I attended a beading ceremony the other night and one of the staffers involved in the ceremony and I were talking about the tartan neckerchief and the pink neckerchief. I mentioned that I thought the full tartan neckerchief was beautiful but I didn't really care for the pink one. He said that you can get a full tartan one to wear in place of the pink one. Can anyone confirm this information? If so where can you get one? Also I know a Scout Master that wears his pink neckerchief and beads everytime he wears his uniform while the rest of his troop wears purple neckerchiefs. Is that appropriate?

Hi Climber,

Every scouter that attends Woodbadge training receives the tartan troop 1 neckerchief. Once a scouter has completed his ticket, then the troop 1 neckerchief is replaced with the "pink" one along with the woggle and beads. This should have occurred at the beading ceremony you saw. You might check out http://www.woodbadge.org for more information on Woodbadge and the regalia associated with it.

SWScouter

Yes I went through woodbadge myself and understand about wearing the tartan neckerchief until you finish your ticket and get beaded. What I was told is that once you are beaded you can either wear the pink neckerchief or a tartan neckerchief.I'm assuming there's a MaClaren Tartan neckerchief without the embroidered axe/log troop 1 insignia that can be worn in place of the pink neckerchief.

I just finished the practical training of woodbadge (the six day course part) SR 702 in Mecklenburg County, NC . I was told that I was never to wear my tartan neckercheif ever again after I left Gilwell field. It was made clear that we were not to wear that neckercheif when we were given our beads. The course directors were very specific about this. People ask them if we could wear the tartan neckerchief until we got the pink neckerchief and we were told no. That neckercheif was only for when I was attending the wood badge course and was a member of Troop 1 and once I left it was to be put in a trophy case or drawer.

The McClaren Tartan Participant Necker is a participant Necker.

Just as a Cub Scout changes his neckerchief when he moves from Bears to Webelos Scouts, the Wood Badge course participant stops being a participant when he completes his ticket or fails to complete the ticket in the time allowed.

The Gilwell Neckerchief is the Necker worn by Wood Badge Scouter's world wide. The Participant necker is only used by the BSA.

Eamonn.

Climber, I was told the same thing ("wear whichever one you like"), but that was after completing the course and receiving my beads. During the course (and working our tickets) we were encouraged to wear the tartan neckerchief whenever we were in uniform. Of course we all did. It's an easy way of spotting other Woodbadge "candidates" as well as a great conversation starter.

All that said, I believe Eamonn is on target, the tartan is retired once you receive your beads (or don't). After that it's your troop neckerchief or the "pink" one. I wear my troop neckerchief at the weekly meetings and save my "pink" one for special occasions such as courts of honor, Woodbadge ceremonies, etc.

Ive never heard of a full tartan neckerchief option, but I did learn that as Woodbadgers we are eligible to become associate members of the Clan McClaren Society of North America: http://www.clanmaclarenna.org/ . Follow the link on their menu for The Scouting Connection and youll find information about joining and a link for the application. It costs $10 per year.

Another tidbit found on that site is that the CMSNA will provide congratulatory certificates to Eagle Scouts and will do so retroactively. The recommendation must come from a member, and Im not sure if our associate member status would permit this, but I pass it along in case anyone is interested.

Very interesting. Our participant neckerchief was solid green with the axe-and-log - no sign of tartan to it anywhere...it was to be retired once we got the taupe neckerchief (it just looks pink:

Vicki, Tis was the Wood Badge participant necker pre 21st Century sylabus. Our CD and Guide said wear the participant necker all you want until you are beaded, then you can wear the taupe necker when you like but highly reccommended only for special occasions.

We're the CANalopes not the CANTalopes.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks ehcalum. To answer the other question in the e-mail - my understanding is that if your troop wears neckerchiefs (mine doesn't) you wear the troop neckerchief unless it's a ceremonial occasion like a COH, then it's the taupe.

I went out on the web and a couple of the websites I found said the same thing.

Vicki

ehcalum

There is no restriction to wearing the complete regalia, only that the woggle is not to be worn with any other neckerchief than the Tartan Neckerchief. Beads may be worn alone on the Class A uniform and should be placed over any other awards or recognitions which are neck-worn.

I wear my full regalia whenever I feel it is appropriate, especially when there is the potential for promoting Wood Badge to new or other leaders who have not had the opportunity or who are not aware of the training.

You should not feel apprehensive about wearing the scarf, woggle, and beads. You should err on the side of promoting Wood Badge.

Eagle-Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

Last week I completed the first weekend of my Wood Badge Course...

This question came up and our Course Director/ Scoutmaster stood in front of the whole Troop and said that the "Official" policy on the wear of the Troop 1 Neckerchief is that we as Wood Badge Participants are allowed to wear it whenever we are in the Field Uniform until we are awarded our Wood Badge regalia (Neckerchief, woggle, and beads). He said that we should check with our Troop committees if a Troop neckerchief is worn, but other than that, until next year when we complete our tickets... we can wear it whenever and wherever while in uniform.

I wore mine to my Troop meeting the other night and the Scouts were full of questions... sparked some real interest. I told them that it meant that I was working hard to make the Troop better for them.

I also explained my Ticket and what role they had as a part of it.

Jerry

• 2 months later...

What an interesting discussion, i have served on staff for the 21st cent wb a couple of times. Staff have been encouraged to wear the tartan scarf to promote the course - not with the beads or the WB woggle. The taupe scarf is international worn by woodbadgers around the world. In some countries the wb woggle can be worn with other scarves before the full wb regalia is worn. I have particpated in wb in two countries its slightly different in each. Not sure why you cant wear the tartan scarf as long as you dont wear the wb beads and woggle with it. I thought we were always a member of troop 1 Gilwell.

PS I am am a part Scot and think that anyone wearing a tartan with repsect and pride can only enhance its value. I am certain BP would turn in his grave that we make so many rules that serve no useful purpose. Scouting is a game with a purpose.

Cymru

Although I tend to agree, that placing too many restrictions on the wearing of certain insignia is counter productive to the intent of the award, I am somewhat of a stickler for policy on how the Wood Badge regalia is to be worn.

Here is the most official word on the wearing of the Wood Badge regalia from the BSA that I have found.

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/wbneck.htm

Eagle Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Our group was told that the tartan neckerchief was not to be worn after completing the classroom part of the course save for the beading ceremony when the presenter removes it and replaces it with the taupe WB neckerchief.

I roll my taupe neckerchief with the "ears" at the ends turned so that the darker pink color is seen. Several people, both in and out of scouting have made favorable comments about how pretty it is. My tartan neckerchief now occupies a place of honour (top of the pile of other neckerchiefs) in my sock drawer. I get to look at it every morning. Great way to start the day.

I'm familiar with the tartan candidate neckerchief with the number 1 on the back, but also have seen the wool tartan neckerchief that our instructors and counselors wore. They wear them everytime they wear the so-called class A. Maybe it was a thing in my council only. I wish there was a place locally to purchase the wool McLaren tartan cloth. Anybody know a place?