Webelos 2 on camping trips

I'm looking for a few quick opinions. For about 5 or 6 years now, we have been routinely inviting Webelos 2 Scouts to our Troop campouts. I have been under the impression that a Webelos 2 can attend without a parent. We also do an annual recruitment campout in April where we invite the Weblos 1 Scouts but a parent or guardian must accompany them. We have a relatively new (mostly by the book leader) who insists Webelos 2 cannot go without a parent, even though we average about a dozen adults on our campouts. Also, doing it this way has allowed us to get each and every Webelos 2 Scout from our Pack to join our Troop for the past several years. We have found that in the time they spend with us they get to know our boys and leaders and the Webelos-to-Scout transition is successful. Does anyone else recruit new Scout this way?

I should mention that we do indeed invite the parents and one of them usually go to the first one but after they get to know us they're more comfortable in letting the boy go. I should also reiterate that the encampment we do in April includes a component to have Cub parents there by design. So, yes, we do build a relationship with the parents. I was just wondering on how Troops felt about the Webelos 2 going to Boy Scout weekenders on their own.

From the GTSS

Adults giving leadership to a pack overnighter must complete Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO, No. 34162A)

Permits for campouts shall be issued locally. Packs use Local Tour Permit Application, No. 34426B.

Joint Webelos den-troop campouts are encouraged for dens of fifth-grade Webelos Scouts with their parents to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips.

You can find it here http://www.scouting.org/cgi/gss/viewall.pl

dan,

BALOO is training for Wolves & Bear leaders. WOLT (Webelos Outdoor Leader Training) is for Webelos which is not mentioned in the G2SS. I will still take 2nd year Webelos on camping trips with us.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Our troop does something similar. However, we try to schedule a parallel campout at the same time and place as the Pack family campouts. Then we invite the Pack to locate their Webelos adjacent to the Troop and we work with them to introduce the patrol method. In the end the Cubs usually have a great time picking on the Boys and there are lots of laughs while learning the ropes, so to speak. The younger Cubs, who are sort of like free-range chickens (eating from all sources), infiltrate the whole process and it is a joy to watch. It is also a good lesson for the older boys who are not yet in official positions of leadership...what is in store for them soon.

Baloo is for "pack overnighters". Baloo training does not teach outdoor skills, it teaches how to PLAN a FAMILY campout ---- approved places to camp, suggestions for cooking, types of tents to use, planning of a games & activites for the families, etc.

First year Webelos can go camping as a den. From everything I have read BSA does encourage Webelos to camp with troops. It is a chance for the boys and the adults to get to know a troop and understand the Boy Scout program.

The two things to remember is that Webelos need an adult along with them and the troop should be focusing on the Webelos. One troop and one den camping together is a great idea. That is what is supposed to happen. Webelos should NOT attend camporees for troops. Many areas have Webelos Woods or Webelos-o-ree, many troops & Webelos dens where the Boy Scouts teach the Webelos scout skills and maybe have some competition. I know my Webelos loved that in the spring of the 4th grade, the parents also loved it (we learned how to read a compass!).

ed

those are not my words i cut and pasted that from the GTSS.

according to the GTSS a webelos must have a father or mother with them to camp. and it must be an BSA approved campsite.

Scouter659 and Dd

Dan is correct. Webelos are allowed to go camping with the troop, but the Webelos den(s) need to follow the rules for camping for Cub Scouts not Boy Scouts. This means that each boy needs to have at least one parent or guardian with them on the campout. Also keep in mind that there are activities that are approved for Boy Scouts that Webelos can not take part in. If you are inviting the Webelos to a campout that includes one of these activities make sure that there is a activities for that period that the Webelos can take part in.

"A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by his mother or father. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of an adult. Joint Webelos den-troop campouts are encouraged for dens of fifth-grade Webelos Scouts with their parents to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips." from GTSS

Somewhere I read that a Webelos Cub Scout parent (or guardian) may assign another parent suprevisory responsibility over their child but it cannot be the Den Leader. Not sure if this is 100% correct, I can't seem to find where I read this before.

acco40 brings up an interesting point. I was taught during WOLT (and it is still beging taught) that the correct Webelos to Adult ratio was 2:1 with the stipulation that the leader in charge could only be responsible for his own son.

This is from the Cub Scout Leader Book 1997 copyright (this is my most recent copy). "However,if a parent can't attend, arrangements must be made by the boy's family for one of the other parents (but not the Webelos den leader) or another adult relative or friend to be a substitute at the campout. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of an adult and that every adult have a share of the responsibility of the campout."

What is the correct ratio. Can one attending parent be in charge of two boys?

ScouterPaul,

From what I understand a non-leader parent can on thier own take care of another child durring a campout. That parent must have their own tent and the Scouts must share a tent. What I tell leaders at training is that this is allowed, but not recommended and should only be done if it is the only way for a Scout to attend a campout. I would also not get involved in helping a parents in getting together. One other thing to keep in mind. The Webelos/Troop outdoor activities do not have to be a campout. A Webelos campout and a troop outdoor activity are two seperate events that can be combined, but do not have to be. This means that a day trip to where a troop is camping out to participate in the daily activities or going on a day hike satisfies the requirement for a Troop outdoor activities.