Care and feeding of a Wood Badge Neckerchief

I got my beads last night!! I completed my ticket in about 7 months being the 3rd from the Buffalo patrol to do so (5th from the entire course).

I did not notice washing instructions on the neckerchief. Is it OK to machine wash and dry? Ironing OK? What about starch?

All my other neckerchiefs I have washed, dried, starched and ironed so they roll crisply, but the Wood Badge neckerchief definately feels like it is of a different material.

I have a few Gilwell Scarves.

Both the 100% wool and the mixed fabric.

I like the English neckers far better than the American ones as the ones from the UK are longer.

To be very honest I never heard of anyone ever using starch on a neckerchief before? But the laundry room is not familiar territory.

I have in a pinch rinsed mine out in washing up liquid.

Some years back I was staffing the old Cub Scout course, I was rushing around trying to play catch up, when I happened to meet the Cubmaster. She stopped me, shook her head. I thought she was going to tell me to slow down, but she said "You look unloved !! Go and iron your neckerchief."

Eamonn.

I have never done anything special with my neckerchief. If I ever do have to wash it, I would just be on the safe side and hand wash it with some mild detergent in cool water. I have never ironed or starched a neckerchief so I can't comment on that aspect.

Foxes rule, C-11-96

• 1 month later...

I have washed both mine and my husbands many times in the washer with our uniforms and OA sashes. I have also dried them in the dryer with no complications. I don't know about starching them as I have been afraid to use an iron on them. They do clean up nicely though with no change in color.

Leave it up to one of those danged Buffalos to go and get their necker dirty by wallowing. We Beavers stay clean. ;) I've not needed to clean mine.....yet, so I'll be interested in the suggestions you get.