs of the youth." -- Charles W. Dahlquist II, Young Men General President

Not to change the subject, but we had two LDS men on our staff and several LDS members as participants. They received permission to attend our regular Friday morning thru Sunday evening schedule. The staffers told me that since it was in support of their called role as Scout leaders, it wasn't a problem that they be away on Sunday.

I would check with your unit first and see if they can provide you with some financial help..maybe no one has ever brought up the question before. Then if you do have a local WB Association, check with them to see if scholarships are available too..our local WBA provided scholarships for at least 2 participants and had other "resources" within the district who would cover the fee if needed too. IOW's...it can't hurt to ASK everyone!!

And I agree with SR540..if you are REALLY lucky, you'll get to be a member of the first and finest patrol..the BEAVERS!!! We're always the overachievers no matter what the others say!! ;)

Sue M.