I don't know as there is any hard and fast rules. But you are not the first person to ask. I had a participant on NE-IV-153 ask the same the same question.

Here is what I came up with. It is not a rule and if there is such a rule I would love to see it.

You should be in full proper uniform. If you are with a den you should wear the den neckerchief. If you serve as an adult in a troop or crew you should follow what ever uniform they wear.

However, if you are doing an activity that is not a unit activity feel free to wear the Troop #1 neckerchief, until you complete your ticket, then you may wear the Wood Badge regalia. Unless you are staffing a course it is not appropriate to wear the #1 with Wood Badge beads.

Eamonn.

We were told that we could wear the neckerchief at any time. The choice was ours.

Many people here chose to wear it until they've completed their tickets. Then they go back to wearing their unit neckerchiefs.

I think it falls somewhere in between a freshman beanie and a billboard. Anyway you look at it, it did serve as a great conversation starter, and many of those conversations were great fun.

I returned to my Troop after the first weekend and I wore my green Woodbadge neckerchief. I could tell the boys were somber because they knew something had changed their SM. When I completed my Ticket and wore the regalia, it happened again. It was a silent tribute and I appreciated their respect. I didn't know there was a rule governing it but the effects of wearing it deepened the change that had happened within me.

FB

At the end of the day it is about as broad as it is long.

What I didn't want to happen was for a ASM to tell the SM, that I said he was to wear it.

It kinda falls into the same thing as loops!!

I wear my silver loops, when doing district stuff but the yellow ones when doing area or regional stuff.

We have one guy, who might only be registered with the region, but I see him doing stuff around the council wearing the yellow loops and I have a puzzled look. It isn't worth asking or saying anything.

More a case of what ever trips your trigger!!

If you are happy wearing it and it is not causing anyone anything more than a puzzled look - Go For It !!

(Any uniform Police out there please note it is Eamonn with two N's)

Eamonn.

• 1 month later...

I really think it is up to you when you wear it. It is my understanding that you can wear the Gillwell tartan or your troop neckerchief until you are beaded. Wearing the Gillwell tartan is supposed to remind you to finish the ticket. I wore mine a few times but our troop does not wear neckerchiefs so I really only wore it at district or council events and to my beading ceremony. Now what do I do with it?

• 1 month later...

I have completed the six day course part of Woodbadge. My course number is SR-702. We were told that we should only wear our Troop 1 Tartan neckerchiefs while we were at the course. When we finished the second weekend training we were told not to wear the Troop 1 neckerchief again. We ask if there would be an occasion when we could wear the neckerchief like when we got our beads and we were told that we should not wear that neckerchief when we got our beads. They told us that it should be kept as a souvenir but never worn again. Period. Now is this from the Wood Badge syllabus or just our Council. I dont know.

Let's say that the request came from the staff instead of from the WB manual. Would you then wear it? Your staff may feel that it is more important to stress a uniform appearance within the units instead of having other people consider going to WB. They may feel that wearing the Green neckerchief at WB is the uniform of the day at WB and they want only trained leaders to recruit others outside the course. Following requests is important and it does not keep you from speaking about WB. I personally think that wearing it brings awareness to the course. When people do not wear it, don't talk about it, then others won't know as much about it or be as curious. Generally, the Green neckerchief will go in to the collectible box. You will wear the real one, talk about the old one and recruit people anyway.

FB

(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)