small gift for troop guide and ticket counselor

What to get?

He is a man in his early to mid fifties. Has 4 older children, the two boys were scouts but they are now in college. Has a younger adopted son with some challenges. The younger son is just beginning Cub Scouts?

Any small tasteful ideas?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

I would say that he "UZ2BNOWL". Have you put that on your license plate?

I think gifts that relate to your patrol emblem are the most special. We gave our troop guide a mounted pair of antelope horns. We printed the course patch, and patrol information on the plaque and signed the back. I think he was quite moved. And, it was only about $5 a person.

Hi,

I have been a Patrol Guide twice. First time my patrol gave me their patrol flag stavem (that was too much, but I didn't want to give it back to them... They were being way to generous) As they have received their beads I have brought the stave with me and they get a smile out of it. Second patrol gave me a Norman Rockwell reprint (from Scout Cat.) They all signed the back. It's not one of the HUGE prints, just a little something. I had it framed, and it's in my office. I enjoy it. It works well for me.

You need to do the hard part... Find out from your guide what they like and what they think is too much. I appreciate the thoughtfulness both times, I appreciate the memories. I like the fact that when I walk down the street people stop and thank me... That means alot more to me that lots of other things.

I was very lucky to have a patrol mate who was a fantastic wood worker. As our patrol totem, we designed (and he made) a totem with our course name, a Bear paw print in the middle with the initials of three patrol members to the right and three to the left of the paw print. On top, in the place of honor, were the initials of our troop guide. Of course, we made a token for him too. He was a unique individual. He was asked to become a SM soon after he reached Eagle! Not too many Scoutmasters in their early twenties! By the time he was our WB TG, he had been an adult Scouter for close to 50 years.

P.S. Another gift you can give him is to complete your ticket.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Read that you'd made a decision, but thought I'd throw this out there for those who come after - we found a conservation effort related to the Northern Bob White and made a donation. Gave him a certificate with a picture of a bobwhite and our patrol flag, we all signed it, bought a relatively inexpensive frame. This may have been going over the top, but one of our members also found a really neat trinket box with a bear on the top so we gave him that too. He and his wife are both very serious about conservation (as are so many Scouters) - he was touched.

Vicki