Are we spending too much time on leadership?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When your position is Committee Member all you need is NLE and Troop Committee Challenge. You get no Troop Program instruction, no outdoor instruction, No instruction related to delivering program or working with young boys. What you do have is a set of WOODBADGE BEADS, which says you are as trained as anyone else with woodbadge beads. Problem is it's not the same training.

LongHaul

True . . . for the most part. Partly an internal issue; listed committee members who function primarily as ASMs, but use the committee position title so that it's not necessary to go through the SM/ASM training track.

The other part is a take-off on my post above. Committee members who suddenly discover the wonders of Woodbadge after many years in scouting, then arrange or "abbreviated" specially arranged training classes to qualify for Woodbadge ("Damn the torpedoes . . .", let's jump straight to the top-tier leadership stuff). Youth protection? Essentials? Position-specific? Not until "getting the card" became critical for something else. And it's not just our unit. But that's fodder for another thread.

I've got a feeling that National is probably sticklers when it comes to WB standards, but I could be wrong. I'm sure there are some councils out there who will cut corners. Here is a web page from our council that spells out the REQUIRED courses prior to attending WB.

http://www.lastfrontiercouncil.org/wb_prereq_jan2002.htm

I'm well acquainted with our district training chair since he is also our SM. There are no specially designed abbreviated classes to get people to WB. I'll be serving on WB staff in the fall of 2006 and I can tell you that our council takes ALL training serious and we cross our T's and dot our I's. As much as we want to fill the course, if you don't qualify, you don't go.

SR540BEAVER,

The IOLS portion is only recommended for most positions, it is not required.

Eagle74,

Listing members as ASM's instead of Committee members gets you in a bind when it comes to BOR's where SM's and ASM's are not supposed to sit. Having me Activities Chair at every meeting and on every outing means he is doing an ASM's job but he can also

"technically" do BOR's. I find it much more efficient to have a full committee some of whom serve as ASM's. This way the committee jobs are assigned and the ASM's job becomes a fill in for whom ever is around.

LongHaul