I have a question.

Why does woodbadge fall under the Class 3 medical form. If you read the section for class 3 in the g2ss it says "Class 3: Includes any event involving strenuous activity such as packpacking, high altitude, extreme weather conditions, cold water, e xposure, fatigue, athletic competition, adventure challenge, or remote conditions where readily available medical care cannot be assured. Examples: high-adventure activities, jamborees, Wood Badge, and extended back packing trips." Which of the above stated conditions apply to Wood Badge which would cause it to be listed?

Kristi

I am going to be a (__________?)!

SR-725

Kristi,

I would only be guessing, but

1 It is a holdover from older courses.

2 It gives the Medical Officer only one type of medical to deal with, because those of us over 40 must use the Class 3.

I never questioned why.

Could be that during you service project you work. We used pick and shovel for about an hour. We did the ground portion of the COPE course.

One Bobwhite from NE-111-162 had a heart attack on the second Sunday morning. He got to ride in an ambulance and was beaded about 10 months later.

Plus we're all gettin' old! Growing old ain't fer sissies

Have fun in your cours and keep us posted on your course.

Well, if my course was any indiciation, a significant number of the attendees are overweight, close to 40 or over, any many had little outdoor experience. I think the Class 3 gives them a little more info that may be needed in case of emergency. And yes, there are a few strenuous activities, although not anything more severe than you would find in your own yardwork.

Do they call to verify the info? I am unsure which phone number to put down on my form as my doctor has two offices and my records are only kept at one of them. I am worried they will call one office and not be able to find out what they need to know. If I give them number A (where my records would be) he won't be in on certain days, If I give them number B they wont have my records. I worry that 2 numbers may confuse them, should I make a note on the side explaining the multiple numbers so they only call the right office on the right days? Too excited about going and don't want anything to mess it up.

Kristi

I am going to be an _________(?)!!

SR-725

CajunCody:

No. "They" won't call and try to verify your info. Take a DEEP breath, hold it and slowly exhale. The medical person will only call your doctor if s/he needs additional information because of some medical problem you present with during the course. Fear not.

Wood Badge is a great experience and you are right to be excited about it, but there is nothing you should feel anxious about. You'll meet great people, work very hard and learn tons. Enjoy it.

Oh. Great signature line!

- Oren

"I used to be a Bear . . . ."

WE3-41-03

QM

WE3-41-05

Thanks for the info. (Calming down now) Silly form isn't due in till Sept and I am already fretting. Husband can't understand why I am so looking forward to a "Training session". He says I act like I am planning for a vacation. I guess it is true that "non scouters" just don't get it ;)

Funny, I am worried about the medical form and how to reach my doctor, haven't worried about the "Ticket" at all.

Kristi

I am going to be an _________(?)!!

SR-725

I'm headed to Wood Badge in a month and also am dealing with the health form.

Is a full physical required for this form?

I'm going to the doctors today and I am hoping I can get this filled out then.

If it werent for this forum, I wouldn't even know that the class 3 is required.

I've yet to receive any information, except a your signed up, about the course.

I've been in touch with the course director and Ive been told that information was coming soon but havent seen anything yet.

I would think that if a physical was required I should have been told about this 4 months ago when I sent in my deposit.

CNYScouter

It's not a full physical. If you compare the Class I/II form with the Class III form, you'll see there is very little difference. There's much more in the medical history (which you fill out yourself). The doctor has a few additional checks to make, but that's all. The effort to fill out the two are essentially the same.

Got back from the doctors visit.

Not much more to filling out from the class I/II they just need to go back through my records and get a few more things to add.

Because of the form and as I have high BP he did do a EKG to check everything was Ok. It was.

CNYScouter

Just to add to what others have said here - we definitely had some folks in questionable physical condition in our course! Some of 'em I looked at in genuine disbelief and wonder. It is physical - we backpacked (short distance) to our overnight, walked wherever we had to go (in a hurry most of the time), participated in a service project, slept in wall tents - all in 90+ degree heat for the first weekend. Lost one member of our patrol to heat exhaustion (he obviously didn't get the water lecture delivered daily by an adult at all of our troop's hot camps). All kidding aside, there are some things that contribute to heat exhaustion - blood pressure medication, antibiotics and some antidepressants being the obvious ones.

I think requiring a physical is a reasonable precaution on the BSA's part...

What a blast. I'll never forget it as one of the best experiences of my life.

Vicki (I used to be a bear)