do we need Class III - high adventure med forms?

Our venture patrol / troop is planning a 3 day backpacking trip to the Shawnee National forest the 2nd weekend in Nov.

It is considerably warmer than home (we're at the WI / IL border) 7-8 hours south - but it is 3 days of hiking, with full packs, probably some climbing, tho not "high altitude" and the nights will probably be cold. they will camp on the trail.

Do the boys need the Class III Adult/high adventure health forms?

I think they do, some in my troop say no - only if they go to a high adventure base or BSA activity.

I'd rather be safe than sorry....

Laura

I would play it safe and require a class 3. Here is what the GTSC says:

Class 3: Includes andy event involving strenuous activity such as backpacking, high altitude, extreme weather conditions, cold water, exposure, fatigue, athletic competition, adventure challenge, or remote conditiions where readily availble medical care cannot be assured. Examples: high-adventure activities, jamborees, and extended backpacking trips in remote areas.

According to the G2SS, the BSA established minimum standards for providing medical info prior to participation in an activity. I think the Class 3 form would apply for you. I would also review the requirements for Trek Safely which mentions the Class 3 form. This will spell out other requirements for leadership, training and safety.

Here is the text from an online with changes through April 25, 2002.

"Class 3: Includes any event involving strenuous activity such as backpacking, high altitude, extreme weather conditions, cold water, exposure, fatigue, athletic competition, adventure challenge, or remote conditions where readily available medical care cannot be assured. Examples: high-adventure activities, jamborees, Wood Badge, and extended backpacking trips in remote areas. Medical information required includes current health history supported by a medical evaluation within the past 12 months performed by a licensed health-care practitioner. Form 34412 is to be used by youth for Class 3 activities. Adults age 40 or older will use this form for Class 2 and Class 3 activities. See form No. 34414, Personal Health and Medical Record, for more information."

Our troop maintains current Class III's for all of our scouts. Why make a scout parent go get another physical form filled out for high adventure, when we always do something thats high adventure. That's what the scouts want.

I agree with the other posters that Class III forms are required. Having revisited G2SS on this, there are three criteria than can be applied to the question of Class I, II, or III. These are (1) the duration of the event, (2) the strenuous or non strenuous character of the event, and (3) access to emergency medical services.

Anything that is less than 72 hours in duration, that is not strenuous, and where EMS is readily available requires only Class I.

Anything greater than 72 hours in duration (e.g., summer camp), that is not considered strenuous, and where EMS is available requires only Class II.

Anything that is strenuous and takes place away from ready access to EMS requires Class III, regardless of duration. This could apply to weekend activities.

I have required Class III for non strenuous events where I knew we would be isolated from help for an extended period of time.

Why expose yourself, the chartered organization, the unit, and everybody concerned to additional liability by not following the requirement?