$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.........

"Yugo or Mercedes, either way the youth benefits. Money shouldn't be an issue."

The youth may benefit to some degree with the Yugo method but along the way the learns more bad things than good. What's he learn? Look for the easy way. Don't worry about doing it right. Requirements are for others. The goal of Scouting is an Eagle. Advancement is the most important thing.

Money is always an issue....parents, as well as units have budgets.

Unit Leaders (volunteers) often have limited resources in both time, and money. Can one not put a dollar value on the time that Unit Leaders sacrafice away from labors that could generate more money for them, and their families?

Are Eagle Mills more for the ego, or do they serve as a means to cut cost for cash strapped units (or units with poor budget controls)?

The only cost to become an Eagle Scout (except scout spirt) depends on the traditions of the troop and what parents choose to spend. For example, in our troop we have camperships for all fees for low income famlies. All we ask is that the scout be active in troop activities. One family may spend several hundred over the 5 years on the trail to eagle while another will spend many thousands. One scout stands with his trail worn old uniform at his pot luck Eagle Court of Honor while another has a crisp new uniform at his catered Court of Honor. Both scouts will be just as proud of their acheivment.

"The youth may benefit to some degree with the Yugo method but along the way the learns more bad things than good. What's he learn? Look for the easy way. Don't worry about doing it right. Requirements are for others. The goal of Scouting is an Eagle. Advancement is the most important thing."

Using the Yugo method they can learn the meaning of thrifty, using your resources, etc. Costlier isn't always better.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, I believe hour collegue yaworski means by his comments of Yugo and Mercedes that to him Yugo means cutting things as close to the minimum and still do it. Only taking the easiest merit badges he can find for his electives and dedicating himself to finding the easiest merit badge counselors possible for all badges. The Yugo Eagle rarely challengers himself and always stays in his own comfort zone, and learns how to manipulate the system.

The Mercedes Eagle does challenge himself and strives to improve himself by answering challenges and doing his dead level best, not just what will do.

If I am wrong Yaworski, feel free to castigate me with extreme prejudice.

Lets see, some totals:

Uniform and parts for 7 years $120.00

Hiking Boots $75.00

Outdoor Clothing $100.00

21 merit badge book at 2 ea $42.00

Registration and Dues at 20.00

a year for 7 years $140.00

"Decent" sleeping bag $80.00

Tent $50.00

Misc Gear $100.00

Summer Camp at $275 a yr for $1675.00

6 years

One High Adventure trip

(At least one) $1000.00

Knowing you will always be an Eagle PRICELESS

Sounds like a deal to me!

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

"If I am wrong Yaworski, feel free to castigate me with extreme prejudice. "

I didn't make the orignal comments about Yugos but that's the way that I read it and how I based my follow up comments. Yugos are crappy quality at best.

If you wanted a car based analogy for price, let's try Chevys and Cadillacs. Similar engineering and manufacturing quality, one just has more expensive appointments.

Le Voyageur asked

"Are Eagle Mills more for the ego, or do they serve as a means to cut cost for cash strapped units (or units with poor budget controls)?"

I'd say that they are for the ego, for people who think that advancement is the aim of Scouting and not one of the methods.

I've had some conversations with Scoutmasters from economically disadvantaged units (DC does have some poor areas). They rarely mention how many Eagles they've graduated. What they talk about is how the boy stay out of trouble, take pride in their units, do better in school, etc., etc., etc..

Out here in the 'burbs, people seem more worried about advancement. Maybe because they can afford lawyers to get their kids out of trouble.

So far, my son's Boy Scout experience has cost me about $20. Why's that? Well, he's sold enough popcorn to pay for uniforms, camping gear and summer camp.

The costs do mount up as OGE enumerated but when you have kids, the cost for anything mount up. My daughter want to take riding lessons, popcorn sales don't cover that.

Costs will vary from area to area, we only pay about $170 for a week of summer camp.

You are right about the value of a volunteer's time, it can be expensive. I've given up thousands of dollars of refereeing income to attend scout functions. Do I care? Not really? As long as I can make my mortgage payments. What about other things that I give up? Well, that's part of being a parent.

Scoutmaster Ron said:

"Boys shouldnt be pushed into advancement or a price tage even put on it."

You're right about that but for discussion purposes, knowing the cost is interesting. Much like when they compute the cost of raising a son vs. a daughter. It doesn't keep you from having kids but it does make you say, "Wow!"

As a parent of two scouts, one an Eagle the other just paperwork to get it. I do not think about the cost in dollars, I feel I am well paid back to know that I have been some sort of impact in the lives of young men and boys.

Often as leaders we put forth an identity that the boys might not have otherwise. What would be the cost of this training and exposure through a non scout system? Wouldn't even try to guess, even if such a system was possible.

I have enough grey hairs to add more by trying to figure out the cost of scouting. But every penny is worth the satisfaction of seeing a young man that you have known for over half of their lives achieve the rank of Eagle. Seeing the pride in their eyes.

By the way, I am not an advocate of Eagle mills, to create another ticket punch in life.

YIS