21st Century Wood Badge Participants- Reflection

Hi Fred,

I am sad that the course didn't meet your expectations.

I do think that things are getting better, we now have a lot more Cub Scouter's taking and Staffing the courses. They bring a different slant to the course.

The first new course I staffed was very much an new course with old Boy Scout Staffers. While they/we did stick to the syllabus, there seemed to be a lack of understanding.

Here is where I have to Duck!!

I think that because there is so many more adults in our Packs that a Leadership course is more needed than it is in our Boy Scout Troops.

If you ever get the chance try and watch the video about the new course. IMHO, I think that the team that put the new course together were trying to preserve some of the things from the old courses, mainly the Boy Scout course. The new course in the UK no longer uses Patrols, which of course means people are not going around saying I used to be a whatever. In some ways this is good - When I first took the course back in the very early 70's, at Gilwell Park there was no singing except at the campfire. I was a very proud member of the Cook coo Patrol. My so called friends on this side of the pond take great delight seeing me having to get up and sing a solo when we do the Back To Gilwell. When possible I try to just sing with the Bears, as I was in the Bear Den at NECS58.

It might have been possible to present the new course, without using Patrols and Program names, as they have done in the UK. I can't help thinking that this might have upset a lot of people.

I think I have posted about my going to lunch with the Director of Communications at Gilwell Park a couple of years ago. He said that at a Gilwell Reunion (Something everyone who can afford it should try and attend!!) He was between two guys, one from Japan and one from the USA. At the campfire they sang Back To Gilwell, these two had tears in their eyes and the English people present didn't know the words.

I feel sure that you will be selected to staff a course in the very near future and you will be able to add the Cub Scout prospective.

Eamonn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got notification today that my ticket was accepted - beading will be sometime in May. Woo-Hoo!!

I think for me, the best part of the course was the ticket. I know it's the part everyone dreads, but it's actually a chance to put into practice all the stuff you've learned.

Someone said that the leadership stuff was "old hat" - maybe, I've had similar training before too; the problem is with the other training at work after the course is done you take your binder and sit iton the shelf. With WB, you USE IT.

The camping, etc was fun of course, and so was meeting so many great people along the way. I'm glad I did it; it was hard work, but I learned a whole lot.

Mike

"I used to be a Bob White, a good old Bob white, too..."

NE-156

Just got back from my first weekend last night and had a great time. I thought the course contained a good balance of theoretical management/leadership material and practical BSA information that I would expect in an advanced Scouter training course. Based largely on what I've read here over the years, I expected it to be mostly management training, but that wasn't the case.

I thought Win All You Can was a hoot. My patrol figured it out early and tried to get the other patrols to work together. But they didn't get it and kept voting against us. We really took a beating, but stuck to our guns. At the next break we finally got the others to understand the game. The other team of patrols never did figure it out. The guy running the game really did a great job. Several people got really upset by the whole thing.

While I give high marks to both the course and our staff, there are a few things I would tweak:

First of all, I'll second several of the comments others have made. I thought the program was tilted heavily toward Boy Scouts and very little material directed at Cub. (Probably 40% of our class are Cubbers). I can only imagine that will be a worse problem with the outdoor experience next time.

Although I enjoyed October Sky and thought it was a good addition to the course, Sunday afternoon was the wrong time for it. Maybe Saturday night? I would have liked to have seen more of Remember the Titans, too.

Schedule wise, I'd like to have the patrol meeting times more concentrated. Seems like we never had more that about 15-20 minutes at a time. If all the patrol times were combined into one longer block, we could have gotten much more done.

One thing that could come from National which would be beneficial would be a good workbook. The loose-leaf notebook we received only contained words to the songs, scripts for the ceremonies and things like that. There really was no rhyme or reason to the handouts we received which seemed to depend on the individual presenter. A workbook with a great deal more written material supporting and/or repeating the info we are hearing would be a great addition. It could be organized around the five elements -- values, tools of the trade, etc. -- and should include lots of room for notes. Because of the way the syllabus jumped from one topic to another, I found it difficult to try and keep my information organized.

I haven't been sold on the value of the project just yet. I understand that it's a team building exercise, but the topics are so wide open, it seems somewhat like group busy work. It seems to me we are taking subjects we already have a good deal of expertise in and doing a report on them. If the topics were more closly controlled, or maybe if we were given case studies to work on (like we have at camp school) the projects would be more instructional.

TCD

A good ol' Antelope too!

The best part were the staff and participants, the people made the course. The dedication and comaraderie made it the most enjoyable training I've ever been through. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend the course to all.

As for the course material, the best part was the hands on experiences. Theory just goes so far. Least favorite was the planning for the service project, to many chiefs not enough indians at first. Yet, in the end all was pulled off.

Writing my ticket was a challenge to make it a worhtwhile effort and attainable at the same time. I liked the Diversity aspect of it. I feel that added extra value to the ticket.

Overall, I had fun and learned a great deal from other scouters and about myself. Some day I would like to help staff a course, if just to help one other scouter.

"I used to be a Bobwhite "

C-03-04

Thanks to John, Dave and Pamella.

Bryan

I just got back from my first weekend. Had a great time learned a lot and thought it was excellent training.

But (there is always a but) something has come to light since then that has me very concerned about the whole program. A friend of mine also attended the course. He is a great Scouter who has given a lot to our program and district. He is currently serving as our Unit Commissioner, helping reorganize our OA Chapter, and stepped in briefly as our Cubmaster when ours left to tide us over while we searched out another. And has all in all gone above and beyond.

He has also fallen on hard times in the last couple of years. Divorced, he was down sized from a highly technical job and has had a very difficult time finding a job. He has recently been substitute teaching math at an inner city school he calls the combat zone. (Again giving back to troubled youth). Prior to going to Wood Badge he had applied for a District Executive position in another District but the same Council. The perfect job for him.

During Wood Badge an incident occurred that we both laughed of at the time. Part of the patrol responsibilities was for the designated patrol to carry for a day a symbol of service, in this case a small shovel, to represent their responsibility for that day. They were instructed to keep it with them at all time and keep it warm and safe and dry. My friends patrol had had custody of the shovel the day before and had with great ceremonial flair passed it on to another acquaintance of his in a different patrol that morning at Flag Ceremony. At lunch he noticed that the shovel had been carelessly left on a side table some distance from them. He barrowed the shovel, walked around the room a few times with and when no one noticed ask his buddy to who it was charged where his shovel was. After as few seconds of melodramatic panic he return the shove to its caretaker. This was all done in somewhat childish good fun by those directly involved.

However, (there is always a however too) the Troop Guide for the offended patrol and the SPL seemed to blow this all out of proportion and counseled my friend on the first scout law over the matter. That evening we played Win All You Can and this incident seemed to pail in light of this bit of organized manipulation. It got intense but we got the point and I thought it was a very innovative and impressive exercise.

When we got home my friend got a call saying he had the DE job, and all that was left to do was to complete a final interview with the Council Executive and that was just a formally. He was ecstatic and we were all very happy for him.

He got another call last night and was told that because of the Shovel Incident at Wood Badge he was not to bother coming in for the CE interview and that he could forget about ever having a paid job in our council. He was crushed and his friends are all flabbergasted. He is not going to finish Wood Badge and will most likely drop out of scouting all together.

My only concern before starting Wood Badge was the impression by, many non Wood Badgers, that those with beads are an arrogant and stuck-up click. I may be nave but could not image this to be so in Boy Scouts. It is looking to be true of at lest some.

Is this what we want to teach as leadership? Is this the example the Wood Badge Staff and Council wants to set?

I am sure there are two sides to this story as there always are but I am confused and frustrated. In this day when BSA is constantly under fire, they have succeeded in running off a very valuable asset. They have kicked a dedicated committed volunteer when he was down in a most cruel manor. I am having trouble seeing how this is living the Scout Oath and Law or does this just not apply to those of us who volunteer.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me vent!

What a sad and unfortunate incident.

I agree the TG and SPL appeared to have blown this all out of proportion (based on the facts as you state them). Based on my own experience in SR-552, we could never really tell when the staff wanted us to get rambunctious, or when they wanted us to get serious, so we too had minor incidents when we were told to tone it down, or to pick it up. You never really knew because it seems like the staff's job was to keep us guessing all the time.

I will pray for your friend and hope that the SE wises up and changes his mind. What a pity to lose such a dedicated Scouter.

We had a similar incident two weekends ago during the 1st phase of the course, and except for the individual that let the shovel unattended everyone thought that it was a learning experence. By this I mean all of our Scouts will misplace things and hoiw we handle it can mean alot as to for the individual Scouts see how we a the Adult leaders handle the situation. We all thought that this was a good learning experence. Unless you are the end of having to acknowledge that you lost or misplaced something, you do not know how it feels, and you should learn from the experence, it seems that this was deffenetly NOT a learning experence. I am deeply sorry for both your friend and you.

Robert L. DeWitt

WEBELOS II Den Leader

Pack 49 Den 1

WEBELOS to Scouts Chair

Ogeechee District

ASM Troop 12

Chickasaw District

Georgia Carolina Council

Augusta, Ga

And a good ole Besar too

SR-691

What a shame. If I was him I would go see the council anyway and discuss the situation. At our woodbadge sr688. One patrol lost something off the shovel and another group found it. Made them sing to get it back. That did not go over well and was discussed. No big deal. But now the presedence was set so anytime anyone lost or left unattended or properly secured.....etc That patrol had to sing a song. The most popular of course was I'm a little teapot...

Well now...During our work project Bear patrol was authorized to leave the shovel at the "lodge" well the quartermaster did not know this so he made the bear patrol sing the song....lol to funny. Then when he found out they did indeed seek proper "protection" for the shovel He had to sing I'm a little teapot to make amends. Have pictures...the SM also took responsibility for not sharing info and joined in. Thought that was great.

I would want to go explain to the council what was going on. It is supposed to be a fun weekend. Like was said before much heated/hurt feelings come about witht the win all you can game. To funny. Gotta love Type A must win people.

Our patrol was so opposite from this...thus our yell

Laid Back....Waaaaay Back

I used to be a fox, a laid back fox

lynn cc

Lynncc's, experience was similar to mine.

In SR-676, (the spirit of 76) a patrol apparently forgot their patrol flag outside and another patrol found it. The Patrol that lost it came up and asked for it back. It was not returned. A few hours latter the patrol without the flag came up and made a sincere apology to the troop and promised to be more cautious with items of significance. It was then produced from behind a curtain. The SPL asked the patrol that found it if they accepted the other patrols apology and indeed they did. The end.

I can't imagine the incident you described as being anything other than some insignificant spirited melee.

I used to be a Bear....

When I took Wood Badge for the 21st Century in 2003. We Foxes "lost" our flag. We left if behind after a patrol presentation by the troop guide. After walking back to get the flag, about 15 minutes later, it was no longer tied to the dining fly. When we told the troop guide that our flag was missing, he started joking around about how we should talk better care of our "stuff" and not misplace it. And when "someone" finds it we would most likley have to sing for it. I had been quiet the whole time throughout this discussion. At this time I informed the Troop Guide that I would not be singing for the patrol flag. The troop guide asked me if I could not sing. I told him that was besides the point. I asked him if he thought we should be showing these leaders that singing for lost items was scout like? He did not have an answer. I informed him that if we got called up to sing I would be standing with my patrol but with my back to everyone. The patrol flag was returned about 2 hours later by the troop guide. The troop guide was amazed that I took a stand on this. Of course I was not really that quiet while I was explaining my thoughts with him, It was in front of the entire troop. I hear that I caused quite a conservation for the staff. Needless to say I was very disappointed that the premier training for Scout leaders, encouraged singing for lost items, and encouraged other patrols to borrow items.

Oh Well, as my wife says its only Scouts.

Singing for your patrol flag supports which part of the Scout Law?

I think if you made a regular Boy Scout patrol sing for their lost flag, it might be considered hazing, which is disallowed under the G2SS.

I don't know if WB21C is trying to explicitly teach the patrol method, but since it uses the patrol method, I would think the same G2SS policies would apply, meaning no hazing, even in a training environment?

Fred Goodwin

SR-552

"I used to be an Owl . . ."