Best Trainings at Philmont???

What are some of the best training sessions at Philmont?

Which are hard to get into and which are easiest?

I've got a week in June, the week of Fourth of July or a week or two in August when I can take off for a week of training at Philmont, with my family going.

I'm an Eagle. Went to Philmont in the late 1960s. I'm a cub leader who will be moving into boy scouting w/my boy. I'm TDC-trained, and I absolutely LOVE training myself and training others, boys and scouters.

Thoughts? Specifics?

Do tell.

I went for "strictly fo rScoutmasters" last year and got a ton out of it. Well presented and great info you can take back to your troop and council. The family programs are excellent also. Stuff for the boys and wife. mine wants to go back

Maybe cheffy will back me up on this?

For a good number of years when I owned a restaurant people would come in, sit down look at the menu and ask "Whats Good?"

I never knew the right answer.

Philmont does a good job with the conferences that they offer. In 2000 I was a District Commissioner, so I attended the conference on the Delivery of Commissioner Service. I would love to sit in on the Strictly For Scoutmasters Conference, but I am unsure if I will ever be a Scoutmaster again?

I would have liked to attend the Key 3 Conference but was never able to convince the other two thirds of the team that it was worth the time and the money.

It is a great place, the training is good, the staff are exceptional, but only you know in what direction you are heading. You need to look at the list and find what is the best fit for you.

When people asked me "What's good?" I always said the mushroom soup - I like mushroom soup.

Eamonn.

I, too, like mushroom soup!

Unlike some, however, I like it with a bit of hot sauce and a little cheese.

I'm considering scoutmaster and religious emblem training at this point.

Obviously, I have to base this decision in large part on when I can take off from work.

If there's anyone out there who has gone to Philmont for training and taken the family, I'd love to know:

-- how much free time do you have with your family?

-- how many uniforms do you need since you're there for a week?

-- is there any hiking involved for those attending training sessions?

-- do you have a months-long "training/get-in-shape" program I/my wife (never been to camp!)/my son (a 10-year-old Webelos who will be a boy scout and who loves camping) can follow between now and the mid-summer when we go?

-- a camp checklist for Philmont?

-- how to get Philmont to respond to my local council contact???!!!

Let me try and remember:

-- how much free time do you have with your family?

We arrived after lunch on Sunday attended a Scouts Own Service and a Campfire. The Conferences start after breakfast on Monday. If Her That Must Be Obeyed and Son were in camp we ate all meals as a family. Sessions end at 4:00 ???

Wednesday is a "Free Day" No conferences. You and family can do what you like. We visited volcano!!

There are activities in the evening for the entire family if you want to participate.

" how many uniforms do you need since you're there for a week?

I took two. Most of the day you are wearing the Activity Uniform.

"-- is there any hiking involved for those attending training sessions?

Not unless it is stated in the material. The most walking we did was when we visited the Volcano. My son did a very short overnight hike, more of a longish walk. All his kit was taken up by a truck.

-- do you have a months-long "training/get-in-shape" program I/my wife (never been to camp!)/my son (a 10-year-old Webelos who will be a boy scout and who loves camping) can follow between now and the mid-summer when we go?

No.-- a camp checklist for Philmont?

They will send you a list. It changes depending what conference you attend.

-- how to get Philmont to respond to my local council contact???!!!

Give them a phone call - They will send everything to you. You might need to get it signed by your District Training Chair.

Going to Philmont as a part of a crew and doing the trek and attending the conference center are worlds apart.

Eamonn

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of great trainings. Cubmaster and Webelos are both usually big sessions. Both are very worthwhile. I know the folks who are teaching Webelos this year and they are great. Both have been trainers for along time and have written for BSA and are experianced Philmont trainers.

There is a lot of time to have together as a family. On cub weeks most if not all the sessions are at PTC and you will eat most of your meals together. there is a free day and evening activities that are a blast for all.

If you do the Webelos session you will have the opportunity to take Webelos out on an overnighter...Don't miss the chance.

Hubby and I have also taken Pow Wow, Webelos to 1st class, Roundtable and Baloo training. All great.

Remember to see The Villa. It is something else as is the Seton Museum and Rayado at night.

Love Philmmont and will miss not being there this year