Adult Leader Training Award Medal

A couple of nights ago I was at a scouting function and one guy from district had a whole bunch of knots on his shirt. On one of them there was a pin with what I swear looked like a pelican on it????

I intended to ask him about it because I'm curious, but everybody was busy and I never got the chance. And now I can't even remember what color the knot was!

Is this pelican-thingy an example of what you guys are referring to when you talk about medals and devices that go w/ the knots? And does anybody know what this one might've been for? (with apologies for what I'm sure is a horrible description)

Lisa'bob

Lisabob, no we're talking about real medals, the kind you wear around your neck with a ribbon.

I could be mistaken, but it sounds like you might've seen the Bronze Pelican lapel pin being worn on an adult religious award knot (which is purple knot on silver-gray background).

Here's a picture of the Bronze Pelican medal (the lapel pin looks like the circular portion of the medal):

http://www.peoria-dccs.org/BSA/Bronze%20Pelican%20app.html

Its possible what you saw was an adult religious knot with a Bronze Pelican lapel pin worn as a "device". If its the Bronze Pelican, awarded by some Catholic Dioceses, I don't believe its appropriate to wear on the adult religious knot, because the Bronze Pelican doesn't qualify for the Catholic adult religious award; that's the St. George.

Anyway, recipients of the Bronze Pelican are awarded a medal that can be worn around the neck on a ribbon, and a Bronze Pelican lapel pin.

"I could be mistaken, but it sounds like you might've seen the Bronze Pelican lapel pin being worn on an adult religious award knot (which is purple knot on silver-gray background). "

Thanks for the explanation Fred! To be honest, I was thinking I must've been mistaken in what I thought I saw because, hey, pelicans?? But having read the info from the link you provided, it makes more sense and based on the picture of the medal I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Just goes to show (again) what a fabulous place this forum is! I learn new things here every day. (And most of them are even true!)

Lisa'bob

• 4 weeks later...

"Never knew there were medals for tenure knots or the like."

'tenure knots'?? There is no such thing. Service stars show your tenure in scouting.

They are training awards. Tenure only plays a part in their requirements. The medals are the awards, the knots are the every day uniform wear for them.

You are probably not aware of the medals as they are only worn at formal occasions, if that.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to buy my own medals for Scouter Training Award, Scoutmasters Key (both hang-from-the-pocket type), Cub Scouter Award, and Cubmaster Award (around the neck). That was years ago, and I had to ask for them at the Scout Shop. Too bad they're discontinued. Sorry, mine aren't for sale : )

• 1 month later...

Back in the earlier days of Scouting the Scouter's Key and Scouter's Training Award were developed for Key or head leaders in each of the programs, and other leaders and adult volunteers. Each was a small gold device hanging from a green and white ribbon. The Key looked like an academic key with the Tenderfoot logo in front of the "key", and the Training Award was a gold letter "A" with the Tenderfoot logo on the front. The white strip on the suspension ribbon was wider on the Scouter's Key award as well.

In the late 70's the Cub Scout volunteers had a whole now array of awards generated, reflecting the different positions in Cub Scouting, and the fact that many adults didn't stay in Cub Scouting for long. These awards were represented by medals on ribbons that were suspended from the neck, and varied for the specific award. At the same time, Cub Scouters who had earned the Scouter's Training Award before 1988 could continue to wear the award medal or the knot signifying the award, and place a small gold representation of the Cub Scout logo on the knot or suspension ribbin, to signify earning the award in Cub Scouting.

Some time later, I would have to guess in the 90's, BSA stopped manufacturing the neck awards for the Cub Scout Leader awards, ONLY, leaving the councils to sell or award whatever stock they had on hand. I suspect that district training committees were too impoverished or cheap to put out the $ 7.00 for the award, when the knot could be purchased for less than a dollar.

Since then BSA has only stocked the Scouter's Key and Scouter's Training Award medals, but has continued to stock and sell the small golden devices that can be placed on the award suspension ribbon or the award knot to signify in which program you earned the award. These devices were available for the Exploring, and Air Exploring, and are vaailable for Cub Scouting - if earned before 1988, Boy Scouting, Varsity, Venturing, Sea Scouts, Commissioning, and District Committee. Mike Walton's Site

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Scouter's Training Award medal originally was a "V", not an "A". It signified completion of the "5 year training plan" (I think it was called)...the V being a Roman numeral "5". When that plan was discontinued, the V became an "A" which has no significance, as far as I know. You can still find the medals on eBay from time to time.

I am in the market for a Cubmaster Award and Cub Scouter Award medal.