Two years ago we didn't have Venturers on the course, but did send down some of our JLT staff for a day, as we were running both courses as weeklong the same week. This year we are going to have a Crew. They will have a Leave no Trace campsite and lead some problem solving. The second of the 2/3day wkends will start on Saturday and run til Monday. So no school will be missed.

We didn't have any Venturer youth at our woodbadge or leaders for that matter. With the exception on two instructors and an DE nobody except me had a clue about Vent. or Sea Scouting. We did however have a Tiger Cub, Junior Girl Scout, Webelos, a Tenderfoot and 1st Class scouts, and a kid wearing a Lil' Scout shirt (pre tiger age) do the Scouts Own service.

JUST FINISHED UP THE SECOND WEEKEND....

MAN AM I PUMPED!!!

Yes we had a Venture Crew with us on day 4 and 5.

They did all the fun stuff... problem solving events and hung out with each Patrol.. ate with us etc. Went home after lunch on Day 5.

It was a great opportunity for us and them. I for one learned alot about the Ventureing Program and they got to see how dedicated Scouters are about delivering a great Program.

At any rate... we all learned and had fun doing it.

It certainly helped those youngsters with their own leadership and Adult interaction.

Back to Gilwell...Happy Land...

Jerry

I used to be a BEAVER..

And a Good 'ol Beaver too...

WE1-492-1-05

• 2 months later...

I just got back from my week at Woodbadge. We had a Gilwell Crew 1 advisor on staff and a 5 person Venturing Crew of young people 17-20 years old. They arrived Tuesday and finished the week with us.

Overall their participation was a real boost to the event. I can only wonder if it will spur them on to be participants in a few years, or whether they will think they've been there, done that.

I used to be an OWL...

See, again I am confused, I thought having the Venturers on the 4th day do a run though of a Leave No Trace Campsite and assist in the problem solving activities was part of the curriculam and no one could alter the curriculum and it makes me wonder of something like WOod badge can be fooled around with, what about other training? How certain can anyone be about what is offered in a class in another State or COuncil if this is changed?

BTW, my son was on staff at the WoodBadge course I took as a Venturer Youth. Got out of High school and got service hours. The best part is whenever the WoodBadge song is sung, he gets to join in the "used to be a staffer" stanza, really shakes some people up

OGE, having only been a participant, obviously a staffer could better speak to your point. A possible explanation is that a LNT site is part of the curriculum as well as the problem solving activities but that exactly who is staffing those activities is left up to the discretion of the CD?

Just a thought,

Vicki (used to be a Bear)

I have been on staff for Woodbadge 21 Century, let's sort of review...

According to the official course guide, you should have youth Venturers on staff. They come in during the second half of course. They are really there for LNT, and any other needs that could arise (remember you have Cub Leaders, Comittee folks, etc that may have very limited camping experience, and could create problems for staff).

Yes they are on staff, no they don't wear beads, as far as them actually attending WB, I think (notice now I'm changing from what I've read to what I think) that if the invitation to them spelled out their roll, and if they understood they weren't getting the full training, the feeling of "been there, done that" is removed.

As I read, I realized that no one has weighed in that actually has a copy of the course with them. While I don't have a copy of the course in front of me, I can tell you that on the section dealing with LNT, they give the idea of having a Crew come and present this example. The Troop Guide has a lecture, and then the Crew shows how it actually works.

I am preparing to go to my Course Directors Conference in October and I know there have been some changes to the syllabus and will find them out when I go. In reading posts about the courses run in 2005, it seems that there were no changes in the syllabus this year. The syllabus out right now, states that Venture Youth should be used in the course to do the Leave No Trace campsite and can use that campsite as their own while they are on course. They can also be used for doing the round robin problem solving sessions and can help in playing the games. They would stay about a day and a half and leave before the patrols do their overnight. The youth are like guest presenters on the course. When I get back from the conference, I'll let you know about any changes.

Dancin