GNX is right that you don't need OWL to get the trained badge. But I'd encourage you to do it anyway if possible because it'll help you identify more resources and ideas for teaching those outdoor webelos pins. Plus it is a fun course.

(And while you're at it...sign up for BALOO too - since you have to have someone w/ BALOO training at all pack campouts it can't hurt to have a bunch of BALOO people in the pack. Plus it will be useful when you are planning den campouts.)

Have fun,

Lisa'bob

To receive your "Trained" strip you need -

Fast Start

Youth Protection

New Leaders Essentials

Cub Leader Specific

After this your council will give you your strip (you can not purchase it on your own).

As has been said, OWL is not required, but it is highly suggested. As a brand new Cub Leader & a new Webelos Leader, I think that you should make a point of taking OWL also. It will be invaluable to you for the outdoor Activity Pins & getting your den out camping on their own.

A Webelos is a unique critter & you should get as much training about them as possible!

OWL as they call it is no longer offered at least in our Council. It has been replaced with the new course named Outdoor Leaders Skills for Webelos Leaders. It mirrors OLS training for Boy Scout Leaders. In fact they are run at the same time then split for certain training activites.

(This message has been edited by GNX Guy)

Youth Protection training is NOT a requirement to be considered a trained Cub Scout leader.

Quoting from the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34169A:

Cub Scout leaders must complete Fast Start and Basic Leader Training for their position to be eligible to wear the Trained leader emblem. Basic Leader Training has two components: New Leader Essentials, (and) Leader Specific Training designed to train the new leader in the specific responsibilities of his or her position."

YPT is required for some other things, such as tour permit requirements, pack overnighter, adult leader training awards, etc.

Queenj,

FScouter is correct, youth protection training is NOT needed to wear the trained patch.

It appears that the only training you have left to take to qualify for the trained patch is New Leader Essentials. It is ~90 minutes.

SWScouter

In my council, all you need to get a Trained strip is $1.35 at the Scout Shop. They're just as available as any other non-Eagle patch.

That said, our district Training staff does hand out strips at the conclusion of appropriate courses. Some of us have developed quite a collection of Trained strips that way! Of course, a Scout(er) is Trustworthy, so s/he would never consider wearing one if it wasn't properly earned.

Bravo oldsm!

Years ago, as a newbie Scouter, I used to chuckle when I went into a Scout Shop and looked around at all the badges, patches, ranks, knots, and other insignia freely available to anyone (with the exception of the Eagle insignia and, of course, the Wood Badge). After earning a couple of those insignia I understood that it would do me no good to adorn my shirt with meaningless, unearned badges.

It does make it easier to replace an old or damaged shirt with a new one and add all the earned insignia. I could imagine the administrative nightmere for Scout Shop managers (and Scouters) to try to keep records of all the Scouters' paperwork for every earned badge. Heck - you are lucky if your council records are kept up to date. I can see the reasoning behind simply selling the insignia with an "On My Honor" policy.

Eagle Pete

I think you all missed the boat on this one.

The "Trained" badge is only earned with a specific position patch in mind. The requirements for being trained as a committee chair, Scoutmaster, Cub Master, etc. are all different.

First, it is highly recommended that one takes Fast Start training (may be done online) ASAP.

To be considered "trained" you need to:

Complete New Leader Essentials Generic for all unit level Scouters. Gives an overview of the BSA's values-based program.

Leader Specific Training Leader Specific training has been developed for the following positions and their assistants: Tiger Cub den leaders, Cub Scout den leaders, Webelos den leaders, Cubmasters, Pack committee members, Scoutmasters, Troop committee members, Venturing committee members, and Venturing Advisors.

Cub Scout Leaders are considered trained when they have completed New Leader Essentials and the Cub Scout Leader Specific training for their position.

Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters are considered trained when they have completed New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster Specific Training, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

Troop Committee Members are considered trained when they have completed New Leader Essentials and Troop Committee Specific Training.

Varsity Scout leaders and assistants are considered trained when they have completed New Leader Essentials, Varsity Scout Leader Specific Training (in our council Boy Scout Leader Specific is also accepted), and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

Venture Crew Advisors, Assistant Advisors, and Crew Committee Members are considered trained when they have completed New Leader Essentials and the appropriate Venturing Leader Specific Training.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

Actually, I believe that FScouter hit it right on the nose here:

Quoting from the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34169A: Cub Scout leaders must complete Fast Start and Basic Leader Training for their position to be eligible to wear the Trained leader emblem. Basic Leader Training has two components: New Leader Essentials, (and) Leader Specific Training designed to train the new leader in the specific responsibilities of his or her position."

Not sure where we "...all missed the boat on this one". Quoting from the LTC Guide pretty much covers it, doesn't it?

Help me see where we missed something.

Eagle Pete

Eagle Pete,

Only thing you missed is the CONCEPT of training in BSA these days. Acco-40 spelled that out.

Each time you sign on to a new position, you are untrained in that position until you've taken the appropriate Leader Specific Training.

When Mr/s Queenj or Mr GNX-guy moves from Webelos to Boy Scouting, they'll be UNTRAINED for their new positions until they take the appropriate LST module.

Thank you for making that clear. Although this was explained very well to us in the LST I attended.

Additionally, I also learned that when a leader changes positions in Scouting, they should REMOVE their Trained strip until the appropriate Leader Specific Training is completed for the new position. Once the new LST is completed the leader can then wear the Trained strip again.

And I learned that the Trained strip is positioned just under your Badge of Office - infact it should be touching the base of the Badge of Office - signifying that you have been Trained for that specific position. (Exception: moving from assistant to leader within the same office type does not require this - for example going from Assistant Scout Master to Scout Master - The Leader Specific Training received originally as an assistant is sufficient to be considered Trained for the new position as well.)

I apologize and I don't mean to sound flippant, but I served as our District Training Coordinator for over a year, have attended many, many trainings, and I believe I have a good handle on the Basic and Leader Specific Training process. In my position, I've made it my business to know the BSA Training concepts and processes.

I do appreciate the clarity and I whole-heartedly believe in helping any leader to clearly understand their positions in Scouting. I also know I have much to learn in Scouting and welcome any and all help in that regard. Please feel free to correct me whenever it is necessary.

Eagle Pete

Yeah, Pete, I didn't read FScouter's post too carefully. At a quick glance, of the other posts, I didn't see any mention of tying a position to a training. FScouter was correct, as he usually is. I just missed it.

I might add that the leader specific training for a Webelos Den Leader (or Assistant Webelos Den Leader) does not include Webelos Leader Outdoor Training (sometimes referenced as Outdoor Webelos Leader Training or OWL). This is supplemental training.

No Problem at all, acco40

I believe the original intent and focus of the posts on this thread was to try to address queenj's question about earning the Trained badge and I believe it was well answered.

Your explanation of Basic Training requirements is excellent and breaks down very well each of the Scouting Families and positions and their specific requirements. This kind of thing should be handed out at Roundtables and at trainings for new leaders. Great information!

Thanks

Eagle Pete