Actually Youth Protection IS REQUIRED.

On the last couple versions of the Adult Volunteer Application (including the brand new one) -

Youth Protection Training

All volunteers are expected to complete Youth Protection training. It is available online on the Web site http://olc.scouting.org and each local council provides training to leaders on a regular basis throughout the year. As a volunteer, you are expected to complete the training within 90 days of assuming a leadership position.

Then on the back page of the application, it has a section titled - "What Makes a Trained Leader? (Check when completed)". The very first box to check off is for Youth Protection Guidelines.

Fast Start is NOT in that list. However at the top under "Every Boy Deserves a Trained Leader", it states that you should start off with Fast Start "which presents a quick introduction to get new volunteers ready for your first meeting or activity."

FScouter,

I beg to differ with you. As I recall the latest coming down from the top and I belive its on the back of the Leader Application (I don't have one in front of me right now" It specifically states Youth Protection"

Joe

ScoutNut and GNX Guy

No one has denied that Youth Protection Training is required for all scout leaders. However, the original question was, "What all do I need to get my Trained badge?

It is my understanding that the only requirements to wear the Trained leader emblem are as stated in the Leadership Training Committee Guide. Again, I will refer back to FScouter's post -

Quoting from the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34169A:

Cub Scout leaders must complete Fast Start and Basic Leader Training for their position to be eligible to wear the Trained leader emblem. Basic Leader Training has two components: New Leader Essentials, (and) Leader Specific Training designed to train the new leader in the specific responsibilities of his or her position."

I will verify whether there has been a change in policy to require Youth Protection Training as well to wear the Trained leader emblem. If so, this is news to me.

Let me emphasize, however, that Youth Protection Training is now a requirement for all scout leaders, regardless whether they have completed the above requirements to wear the Trained leader emblem. Due to recent BSA policies, I simply recommend to all units that they make sure that all leaders complete Youth Protection Training, regardless of their Trained status. It's just the right thing to do!

Eagle Pete

Please refer to this site

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Trained&x=37&y=14

I would consider this the official word on the matter. No where on that site does it state that Youth Protection Training is either required to be able to wear the Trained leader emblem.

Until National states otherwise, let's be clear on this and do not discourage a leader from wearing the Trained leader emblem as long as they have completed Fast Start Orientation, New Leader Essentials, and Leader Specific Training for their position, even if they have not yet completed YPT (BUT, get them to YPT ASAP!)

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

Thanks for the info about the new adult leader application. It is so new that our council doesnt yet have any. It can be viewed on the national web site at

http://www.scouting.org/forms/28-501D.pdf

Interesting that it does indicate the YP is part of being trained, but the very next sentence says Cub Scout leaders are considered trained when they have completed New Leader Essentials and the Cub Scout Leader Specific Training for their position. It then says pack committee members are trained simply by taking New Leader Essentials. That is surely an error in editing. I doubt that the Leader Specific Training for Pack Committee Members is being abandoned.

The application form is frequently updated and the language will surely be clarified in future revisions. When policies do change it takes time before all relevant publications reflect the changes. Many pubs are revised only every year or 2 or 3.