Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills at Summer Camp

I was wondering if any other Scout camps offer IOLS during summer camp to accomodate leaders. We had a suggestion to run this (weekend) course during summer camp since the SM's and ASM's have already taken off work to attend with their respective troops. If anyone has any suggestions or help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Interesting idea, I had not thought of that. It would present some challenges to get it in at camp. I would think you'd have to dedicate 2-3 hours every day. That would take away some of the effect. However, on the other hand, they would be able to go back to their campsites and put some of it to work immediately. I'll have to think on it some more.

I like the idea but think we would have a hard time finding the staff to present the training.

I kinda like the idea that it is run as a troop would run a weekend camp out. - But that's just my take on it.

Eamonn

Thank you for all the input on this idea! It is appreciated!

Another Training Chair and I have sent out emails asking for opinions on this training during summer camp. The response so far is good, with some negatives. For the most part, some of the positives are: Leaders can take this training while they have a week off work already, that the leaders can apply this training right away, and it gives Leaders something to do while the scouts are at merit badge classes.

The negatives are: the leaders like the weekend course without scouts there, the camp is too full, scarce trainers in camp.

I have had responses from Scoutmaster's that are knowledgeable in certain areas to help train a course, and leaders that want to sign up for training. So far, so good.

• 4 months later...

Hey, I told you that I'd be back! Our Council offers NLE, Leader Specific and IOLS in a one week package, 20 fun hours! It was great to get this in while I was taking the week off for Summer Camp. My classes were at the same time as the boys' merit badge classes, so it didn't interfere with my in-camp tasks. Besides, we had 7 leaders at camp, so they didn't miss me. The training was superb - and I ate better than those who had to go to the mess hall. The camp staff ate our leftovers, and gave us the thumbs up.

As the ASM for the new scouts, I was able to go back to camp and reinforce what they had learned in the new scout program that day. Geez, we were lashing all kinds of camp gadgets. I would have to agree - taking IOLS at summer camp is an outstanding opportunity to go back to your campsite and apply your skills nightly. Our trainers also gave us homework to be prepared for the next day, great for efficient delivery of training.

• 2 months later...

I like the idea. As a new scoutmaster who works weekends, I dont have the time to go to one of these courses. During this years scoutcamp the adult leaders and myself jumped at any chance for training. One of the adult leaders even went through the first year camper program with the boys.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been awhile since summer camp has ended, but I wanted to let everyone know that this training was VERY successful! We trained 24 leaders and 8 of those were from out of council units!

I am busy working out the bugs (great Woodbadge ticket ain't it ,-)) and preparing next summers training already!

I would suggest holding training during your summer camp to accomadate those leaders that just can't make weekend trainings.

I will happily share our plan with anyone that is interested. Well, that is once I have it nailed down for 2006 camping season.

Thanks for all your support!

Jane

I used to be a FOX

and a good old RED fox too!

Jane,

That's great to hear. It was a real positive experience for me. I'd like to experience my District's training program too, so I suppose I'll have to volunteer for SLT staff...

Robert

I used to be a Bear...

SR-713