Need Troop Guide presentations that use props.

HI All

I am the ASM for Troop Guides on our Spring course SR733. One of request by our TGs is some example of using props for TG presentations. I was not one that used props, so I dont have a lot to offer. However, I told them I knew of a great resource. So, if you can send a presentation that you gave, heard or have that used props in the Wood Badge Troop Guide presentations, I will be eternally thankful.

Thanks all. Have a great scouting weekend.

Barry

Hey, did I see some new Bob Whites on the list?

Hi Barry,

I had asked that our TG's sit with their patrol through all the presentations.

My feeling was that if they were there they could get a feel for how each participant was doing and would be on hand to answer any questions or clear up anything that wasn't understood.

This worked really well.

However it did at times mean that the TG's were rushing around a bit.

Nearly all the Patrol presentations took place in the Patrol site. Of course this was outdoors and there was no electricity. So power point wasn't really an option. I suppose you could use a laptop but I don't think it would work very well. We used table top flip charts. (I had light weight wooden chart holders made -they were nice -If I get time I'll send you a photo.)

This of course meant that at times the TG would be seen rushing to the Patrol site, flip chart in hand, note cards at the ready. Having them carry a lot of other stuff might have difficult.

We did have some little signs made that were placed around the participants neck which were used I think in the Communications Presentation. If I remember correctly they read "Sender" and "Receiver" These were not in the syllabus and are not listed in the course material list.

I think having a lot of props that someone might lose, forget and have to cart might take away rather than add.

But I'm a real lazy toad!!

Eamonn.

Our TG had several notebooks with his presentations set up as a deskside sales pitch for patrol presentations.

PROBLEMS!!!!

1) The bloody plastic of the document protector created substantial glare ... especially if you were more than 10 degrees off the perpendicular of the notebook.

2) BSA's "woodbadge" background is NOT conducive to a deskside pitch. Better to delete the background and show the pitch in good old black and white.

John

A Good old Owl

Hi all

Our troop guides also stay with the Patrols for all the presentations for the same reasons as you stated Eamonn. I also am asking that our troop guides try to explain the point of each presentation on one sentence. Im trying to get them to study the context of the subject while they practice the presentation so they understand its purpose within the context of other presentations.

I wasn't really thinking about the media so much as visual aids. One example our course director gave is the Communication presentation with two small plastic toy scouts or figurines, don't know where he got them. But he set the toy scouts facing each other, then he stacks a toy block or Lego blocks between the toy scouts as he talks about those things that hinder or black good communication. Then as the he listed good habits of communication, he remove the blocks eventually leaving no blocks between the toy scouts, which represent no blocks to good communication. That is an example of the types of props I'm talking about.

Now, I'm more of a storyteller in my presentations. I don't like to read the text strait from the book, but some are very good at it. I like to give verbal examples that help explain the intent of the subject. Props and reading text are just not my style. But it works for some folks, so a a couple of our Troop Guides were asking for other ideas. I am open to all presentation ideas if it will help a TG feel more confident. What Im trying to do is get the TGs to find a style the fits with their personality. My hope is that it will help the present the material with more confidence.

Keep it coming and thanks.

Have a great week.

Barry