I got a lot out of Wood Badge. I learned a lot about the patrol method and a lot about myself.

For those who have served on Wood badge staff; did you get as much out of being on staff as you did being a participant? Should I through my name in the hat for next year's Wood Badge?

Being on Wood Badge staff is an exciting and wonderful experience. You will learn just as much, if not more by being on staff as you did going through the course.

Spread the word, let it be known of your desire to serve on the next course. When the opportunity arrives, take it, and cherish every moment.

I kinda think that everyone who has ever been involved in training has gotten as much out of it as the participants.

I have to admit that the first time I was asked to serve on a WB staff I said yes for all the wrong reasons.

I wanted that third bead.

It wasn't until I attended the first development weekend that I came to realize that the course wasn't being ran for my benefit.

It really is about the participants and is for them.

While the 21st Century course is supposed to not take up as much of the staffers time. You might want to take a long hard look at what you have on your agenda before saying yes. A lot of time goes into preparing for a course and it takes up about five or six weekends add these weekends to all the other weekends and it's easy for the dog to forget what you smell like.

Eamonn.

I got as much out of Wood Badge as a Staffer if not more than as a participant. The time commitment is formidable. I would say at least 5 week-ends between Staff Dev., facilities prep., and the actual course. In any position, but especially Troop Guide, you will hone your teaching and presentation skill. In our council, and I suspect most others, the Troop Guides do their presentations numerous times in Staff Developement for the rest of the Staff. You need a hide like a rhino the first time you do it. The criticism can be overwhelming. I have always found it to be positive and constructive, but I thought after years of Training I was pretty sharp. I'm better now. Don't forget, one of the qualifications to serve on Staff is completion of the Trainer Developement Conference. TDC.

Im one of those who staffed to plant seeds. I think this is one of the best youth programs a boy can take, so I felt the best way to help get more boys into scouting was to train more adults in such a way that they love scouting as much as I do. You are only one person, but what you do at Wood Badge or any course will have an effect on hundreds of our sons. If you dont staff, nothing may be lost, but you wont have a chance to have a positive effect either.

I love this scouting stuff

Barry

It (TDC) may be a requirement in that council...I've also had people tell me you had to take TDC to be District Training Chair or even on District Training Staff...NOT true in our district. So I suspect it's a decision made by that council.

From the Wood Badge Administrative Guide page 12, Staff Qualifications, Have participated in a Trainer development conference within three years of the appointment.

Thus, any staff member whould have to take TDC if they had not taken it within three years.

Dancin

In my opinion, first time Wood Badge staff service is the finest training experience we have in the BSA. I would most strongly encourage anyone to be on WB staff if they have the opportunity.

TDC is listed as a requirement for staff service within the previous 3 years. However, that requirement is often honored in the breach.