Training - Responsibilty & Adults Who are Scared of Them

Some adults have no problem getting the training and accepting the responsibility. Others run from it.

Example:

If the safe swim course is offered in a ten minute online course, and we have a campout next to a large body of water, why wouldn't the adults (not just guys in tan shirts) take the course. Why won't some of the leaders take the online course?

I suspect two reasons

1) Because if they don't know, then they didn't break any rules

2) Because they don't want to be held responsible for kids that are not their own.

What say you?

I think SP got it right! Most of these "adults" probably feel they have "too much to do already" and do not want to take on any more responsibility. We have this happen all the time - adults whine about the way an event or fundraiser is ran, but try to get them to do it next time and they turn tail and run!

Did we ask them?

How did we ask them?

Do they hear us moaning and groaning about all the time we spent? Isn't that enough to make any sane person not want to volunteer?

Ten minutes on line is fine and dandy. Doing it for the first time with one of the tan shirts adds confidence.

Eamonn.

Perhaps I'm an optimist, but I think the number one reason people don't take training is that they feel they don't need it.

How we change that incorrect perception is a matter of another topic.

Unc.

I would be happy to go to training (in fact I am trained as a Cub Scout leader). But I can't because I have no babysitter for my 4 year old. I would even register as a leader or whatever is needed in my son's new troop, all they have to do is let me know what they need. In fact, if I can find a way, I am going to go to basic adult leader training this weekend.

Katrina(This message has been edited by kittle)

Maybe its that "1hr a week" slogan.

Just like in college you are supposed to study for 2-3 hours for every classroom hr, it seems I have to spend 2-3 hrs a week for every 1hr of face-to-face time with the boys.

I understand that the training may help me. I understand that the pack/troop needs to have a min number of trained leaders to earn various unit awards.

Scouts is a volunteer organization but quickly becomes a part time job that takes over your life. More training fills my bag of tricks but it also requires more of my time that I would also like to spend with my family.

My reason tends to be not enough hours in a day to accomplish all the things I would like to.

I think it's about doing the bare minimum. Many leaders exist by doing only the bare minimum. One excuse for getting away with it is that they are not trained.

This falls squarely into that category. "If I don't get trained, then I don't have to be a part of a swimming event. And, if someone does go into the water and a situation develops, I can't be held responsible since I'm not trained......"

Convoluted thinking, but some people live by it.

Well Kittle,

My wife and I will sit for you if you wnat to go to training here in San Diego. :)

Seriously though, I would hazard a guess that another parent in your unit would be willing to watch your kid(s) while you are gone for a day or weekend.

Just a suggestion (for what it is worth)

I hope you made it to the Basic training.

I think resqman has given us a valid reason for not attending training.

Resq -- I understand what you're saying. I happen to be of the opinion that going to training will help you discover the resources to take your ratio of 2-3 hours of planning for 1 hour meeting time down to a ratio of 45 minutes planning (max) to 1 hour of meeting time.

I say this to be helpful -- from what I've seen, untrained leaders work very hard to have a good program for the kids they serve. However, much of their hard work has already been done and they just don't know it.

Unc.

The reasons for taking training are many. I'm guessing that many who post here have attended or presented their fair share. Each of us who have taken training has our own reason or reasons for doing so.

One thing I have found out is that most people have to be asked to do something or better still invited. Expecting people to step up doesn't work very well. Not asking is one sure way of not getting.

A lot of people are very scared that once we get them on board, we are never going to let go.

To some extent they are right.I am fairly well known for not accepting no for an answer and if I only get someone to do a one time only event, I more than lightly will be back with something else. I try really hard to pick the best time and place when I'm doing the ask. I am totally honest and don't dress things up.

While we have all come across the Leader who is only in this game for his own Lad, I like to think that over time Scouting gnaws away at him or her and over time he or she starts to get it.

I have never ever in all the time that I have been around Scouts and Scouting had anyone refuse to do something because:

Because if they don't know, then they didn't break any rules. In fact this is the first time I ever heard that.

I do know that we very often get what we deserve, if we ask expecting a "No" then we ought not be surprised when we get one.

Eamonn.

I must have been the only person who "nagged" the CM, who is also my son's DL, to get trained! I found the training schedule on-line, asked him what training classes I needed to take, if I needed to bring anything special & directions to the school I was going to take them at. I did the Youth Protection on-line & the same with the Fast Start & the CM also gave me the Fast STart video. I'm also lucky in the fact that I always have my parents to watch my 2 children.

I've even done the Webelos Outdoor Leader Training & learned a lot, I was very "knot challenged" & had a great time while learning! I also did the Council Pow Wow & learned there too! I think it's important to go to training & learn as much as you can.

Judy