Adult Leader Training Award Medal

Hello all, first post, so yeah, I'm a newbie here.

Anyway, I recently earned by Adult Leader Training Award. I was awarded the knot and the certificate, but not the medal. I expected this, as my Council can be pretty cheap. Where can I get a medal? Can I order it directly from National, or do I have to go through my Council? I imagine there would be a nominal fee involved, but that's ok. Thanks everyone!

Jeff

I had to get mine on Ebay. If anyone has an extra Cub Scouter Award and/or Cubmaster Award to sell or trade, send me a PM.

PS: Welcome to the forum!(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Since the cloth square knot patch is a representation of the medal that was earned, it would seem strange if the medal itself would not available. Though, at least one award, the District Award of Merit, has no medal.

Looks like I was mistaken about the status of the leader training award medals; from Mike Walton's uniforming page:Some local Councils have also informed their volunteers INCORRECTLY that "the BSA is no longer issuing out medals and plaques and the only thing they are giving out is the square knot and the certificate". This is UNTRUE, says the BSA's Council Support Division's Director. If your Council has stated something like this, the BSA's Council Support Division would like to know; they have estimated that there is ONE Scouters' Training Award medal in storage for EVERY REGISTERED VOLUNTEER SCOUTER and there are similar stockpiles of those other award medals and plaques. All the Council has to do is pay for it. Some Councils may have you to pay for your own award, which may be "tacky" but it is one way of the Council cutting costs. The address for the BSA's Council Support Division is:

Council Support Division, SUM 108

National Office, Boy Scouts of America

1325 West Walnut Hill Lane

Irving, Texas 75061-2079

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/knoindex.htmOut of curiosity, has anyone on this forum been awarded a training medal in the last few years? My oldest knot (TDL) is from 2001 and I've earned several since, but never was I awarded a medal with any of them. I've been in two councils in that time; I've seen many training awards presented, but never with a medal, in either Council.

I received the District Award of Merit in 2003...the award was a plaque accompanied by a knot.

I have also received the Cubmaster Award, Cub Scouter Award, Scouter Training Award and Scouter's Key. No medals.

I have earned two Adult Leader Training awards (Boy Scout and Venturing), and was given only the knot and the certificate. I had to buy my own devices (Boy Scout and Venturing) for the knot/medal. And yes, there is a medal for the award available. Mine cost me $8 at the Scout shop and it was in stock but I had to ask for it. The little devices were about $3 a piece!

In my District when you receive the award, you are presented with the medal. I got the medal when I earned my Boy Scout Leader Training Award, but I had to buy the knot and device for my uniform. They handout medals and certificates at Roundtables to people who have earned the awards.

Scouters training award medal is cat# 00922

Scoutmasters Key/Varsity Scout Coach is cat # 00924

Cat #'s can be found in Insigna Guide.

District supplied knot and certificate. Troop purchases the medal for the Leaders who earn the award.

fgoodwin,last time troop purchased this medal was May 2004 if that helps you.

I was under the impression they had discontinued the various Cub Scouter training medals, but could be wrong. AFAIK, they still make the Scouter's Key and Scouter's Training Award.

District Award of Merit has no medal. Never did. It has only the plaque and knot.