Taking Wood Badge in another council?

I would like to take WB this summer, however it is not being offered in my council this year and would have to go to a neigboring council to attend.

Last year our councils WB course was canceled due to not enough people signing up.

I have seen since then there has been a push to get leaders trained and a bigger turnout for training.

It seems that WB should be done wihtin your council to network with the other scouters in my council, however I do not want to wait another year to only find out it will be canceled again.

Any thoughts

Personally, I would take the course when you can. If you are active in your district, you already know some perhaps many of your fellow scout leaders, and you know a little about their unit(s). If you take the course outside your council, you only expand your resources/knowledge and you bring back resources to your council/district that they may or may not have. It is a win win.

It is a great course...you will work hard for your beads, it is worth it...have FUN with it and...Back to Gilwell...

Bill

(aka BBB Baby Buffalo Bill)

C-27-04

Buffalo Patrol

If you are considering taking wb through a neighboring council then you'll probably meet some folks from your own council too, esp. since your council's class didn't meet enrollment last year so there are probably several people who would've taken it in council last year, who will now be considering the neighboring council's program this year. Around here, we've got three councils that work together. They rotate courses so that each year it is in a different council, but participants come from all three (and elsewhere). If your council offers wb every other year then they may have a similar system set up with the nearby council.

Lisa'bob

I am in the process of registering for Wood Badge in a neighboring council. The dates of the course fit into my schedule, and it somehow costs less than the one being offered by my council. Since I am on a strict budget, it makes sense to me.

Cheryl O

I took my wood badge in the next Council north. Do not get me wrong, the friendships I have from my own Council are deep. That said, other folks have different experiences and different perspectives.

My Scouting network is broader, the resources I have are greater, and the friendships I've made are worth it!

I'd actually advocate going out-of-Council for WB.

YIS, John

A Good Old Owl Too

C-40-05

I took Wood Badge ina neighboring council because a course wasn't being offered in my council that year. It worked out great, doesn't matter which council you take the course in, just go.

C-11-96

I used to be a Fox.

Our Council is in a Wood Badge cluster.

There are seven Councils in the cluster.

The cluster used to offer one course a year, but when the new course came along we went to two. Sadly it looks like two is one to many.

Several courses were canceled because the numbers just weren't there.

Talking with the Area and Regional people they blame a lot of it on Cub Scouters not wanting to travel. I don't know it that argument holds water or not.

I think our Council could run a course once every three years and do OK, but we would really be hurting the other Councils.

Staffing a out of council course is a little harder and it can make the Patrol meeting a little more difficult. But from what I have seen as a rule before lunch on day one everyone forgets where they came from and feel proud that they are part of the course and their patrol, unless of course they are unfortunate enough to be a Beaver. It's sad but then again not everyone can be a Bear.

Eamonn.

Eamon obviously I can't speak to your council's situation but I can tell you that around here, the argument that cub leaders don't want to travel really misses the point. Not that this stops certain district and council folks (usually old salts who haven't had contact with the cub program in decades anyway) from trotting it out anyway. In fact, most cub leaders I've talked to are so busy just trying to figure out their basic job and do it well (including getting the basic training under their belt) that they haven't had time to seriously consider doing WB - if they've even heard of it, which most have not. Unlike with boy scouts where most leaders have at least some prior exposure to the BSA, a huge number of cub leaders are brand new to the entire program and have an awful big learning curve to overcome before they even think about WB. Further, around here at least, WB is still marketed primarily to troop and crew leaders, with minimal effort to reach out to cub leaders. No wonder they're not signing up in droves.

Perhaps the people who complain that cub leaders just don't want to travel ought to go and actually talk with some cub leaders.

(sorry - seems that you found one of the chips on my shoulder!)

Lisa'bob

CNY,

Do the out of council WB course. One of my fellow WB patrol members was from out of council and he loved it. It gave him many resources from a larger council and gave us an additional resource as well. He nad I both started new troops around the same time and we were able to be sounding boards for one another. Funny, but I ran into him in Kansas a couple of weekends ago. Our troops attended the same out of state event. Scouting seems to be a small world.

Now, if you truly want to do an out of council course, I have a registration form for the fall course I'm helping staff in the Last Frontier Council in Oklahoma. I'll be glad to mail you a form and take your deposit. Heck. I'll hand deliver it to the council office for you. ;)

Eammon,

Hmmmmm. do I smell Bear bait in the Beaver trap? The other patrols were always jealous because the best patrol always got to eat first.

I strongly recommend considering Wood Badge out of council, particularly if you have been a leader for a little while in your current council. You get to meet new people, learn new ideas and have a great experience.

Because I have trouble keeping a job :), I have been able to participate in Wood Badge in 3 different regions and in 9 councils. The course is great everywhere, but the little differences make for a wonderful experience.

Doing Wood Badge in your home council is great. Doing it out of council is great too.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and advise.

I sent my App and $50 deposit for the course yesterday.

It will be a while before I know if receive an "invitation".

I remember when I was in Scouts 2 of the SMs I had telling me about Wood Badge and I ope now I finally get the chance to take it.

I know my father who was in scouts for many years never made to WB, however back then it was a week long course and he couldnt get the time off to take it.

Cant wait until Sept.