How far do you travel for Roundtable?

45 miles one way. Been averaging probably 10 RT's a year for 18 years. I'm amazed when a leader I know that lives 2 blocks from our meeting place can't make it. I think it is about commitment rather than distance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 miles each way. Many travel farther. I don't go very often. Is it a matter of committment over distance? Commitment to what or to whom? My first commitment is on a local level. So, if my children are involved in a band concert on RT night, I will go there. If Bible Study is the same night, I will go there. If a Scout event is the same night, I will go there. Sometimes there are GREAT programs at RT! (Sometimes not.) But my faith, my family, and my Troop will come in ahead RT every time. And guess what? I'm not sorry.

Guess since I started this I ought to chime in. I travel about 5 miles each way to Roundtable. It is attended by the usual crowd. Many Packs and Troops are not represented. I think this is a universal problem and necessarily due to travel distance.

My work place is 28 miles from home, Roundtable is 3 miles from work. What I do is stop by my parents house for supper, and go to Roundtable from there. It is to far to go home just to come right back. As it is this makes a nice arrangment.

Under 10 miles.

We usually have 2-4 from our Pack attend. I have not attended over the last 3 years. I started attending recently in order to fulfill my leader knot requirement. I can see where attending earlier in my leader career would have helped my den and Pack.

• 8 years later...

I lived in one district of our council, was CA in a venturing crew in another and SM in a troop in the third. I used to drive 50 miles round trip for Venturing meetings and 40 miles round trip for weekly troop meetings. 90 miles round trip for Roundtable. Out of Venturing, different troop, home district, Roundtable is 20 miles round trip. Troop meeting is 35 miles round trip.

Stosh

I am less than a mile at the moment. There is talk of district realignment in my council, so that may change. If we get merged, and it's where I think It will be, It may be doable. BUT for another district that will be in the merger, it will be over an hour 1 way.