Scouting skills. Whats important?

Adventure is the first thing talked about in the Boy Scout Handbook. I think the promise of adventure and the idea that they will be doing something new and exciting is the draw for boys to become Scouts. Its our responsibility to keep them excited and to arm them with knowledge so that these adventures are positive experiences. The program is designed to do that. We slip this knowledge in when they are not looking.

Doug

Underlying all of the rote skills is an attitude...

Aside from the citizenship aspects we're trying to build a young man who is self-reliant but knows when to ask for assistance; that is willing to say 'I don't know' because he is confident of his ability to learn and move forward; that is able to work with those older and younger than himself; that is able to teach as well as learn.

Good one Yaworski, makes me wonder how many here know what a ghillie suit is. :-)

The title of the thread was Scouting skills, not "scouting attitude" which are really separate things.

If you want to talk about attitude let's ask for

Scouts that listen to those who may actually know more.

Scouts that don't whine and work through adversity.

Scouts that are willing to take on challenges because of what success will bring them.

Scouts that say, "that's the easy way out. I'd rather do it the right way."

If it is physical skills, I'd like to see walking made a priority. Why walking? Most kids don't walk much today and to make matters worse, they wear shoes that are horrible for walking. I see kids going on hikes that have terrible motion when they walk. They clomp, they plod, their arms hang listlessly by their sides. After a few miles they complain about their feet? Why? Because they aren't using their bodies properly when they walk.

I think the most important physical skill a scout can have is the ability to stay "found". He can read a map, work a compass, knows landmarks that tell him when he is off track. Knows how to make a fire and a shelter and knows that staying put is the smartest thing he can do when he is a bit bewildered.

It ain't spelling!

For a new scout, the most important skill to learn is basic organizational skills, what he needs to bring to camp-outs, how to plan meals, etc.

For a "seasoned" scout, the most important skill to learn is leadership.

While extremely important, I don't put character, attitude, citizenship, etc. in the skill category.

It's a very broad question to try to give a specific answer to.

Within what period of time?

1st troop meeting; He is among friends and fellow scouts. We expect him to be treated in a scout like manner and we expect him to treat others the same way. We are happy to have him in the troop and we want his input in the things we do.

1st month: How to prepare for a campout, pitch a tent, make a comfortable bed, plan and cook a simple meal, indentify poison plants, the buddy system, fire safety, knife/ax/saw safety, basic first aid.

Excellent! This question was posed by a new adult in our troop. Eagle74 I will give your list to the PLC. Bob White no time frame, just skills,etc. The rest thanks and keep them coming I hope to put your responses into a basic scouting handout for the troop and parents.

YIS