In another thread, SueM wrote:

One of the main issue that I hear from our District Training Coordinator (who is also our Wood Badge Association president) is that most Cub Scouters who come through the program never get a real chance to USE the training in the Cub Scouting program because by the time they take it, their sons are usually Webelos and so they move on to the troop level with their expertise..great for troops, but it leaves Cub Scouts lacking.

I figure this questions gets asked quite a bit, but how long do you think somebody should be involved with their unit before taking WB? I am starting to consider taking the class and I want to ensure that I get the most out of the training possible. However, I have been registered as a leader for less than 1 year officially. I was very involved in my son's Tiger Cub den last year (basically like an unregistered assistant den leader), so my experience level is more like 2 years, all at the Cub level. Do you feel that is a good foundation for the class, or should I hold off another year or so?

Thanks for the input.

Kurt

Kurt,

Don't hesitate...DO it! This is exactly where you want to jump into things and get a solid base to build on. I think that everyone feels in the beginning that you are "not ready yet" but don't worry about that, you are more ready than you actually think you are, and you are exactly what is needed/wanted for the Cub Scout side..a Wood Badger who has several years still to contribute to the Pack! Be aware that you will need to take the Cub Scout training before you can go to Wood Badge..that is, if you are registered as a committee member, you need to go through New Leader Essential and the Cub Scout Committee Challenge (or what ever is appropriate for your registered position) and that when you design your ticket, that your goal should be designed around that position within the pack, so start looking around and see what you would like to improve/contribute to the betterment of you pack and DO IT!!! If the cost is a factor, check with your local council and see if you have a WB Association who can help with the fee..I can't say it enough times though...DO IT..DO IT...DO IT!!! (and incidentally..it'll be the most fun that you will ever have as an adult scouter!!)

Sue M.

(This message has been edited by SueM)

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I am meeting with our district exec later this week, and I will be checking with him about the cost, and when the next training is happening in our area.

SueM - the basic training is not an issue. I am registered as the ACM for our pack, and have been through the basic training for the CM position (as well as the Den Leader position). I am filling in for my sons Wolf den until we can find an adult to step up and fill the position - which will happen after the holidays, but that is another topic entirely. :)

I am only now starting on my 3rd year of Cubs and just finished the practical part of woodbadge. I am now working my ticket. In my opinion now was the best time for me. My time before Woodbadge gave me a chance to make some mistakes and to learn somethings on my own. I also had time to complete all the other training and attend University of Scouting and Day Camp School. It is still early enough (eldest is a bear youngest will be a tiger next year) for me to use it in Cubs. I learned alot (both before and after). I would say go for it.

Kristi

I used to be an Eagle

SR725

I participated in the Wood Badge course when I was a Cubmaster (after 3 years of being a den leader), and prior to signing up, I thought maybe it was "too early" for me. Boy was I WRONG!!! Do it! You won't be sorry and down the road you might even want to be on WB staff!

Ditto all the above comments -- Most fun you'll ever have!

Bolo

Let me encourage you to sign up immediately! Why look, I have a registration form right here in my hand. Look, I have a pin in my other hand. I'll be happy to take your deposit check and hand it in with the form at the council office. Of course, You will have to come to Oklahoma to attend the course where I will be a Troop Guide in Fall 2006. ;)

Seriously, there is no reason to wait. I took WB in Fall 2003 when I was the Pack Committee Chair for less than a year. My son was a Webelos, so the Pack got very little benefit from my taking the course since we crossed over the following Spring. Do it. You'll be glad you did.