How to address Scoutmaster problems

I am fairly new to this forum and have only answered a few posts, but need some advice from those far more experienced in Boy Scouts than myself. I will need to state up front that I am 22, it seems to be an issue at times with some older Scouters. I have been an assistant Scoutmaster since I turned 18 and am currently the crew Advisor for my troop's crew and a Unit Commissioner in addition to those duties. On top of that I was a youth member, earning my Arrow of Light and Eagle rank.

So here is my problem. My troop (this is not the troop I was a Scout in) went through a Scoutmaster transition two years ago this month. The last guy was a great guy, very good at inspiring the Scouts and other adults. He was what the Scoutmaster handbook says a Scoutmaster should be, but had been doing the job for 8 years. He had the committee start seeking out a new Scoutmaster and the only person who would step forward after a 6 month process was not the top candidate in the troop, but the only one willing to do the job.

It has become painfully aware that he is not able to perform the job and my troop needs to find someone else. The man is very authoritarian and a micro-manager. He does not buy into BSA policy on boy ran and the patrol method. The Scoutmaster also has shown little interest in recruitment and the only people who have stepped forward to address recruitment are myself and the committee chair. The troop rechartered with 75 Scouts 3 years ago, we recharted 51 this past year, and only crossed over 3 Webelos last Spring. The committee chair does not think we will beat our crossover number from last year at this point. Well over half the troop is 14 and older and the active membership is roughly 20 Scouts.

It is painfully clear the current status quo must change. Any input anyone in this forum could give would be much appreciated. The old Scoutmaster is a semi-active committee member still, if that helps in reaching a solution.

Light Crow

It sounds like it is time for an intervention. Get the Commmittee Chair, Unit Commissioner, Charter Org Rep, and maybe the DE together with him and discuss the situation. The need run the program the way that BSA says. He may say, "My God, you're right. Will you help me" or he may say, "Go to Hades, I'm quitting" and stomp out. Either way, your problem is solved.

Could you become the new SM?

I have told the committee chair before that I want to be a Scoutmaster eventually. I've also mentioned to a couple of committee members and other assistant Scoutmasters that I hope to be a candidate when the current Scoutmaster steps down. I have been met with positive remarks from all three of the people. I have the time, training (old Woodbadge), and experience, so hopefully eventually I will be Scoutmaster.

Lightcrow,

You are in a difficult situation. I was going to ask if this guy was trained. He is and done Wood Badge, to boot. You need to be careful not being seen as the guy trying to push him out. There are problems in this troop, but will fighting among the leaders help.

Troops often have a tough time after a SM transition. Being a scoutmaster can be a very daunting job. Look for opportunities for the boys to take charge and the troop will move in the right direction. One way to do it is to emphasize the patrol method. We ask that each patrol put on one outing a year. They need to come up with the ideas, plan it, ask for adult leadership and carry out the event. I know of a troop that only camps as a troop once a year. All of their other outing are patrol campouts.

If you can find even one other adult leader and one patrol willing to take up the challenge, you might save a troop and help a struggling scoutmaster. He needs to know that there is support for him and belief in the program.

I have worked on volunteer issues long enough to see the result of trying to force out a scoutmaster. It rarely is pretty and I would rather work to improve the situation than throw away a volunteer that may be capable of better. The patrol method really works when we allow the boys to try (and fail sometimes). I think you can make a believer out of him.

Just because this guy has taken the training courses doesn't mean he got the training objective. The Troop is to be boy run & I would get the committee involved & have them get the COR involved. From your post your Troop is on a downward spiral & that's not a good thing.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I agree with evmori, your troop is in a classic death spiral. Infighting and lack of recruitment will stop a troop fast.

The troop that I am with is just now pulling out of a spiral. Strong adult leadership and activily recruiting of several troops we are starting to fill in the lower age tiers.

Get help from the TC, COR and even consider contacting past leadership and see if they would like to help stop the spiral. That is one of the things we did and when some of the past adult leaders got involved the direction of the troop started to change and turn around.

Good luck!!!!

YIS

I wanted to thank everyone for their input up to this point. I think my next move will be to talk to the committee chair and see what his opinion is regarding the situation. I might also call the District Director for his input and sort of "so you know" phone call.

Unfortunately some of the ideas put forth don't work for my troop. We are sponsored by a PTA and our COR has the position in title only and only gets involved to sign recharter papers and new adult applications. She is a nice lady, but has no interest in any deeper level of involvement. And also our Unit Commissioner is an older gentlemen, who is so laid back, he can not see the issues in the troop as being problematic. Again, a nice guy, but really he is getting to the point of not contributing much. So again, thanks for all of your help.

Light Crow