just signed up for woodbadge

I'm all excited. I just paid by $160 and signed up. Was reading the shortcoming thread cause was a little worried. No worries now. Leadership course I get it. Do the Baloo and Webelos out door skill course thing for skills. I am looking forward to both.

Any suggestions or ideas of what to expect. Or if you tell me will you have to kill me....

lynn

The bandit chaser is right. Go and have fun. I made several new friends and got to know some fellow scouters much better. Last weekend we had our University of Scouting and I must have seen half of our Woodbadge class there. The first threes sessions was taught by my ASM, SM and SPL. It brought back memories.

I am the twit that started that thread. After discussing what I thought where short comings, I see that I was looking for more out of the course than what it really is. But I thought it was a good discussion. In fact driving home form work, I had what I thought was a great idea for the course, by the time I got a chance to reply, the posters had made such a good case on why the course is like it is, I never even had a chance to put my foot or keyboard in this case in my mouth again.

Hi Lynn,

If you take a long hard look at the Wood Badge icon you will get a fair idea of what you are in for and I will not have to move in with you. One of the reasons for the "Hush Hush" is that there is a lot of good stuff in the course, which is better if you hear or see it for the first time.

Think of a Camp Fire skit if you see the same one time and time again. It is still good, still funny but never as good as it was the first time that you seen it.

You got a bargain we charged $200.00 for the course a couple of years back.

Do take the time to do the pre course assignment (The 20 questions) Maybe not all at once, but over a few days and then look at them before you go to the course. These questions can be a real big help when it comes to write the ticket.

I really hope you have the best-est time and who knows you might be lucky enough to be a Bear.

Eamonn.

Lynn,

I completed my WoodBadge Course in September. Congratulations on making a big step forward. Just as Eamonn said go in and have fun. Do the precourse assignment and don't worry about the ticket. It will come.

With all due respect to Bears, hopefully you'll become a member of the Fox Patrol. We could use a few more good Foxes around here!!!

...a good ol' Bear, too.

Have a good time. Make sure to breathe and take time to look around. It's really easy to get caught up in the "gotta get this done" aspect and lose sight of the big picture. Even amongst the adults, it's all about the scouts.

A couple of other posters are right - it's not that it's a big huge secret, it's just important to get the experience all at one time for yourself rather than get it through somebody else's eyes.

Just finished my ticket after taking the fall course - getting my beads March 10th!

Vicki Hampton

C-12-04

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am quickly running out of time with 1 goal left.

Woodbadge is a great time. It is kind of like church in that you begin your service to others after the meeting.

For ticket items just think about attainable solutions to problems or areas of need in you current scouting position.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Taking the WB course again would be fun. I wouldn't take the time now because whenever I work an item, I review the skills and work the problems out using those skills. It is like one long ticket item, one after the other. I cover the bases and feel much more at ease in taking responsibility as a leader.

I am presently taking a leadership role in a District CS event in October. I arrived at the first meeting with our DE and the Activities Chair with a packet of 15 typewritten pages of goals, questions, and ideas without ever speaking to another individual. After the first Staff meeting, I had doubled the size of the packet and had recruited 10 individuals for various administrative positions. Many new goals and ideas and requests were added and I sent out our first bulletin to the new staff for our next meeting.

Since I remember how I prepared for such events in the past, I can easily compare/contrast my present work. I used to do an adequate job but my preparation now is far and beyond anything I ever did before. I owe that to the WB training I completed October 31, 1982.

Bears, Bears, on the prowl, raise high your paws and roar and growl!

FB

When I took B.S. Woodbadge in 1999, it was $150 for a WHOLE WEEK of training & I thought it was the best bargain ever (even if I did have to drive 250 to 300 miles to get to the other council). The only 'downer' I experienced was having to find my way to the latrine in the dark over rocks and stuff - flashlight and my knees had issues.

I had loads of fun - was put in Beaver patrol (thought that was a form of typecasting... used to be called "beaver" when I was a kid). Oh well... at least beavers are productive critters.

For the record, ALL the patrols are great - everyone gets to act like kids again - but Beavers come first (both in the Woodbadge song & in my heart).

Answer all your questions - it'll give you a chance to analyze your strengths & weaknesses - take all the gear they tell you you'll need, plus your comfy stuff (good soft bunk pad & pillows & a couple of warm blankets) & get ready to have a good old time. You'll enjoy yourself.

I received my beads on Feb 17th. I was the first one in my course to do so. It is a great feeling while you're doing the ticket and when you finish and get those beads it is one of the greatest feelings in the world. So go, have fun and just remember that you're there for your boys.

"A good ol Fox too!!

Must be the season... but I just signed up and recieved my iformation packet (Plus 20 questions sheet).

Course WE1-492-1-05!!

Can't Wait till May!!!

I have been waiting for 3 years to go... the stars finally lined up and I finally get to go to WOOODBADGE!!

Jerry Schleining

Scoutmaster

Troop 664

• 1 month later...

I start my first weekend Friday (Apr 1) Really looking forward to it. Started packing last night just so I would'nt forget anything. Our Course cost $150.00. From everything I've read and heard from talking to others it's money well spent. Can't wait for the Mountaintop Experience!!

I recently received my beads. I think you will really enjoy the experience. I would suggest getting busy on your ticket items as soon as you finish the course. I would develop a plan for completing the items and then work the plan to get finished. I find that what I learned in the course is useful in my job too. Have fun in the course above all,