Can I sing with others from "X" Wood Badge Patrol if I did not yet receive my beads???

OK, got to thinking............Just finished my 2nd Wood Badge weekend. Received my Training card that states that I've completed the practicle Wood Badge Training Experience.

Let's say I was in the Bob White Patrol (which I was not)and happen to attend a beading ceremony, should / is it OK to join in and sing with the Bob White Patrol even though I have NOT YET completed my ticket goals and received my beads??????

Thanks

I'm a bit confused by the question, but what I have seen done is sometimes you get to be "honorary" members of a patrol at beading time so if you're invited to sing along with them..I think it's ok, especially if they only do one verse. If they do the whole round though you'd go with your own critter patrol.(This message has been edited by SueM)

I'm more confused by your answer???? I did not say anything about singing with a patrol that I was not in. It was hypothetical.

Maybe this will be more clear.

OK say your a Bob White but did not yet get your beads. Can you sing with the Bob White patrol or do you have to wait till you get your beads to sing "with" them.

Run on up to the front of the room and sing away with your patrol! Don't even THINK about staying silent in the back.

While you're working your ticket, you're still a Wood Badger. When you've worked your ticket and earned your beads, you'll always be a Wood Badger. (I don't know and, hence, don't opine upon, what happens if your time runs out and you haven't earned your beads.)

I dunno about them there Bobwhites, eh? Flighty creatures.

But you'd sure be welcome to belt out "I ustah be a Beavah!" with the rest of us "dam" Woodbadgers. Takes a while to gnaw down a tree into a couple o' beads, eh? Just cause yer still gnawin' doesn't mean you don't have whiskers and a beautiful flat tail!

I really can't ever remember reading or hearing of any hard and fast rules on this.

My thoughts are:

Back in the day when I was Scouting in England. A young Lad in the pack would move into the Troop when he was 11 years old. This normally happened after the Grand Howl and if the Lad had earned the highest award in Cubs (Then Wolf Cubs) the Leaping Wolf Award he leaped from the pack into the Troop and his new Patrol.

So go ahead and sing. (We can Bear it.)

Beavah

Have you ever looked at the diet of the Beaver? Or how they go about getting the nutrients from what they eat? That beautiful flat tail is a lot more than a rudder!!

Others not as kind as myself might go so far as to say Beavers are full of it!!

Eamonn.

GNX,

Greetings!

My bottom line.. Yes.

I have sung with my critter and staffers in a few councils. It seems each Council sings it just a little bit differently.

Some councils have replaced the word "If" and replaced it with the word "While" (to make it sound more positive). "...work my ticket, while I can..."

Some councils don't run to the front and sing enthusiastically, but rather the Wood Badge'rs stroll to the front and sing it soft and emotionally (boy, did I look different when I ran to the front) I guess we can call that diversity.

If only one person from a patrol is represented, some councils don't let that single person sing a solo and everyone will join in for that verse. Other councils will make that single critter sing a solo.

The only disqualifier I can think of. On rare occasion, with weekend courses. Sometimes a learner does not return to the second session (work, illness, forgot, a multitude of reasons). But if they have not completed the six course days of wood badge, the may not yet be a permanent part of that patrol, and disqualify themselves.

If you have attended both weekends (or an entire week of wood badge). Yes, you are part of that patrol and should sing with your patrol each time. Regardless of participants (learners) neckerchief, completed beads, shirt and tie, dress suit, or jeans and a t-shirt.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I have also just finished the 2nd weekend GNX Guy, and I will offer this. I am an Antelope and none of Troop 1's staff are Antelopes here, however before we dismissed from Gilwell, our SPL had us sing at Gilwell field before we were dismissed and the SM and SPL ran over to sing with us 'lopes as no other 'lopes were there, I thought it to be a very noble move and think the world of my SM and the SPL for doing it. Are you in C19-06?

To answer the original question.

Those that have completed the course and are working on their tickets are welcome (I would say even encouraged) to join in the singing of the WB song. Heck, in my area, most of those working on their ticket wear their paricipant neckerchiefs until they do earn their beads, so they stand out.

Cubmaster Randy

You don't know how lucky you are.

"I used to be a beaver, but will always be an Eagle"

If I were to post:

"I used to be a Cuckoo and a Bear, but I'll always be a Queen"

I think I might get some strange looks!!

Eamonn.

(When we do sing the song I do a solo for the Cuckoo -While all my so called pals laugh!!)