Why do you have to have a WB Ceremony?

Indy_Owl - 1.)Your husband's TG: Call your course SPL and let him know whats going on. Be specific. My wife's TG was a complete nightmare. The SPL was out of the country on business most of the time this was going on, so it ended up in the course SM's lap. Follow the chain of command! She emailed her ticket work to the SM. The next day we got an email from him, "Congratulations on completing you ticket work!" Let the staff know. It's one of the reasons that they are there.

2.) Your not wanting to have a beading ceremony? Your choice, period.

"We had created a CD with information for them which included four sample tickets covering Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Venturing, and Commissioner Services. These were to be used as a sample to help the TG working with patrols in guiding them with their tickets. Also, we included a breakdown of each day and the duties of the troop guide. It made a big difference in 2004 and I think it will make a greater difference in 2006. "

This is something you should share with other WBers! See if you can get the people who run www.woodbadge.org to put this material on-line.

I know that my first time on staff (as a troop guide), that the ticket process was very frustrating for me. I had done WB under the old Boy Scout Leader WB, and so the ticket process was different. I understood it was 5 item that make up your ticket, but I was frustrated by the amound to training I was given, and would have loved to have examples for both me and my patrol.

Dancin

The course that starts in a few weeks is taking a new approach to the "WB Ticket". A ticket example will be given. I believe this will be a first. As a TG for the current course, when I heard the SM presentation it was like a Light Bulb being turned on. I finally understood. Fortuately I'm an individual that doesn't give up, even when it become at times, very hard not to throw in the towel. I did pick-up my beads - "No" ceremony. My WB patrol (those of us who have been frustrated by the "ticket" process) have decided that when we complete our "Ticket", we would go and celebrate. We understand what it took to get there! As I stated previously, I would recommend the course to any Scouter - and have done so! Each time a course is done, I'm sure it is presented slightly different. We just need to be careful that we don't let the "Old" WB creep into the "Current" WB. Good Luck to all current and future WB! Don't give up - finish your Ticket. Remember its your ticket - you decide when it's completed.

• 1 month later...

Reading through the thread again has emphasized for me the importance of training for staffers, especially the troop guides, and the importance of communication to important parties, be they troop guides, ASMs, etc. Ensuring that all staffers for a Wood Badge course are highly trained in all the areas the course covers (including communication) should be a given. Having said that, I am confident that the staff was very well prepared for my course, which was evident with all of them. There were a couple of staffers, however, who while competent, just are not very nice people. And unfortunately, no amount of training can change that unless the staff member acknowledges what might be a basic personality shortcoming, and decides to make a change.

In the case of Indy_Owl, she has decided to join a staff so she can continue the good things Wood Badge represents, while fixing up those parts that were lacking in her course. Now that is an approach that perhaps all of us should take!