I just found this tidbit of information regarding the tartan neckerchief.

"Originally then entire neckerchief was the wool Maclaren tartan. Within 2 years they just used a small square of the tartan on each neckerchief to save money."

If anyone knows where a person can buy one of these please let us know. I originally wanted one just because I thought it was nicer looking than the "pink/beige" neckerchief but now that I know that it was the original neckerchief worn, that puts a whole new spin on it!

Climber,

Actually, I think the wool neckers the WB staff wore in our council was from tartan that the council came up with somehow. There was nothing official about it, but they looked great. We still have to remember the "Thrifty" in the law, and that little swatch can remind us of that. I really want to persue getting a kilt made of MacLaren tartan. I think it would look great with the class A shirt and high socks for WB ceremonies or attending highland games. By the way, I have joined the Clan MacLaren Society of North America and can officially wear the tartan.

The BSA 2005 Insignia Guide provides official guidance on the wear of Wood Badge regalia on pages 31 and 38:

"Wood Badge slide or Woggle. No. 02173, trained Scouter with Wood Badge Neckerchief, necklace with two beads, No. 02175; three beads No. 02176; four beads, No. 02177; worn under the Wood Badge neckerchief, and over the ends below the woggle, with the official field uniform; Wood Badge beads are not worn on civilian clothes dress blazer uniform, or with a T-shirt. Wood Badge beads may be worn with a neckerchief or alone."

There are illustrations of the simulated MacLaren Tartan WoodBadge Troop 1 neckerchief, No. 02209. and Wood Badge tartan neckerchief, No. 02213 (This is the "Tan, Taupe, or Pink" neckerchief with the little patch of MacLaren Tartan on the apex).

To me, this is very clear. The Wood Badge Troop 1 neckerchief, No. 02209 is to be worn only while a member of "Troop 1" which in the USA, all Wood Badge candidates are a part of when in the practical part of the course and while "working the ticket". Candidates traditionally tie their own turks head "woggle of cord at the beginning of the course and wear that with this neckerchief. The previous Wood Badge Troop one necerkchief was of solid dark green color.

The staff of my Wood Badge course, wore their Wood Badge neckerchiefs, Woggle and Beads.

Upon successful completion of the course, including completion of the ticket to the satisfaction of the candidate and his/her Troop Guide, the Wood Badge neckerchief, No. 02213, the Wood Badge Woggle, No. 02173, and Wood Badge Beads, No. 02175 are awarded and the Wood Badge Troop 1 neckerchief is no longer worn as the Scouter is no longer a member of "Wood Badge Troop 1".

To me it is also clear that the Wood Badge Woggle is worn ONLY with the Wood Badge neckerchief and with no other, and the beads are worn as indicated above. Although I have seen Scouters wearing the Wood Badge Woggle and beads with other neckerchiefs such as the unit neckerchief. and I have seen the beads worn with T-Shirts, the BSA dress blazer, civilian clothes, etc.

The Wood Badge neckerhief is usually described as Dove Gray, with a Sunrise Red liner (underside)(which I have been told is made only in the UK). I too have read that originally there was no Wood Badge neckerchief but in the UK, one was developed made entirely of MacLaren Tartan. But due to the cost of it, the Tan or Dove Grey neckerchief with the small patch of MacLaren Tartan on the apex was made the official Wood Badge neckerchief - world-wide. While the courses are slightly different in different countries, the courses seem to be similar.

I have a friend in the UK who tells me that they wear their Wood Badge beads with their unit neckerchiefs for ordinary wear and wear the official Wood Badge neckerchief only for special occasions. I am not sure if that is official or just the way they do it. Apparently the Wood Badge Troop 1 neckerchief is worn only by Wood Badge candidates in the US.

I usually wear my Wood Badge neckerchief, beads and woggle only for Wood Badge beadings, Courts of Honor, etc. But I usually always wear my Wood Badge beads with my official field uniform without the neckerchief. On a few occasions, I wear our Troop neckerchief, but without Wood Badge bead or Woggle.

There may be some other "official" rules for Wood Badge regalia, but that is what I found in the 2004 Insignia Guide.

This is an interesting discussion. I think much of the confusion can be traced to local traditions and rule inerpretations. For example, I haven't found any reference to wearing WB beads with bolo ties. I see it done quite often but does anyone know of an official guideline?

DTop,

I have not found anything that prohibits the wear of Wood Badge beads with a bolo tie.

I have never worn the two together so I tried it an looked in the mirror and found that at least in my opinion it looks a bit strange. So I don't think I will wear the two together.

"I have not found anything that prohibits the wear of Wood Badge beads with a bolo tie.

I have never worn the two together so I tried it an looked in the mirror and found that at least in my opinion it looks a bit strange. So I don't think I will wear the two together. "

Ditto.

For years as a youth and adult, I wore bolo ties rather then neckerchiefs with my uniform. Once I got my beads, I stopped wearing bolo ties and pretty much exclusively wear my WB beads along with my lodge beads & vigil triangle.